PDA

View Full Version : Low beam bulb replacement?

drock
01-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Once again, i am pretty new to this car. My question is, can i just replace the bulbs in my low beams like with an aftermarket bulb? If so, can someone tell me the bulb size? I cannot find the owners manual at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

nswst8
01-03-2011, 07:18 AM
H6054 Silverstar, I have just replaced mine. Oreilly's had the best price @ $19.99 each.

RAZR
01-03-2011, 09:24 AM
H6054 Silverstar, I have just replaced mine. Oreilly's had the best price @ $19.99 each.

are those conversions? or is it sealed beam like oem?

Pico
01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
are those conversions? or is it sealed beam like oem?

Sealed

nswst8
01-03-2011, 09:46 AM
OEM sealed, the light is bright white. I highly recommend them. I have HID H4 bulbs and am changing them back to Silverstar H6054.

RAZR
01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
OEM sealed, the light is bright white. I highly recommend them. I have HID H4 bulbs and am changing them back to Silverstar H6054.

hmm thanks for the recomendation i prolly get a set of the silverstars.

charliekuney
01-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Are those the Ultra's or not?

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
do they still make the Hella conversions?

Pico
01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
do they still make the Hella conversions?

Yes...Hella E-Code (http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744)

RAZR
01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes...Hella E-Code (http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744)

those r really expensive are there any cheaper?

Pico
01-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Do a search on ebay for Autopals, those are just as good and not so expensive

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 12:06 PM

I've seen then sell cheaper used on eBay and occasionally here

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
yep 28 bucks each with city lights and they meet the same specs as the hella, It will be a while before I can afford them, looking into what they cost, I already built upgraded harnesses for them into the car, I like the higher powered lamps, you can probably get away with it if they are aimed right, around here this is rural country so they are almost a necessity, if I went with these I could just run amber fogs and get rid of the driving lamps, 100 watt high beams and standard 55 watt low beams. does anyone who has these know if they have a totally flat lens? sealed beams have that piece of glass sticking out of one corner of the front, I was going to make some of the cool looking riveted lexan covers, to go on the light trim pieces, but that piece of glass sticks out past the trim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200mm-H6054-H4-EURO-STYLE-HEADLIGHTS-WITH-CITY-LIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26it uQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d6 113719641055478304QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ3 3710QQitemZ330461364349

drock
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
still a little confused. can i just buy the bulbs or do i have to buy the whole headlight/housing?

Pico
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
still a little confused. can i just buy the bulbs or do i have to buy the whole headlight/housing?

If you have the Hella or the Autopal housings or any other style housing mentioned above you change the bulb only,
If not you will need part# H6054 that nswst8 posted, which is a complete sealed assembly

DBMaster
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
How weird. I got my conversions about ten years ago from the Susquehanna site. They were not Hella (they are Maxtel), but the lenses were glass and they had a similar lens patter (no "diamond cut" BS). They have been great and have never leaked. A bonus is that you can change the bulbs with the headlights in the closed position without using any tools or removing the housings. I only use Hella bulbs from the Susquehanna site. They are inexpensive and they last a LONG time.

Beyond that, I can't really say that they offer much over a set of quality sealed beam lights. The glass on the housing is thicker so they might be less likely to crack from flying debris.

The lens and reflector make all the difference in the conversion housings and it's really easy to end up with crap. I had some Marchal conversions on my old Pontiac and those were awesome. But, I was comparing them to the old school tungsten sealed beams - not even halogen.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
How weird. I got my conversions about ten years ago from the Susquehanna site. They were not Hella (they are Maxtel), but the lenses were glass and they had a similar lens patter (no "diamond cut" BS). They have been great and have never leaked. A bonus is that you can change the bulbs with the headlights in the closed position without using any tools or removing the housings. I only use Hella bulbs from the Susquehanna site. They are inexpensive and they last a LONG time.

Beyond that, I can't really say that they offer much over a set of quality sealed beam lights. The glass on the housing is thicker so they might be less likely to crack from flying debris.

The lens and reflector make all the difference in the conversion housings and it's really easy to end up with crap. I had some Marchal conversions on my old Pontiac and those were awesome. But, I was comparing them to the old school tungsten sealed beams - not even halogen.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.

you got rid of Marchal conversions? :omg: those are some of the rarest lamps to get ahold of, I've been trying to get my hands on another set of their fogs for years, but the used ones always end up around 200 bucks or so on egay, killer lights.

w261w261
01-03-2011, 04:48 PM
<<...and get rid of the driving lamps, 100 watt high beams and standard 55 watt low beams >>

You've been running these? Did you do a relay setup? I tried higher-powered lights, looked at the connectors (that was the problem on an Audi I had, the connectors started to melt) and they were fine. So I drove for awhile. A few days later I had no low beams...I had cooked the light switch.

If you've been driving with no relays with those lights and haven't injured your switch, I say you're blessed.

ghettogeddy
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
i have the autopal conversions there very nice but im also using oshram silver stars

lostforawhile
01-03-2011, 05:29 PM
<<...and get rid of the driving lamps, 100 watt high beams and standard 55 watt low beams >>

You've been running these? Did you do a relay setup? I tried higher-powered lights, looked at the connectors (that was the problem on an Audi I had, the connectors started to melt) and they were fine. So I drove for awhile. A few days later I had no low beams...I had cooked the light switch.

If you've been driving with no relays with those lights and haven't injured your switch, I say you're blessed.

I have relays, I was saying I was going to run the 100 watt high beams, I already built in the capacity for the high power lamps with this wiring project. the factory switch can't even handle stock lamps without eventually failing

DBMaster
01-04-2011, 06:00 AM
The Marchal lamps I had were just the outer high/low beam lamps on my 72 Catalina. It had the four round headlamp setup. I got them from a friend whose mom totaled her BMW in an ice storm. For some reason both the inner (high beam only) lamps were broken when she bounced off a guardrail. They were really good. The reflector/lens combo put out some really even light with sharp cutoff. I had to add a headlight relay when I switched to 80/100 watt bulbs in the Pontiac. The reading I have done tells me that 80/100 watt bulbs do not provide much more light than 55/60's and they burn out significantly sooner.

When I bought the Maxtel conversions they came with stupid 80/100 watt blue bulbs. I calculated the amperage and found that the factory relays could more than handle them, but for some goofy reason my clock kept resetting itself to 12:00. The blue bulbs were not so good so I sold them on eBay and have been using standard Hella 55/60's ever since.