PDA

View Full Version : who has used alts

1813mdw
12-29-2010, 04:57 PM
i'm replacing my alternator tommorrow morn because my car died on theway to work. i've been searching and searching and can't find anything conclusive on which non-3g alts fit. i don't want anything less than 90amps .first hand expirience, or a good thread link would be very helpful.

lostforawhile
12-29-2010, 06:04 PM
try this one, the 4 G alternator, 80 amps and easy to make it fit in there. I would do this myself but I already have a brand new three g one, and I hate to not use it. just remember the power lead from the alternator MUST be changed. it's too small, it's at it's limit with the 65 amp alternator, eight gauge wire now, and 65 amps is right at the limit of what it can handle, you need 6 gauge wire. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30936&highlight=alternator+heater+controls&page=4

1813mdw
12-30-2010, 05:35 PM
i used a 1995 acura legend alternator and it works great except for a little bit of a alignment issue.hopefully another washer or two will line it up right, tomorrow. i upgraded the lead to 6guage; do i need to run the old one still? i drove over 40 miles today with music up, heat on, and all lights on with no prob :beer:

lostforawhile
12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
i used a 1995 acura legend alternator and it works great except for a little bit of a alignment issue.hopefully another washer or two will line it up right, tomorrow. i upgraded the lead to 6guage; do i need to run the old one still? i drove over 40 miles today with music up, heat on, and all lights on with no prob :beer:
you don't need the old lead. you have the alternator connected to the battery or something?

1813mdw
12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
yeah, its running straight yo the battery. do you think i should fuse it? i have to adjust the bracket tomorrow, its starting to tear up my belt. i need a couple more washers(spacers) to get it aligned right. i'm lovin the 110amps, no more lights dimming with the bass

lostforawhile
12-31-2010, 07:23 PM
yeah, its running straight yo the battery. do you think i should fuse it? i have to adjust the bracket tomorrow, its starting to tear up my belt. i need a couple more washers(spacers) to get it aligned right. i'm lovin the 110amps, no more lights dimming with the bass

in the original setup, the battery has a 70 amp fuse inline, this protects the alternator wiring in case of shorts, from the battery, but if something in the alternator lead shorted nothing would protect it, unless it pulled over 70 amps from the battery which would probably happen, with the amperage you are pushing they make a 120 amp breaker from little fuse, I just don't know how weatherproof it is.

1813mdw
12-31-2010, 07:48 PM
thanks, man. i appreciate the help. happy new years :cheers: