PDA

View Full Version : windshield help please?

88lxi-shortram
01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
im hitting pull a part tomoro and im dying to get a windshield. i cant pass inspection and found a guy who will install for 50. but i have to pull the windshield myself and have never done this before if anyone here has done this and can give me a steo by step that would be great. also i dont have special tools and have no money for them either so any kind house tool or metal shop tools will do.

Demon1024
01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
any sort of high tensile strength wire or other thin strong fiber and a helper will make it easy. Remove the trim on the sides and bottom. Poke threw the tacky stuff and push the wire threw it. Wrap it around a handle on both sides for grip. Now you and your helper pull back and forth on the wire sawing around the windshield. Guitar string works too. Just don't pry on the windshield or you can break it pretty easy.

88lxi-shortram
01-02-2011, 08:58 PM
thats what i was thinking. i was going to bring and utility knife, my pocket knife and some wire that ive got layn around. hopefully everything goes good and i dont mess up

lostforawhile
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
thats what i was thinking. i was going to bring and utility knife, my pocket knife and some wire that ive got layn around. hopefully everything goes good and i dont mess up

the main thing is getting the initial hole through there, one you do, use a couple of piece of broom handle and a piece of guitar string through a hole in each and wrapped around them a couple of times. like a saw

lostforawhile
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
don't forget you need to remove the wipers and the plastic cowl cover to get the windshield out, the cowl cover will be held in with those stupid plastic push nuts, you probably need something to rip them out, also you need a ten mm i believe socket to take off the wipers, if you have sockets take off the hood it will be much eaisier then working around it, four bolts and you can just cut the windshield wiper line

import racer
01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
The wiper nuts are 12mm.

cubert
01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Why not just get a brand new windshield and be done with it?

Dr_Snooz
01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Better yet, there's probably a Low Cost Auto Glass (or something similar) within about 100 feet of the yard. They send their guys in to pull your windshield and put it in for next to nothing.

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM

probably because they are usually over 200 bucks, and many replacement windshields are crap quality

88lxi-shortram
01-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Better yet, there's probably a Low Cost Auto Glass (or something similar) within about 100 feet of the yard. They send their guys in to pull your windshield and put it in for next to nothing.

they have a "low cost" windshield replacement which says 99$... but its just a scam to get you to go in. i went to ask about it and they said they charge 85 to pull it, 15 for putting the car in their port and then 35-65 depending on the car he told me my total would be 135... but i found a company thatll give me new glass and install and warranty it for 165... and they come to you.. at the junkyard you have to bring the car to them w/o a warranty and for me bringing the car in is impossible

Dr_Snooz
01-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. I had real good luck with the one I used. It was dirt cheap and worked great for as long as I had the car.

Ichiban
01-05-2011, 02:20 AM

You probably will anyways. Of the 3 or 4 glue in windshields I've tried to remove, I've broken all of them. And yes, I was taking extreme care, and using proper tools I bought for the job. So budget for new glass before you begin.