PDA

View Full Version : would this fit?

neo_blue_accord
01-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Found this header on ebay. Interesting design. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Exhaust-Manifold-Headers-84-87-Honda-Prelude-2-0L-/190481221440?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda|Model%3AAccord|Year%3A1989&hash=item2c5990c740 what do you think? Would it fit?

stat1K
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
theres a thread on this already, and yes it should work i would imagine. you'd be the first with an accord to buy one because the header just surfaced about 3 months ago.

lostforawhile
01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
when you get it are you good with measurements? it's a copy of the S&S , which just went out of business, I'm interested in seeing if it's exactly the same. I especially would like to see a picture of how the tubes come together inside of the collector, if there is a flat spot in the center or they are angled together. I would get rid of the ball and socket joint, and get a stainless flex coupling. you can get them reasonable on ebay. you'll also have to make a hanger bracket like factory where it attaches behind the oil pan. make sure to take lots of pictures

1813mdw
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
nice find. too bad they don't make a turbo manifold :hmph: i would like to get one of those but it seems like a waist since i wanna go turbo eventually. anyone port thier stock mani? i've got 2 1/4 straight pipe and a fartcan(came w/car) but the mani is definetley the weak link in the system

lostforawhile
01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
nice find. too bad they don't make a turbo manifold :hmph: i would like to get one of those but it seems like a waist since i wanna go turbo eventually. anyone port thier stock mani? i've got 2 1/4 straight pipe and a fartcan(came w/car) but the mani is definetley the weak link in the system

the iron one can be ported, I did mine, you have an lxi so you already are one step ahead of the dx as far as the factory exhaust. if you run the headers you are also going to save a ton of weight. that iron manifold is HEAVY!!

1813mdw
01-06-2011, 06:42 PM
thanks good to know. have to get the details from you sometime

lostforawhile
01-06-2011, 06:56 PM
thanks good to know. have to get the details from you sometime

it's just a matter of cleaning up the casting and smoothing everything out, if you have the tools you can mirror polish it, but thats a lot of work, the point of that is to reflect heat. you will do better to get a set of the OBX headers, there's only so much you can do to an iron manifold

RAZR
01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
you will do better to get a set of the OBX headers, there's only so much you can do to an iron manifold

so what is better, a stock 89 lxi manifold (4-2-1) or the obx headers?

1813mdw
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
the obx is better. lighter and flows ALOT better. i was only gonna port mine because i can't justify buying it just yo turn around and buy a custom turbo mani. i already plan on port matching the im and cleang up the runners in the head. thought it might gain a little power with maybe a stage1 triflow :dunno:

lostforawhile
01-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm going to be running the S&S headers, a porter muffler, and I already have been running the rest of the exhaust for years, I'm working on the idea of a dual outlet side exit under the rear bumper side right now, eventually when the car is ready to go back on the road, I'm going to have the headers jet hot coated, this stops corrosion and also helps insulate the headers, they normally also coat the insides, this will gain you a horsepower or two, it has to do with heat transfer, it's complicated. Of course with a turbo you don't use headers, they wouldn't do anything, because of the restriction of the turbocharger in the exhaust flow. That's a great deal on a set of stainless headers, paceshitters cost almost as much now, and they are a different design, plus they have crappy welds. the 4-1 design will work great on these engines, because they generate a lot of their torque low in the power band, that's where a 4-1 long tube header helps the most Even the stainless headers will benefit from a jet hot coating, as will everything under the hood, the very basic idea is to help keep the exhaust gasses as hot as possible, it has to do with the scavenging , maby someone can explain it in more detail

1813mdw
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
i seem to remember a post on adapting a turbo flange on a stock manifold; what do you think lost? not worth it?

lostforawhile
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
i seem to remember a post on adapting a turbo flange on a stock manifold; what do you think lost? not worth it?
there are turbo manifolds out there, you just have to look, I see them for sale from time to time, does anyone know what Johnny O did with the old turbo manifolds off of the hatch? he's not running the A20 anymore. He probably sold them, but you never know

1813mdw
01-06-2011, 08:27 PM
i recentley seen one that still needed some welding for $125. not bad imo.

lostforawhile
01-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I saw the DC sports dual tips at advance, what happened to that company? they are complete garbage like APC, says fits 1 1/4 to 2 3/4 inch pipe, all it has are little spacer blocks that put pressure on the exhaust pipe, no type of seal whatsoever, They used to make good stuff but everything I saw looked really cheap

1813mdw
01-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I saw the DC sports dual tips at advance, what happened to that company? they are complete garbage like APC, says fits 1 1/4 to 2 3/4 inch pipe, all it has are little spacer blocks that put pressure on the exhaust pipe, no type of seal whatsoever, They used to make good stuff but everything I saw looked really cheap

are the prices cheap? if so, if you find a pair you really like it might be worth it to get some adapters and weld them up yourself

LiTtLe xOx BitT
01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
you can make a turbo manifold with not much effort if you can weld. you can buy a stock A20 flange and a set or turbo flanges. then you can make a log style manifold with 2 90 degree and 2 straight peices of pipe and tie them together in the center and weld on the turbo flange. heres the one from my old accord http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2593731/1988-honda-accord

lostforawhile
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
are the prices cheap? if so, if you find a pair you really like it might be worth it to get some adapters and weld them up yourself

the DC sports tips they had were hideous looking, you can't weld away ugly

lostforawhile
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
you can make a turbo manifold with not much effort if you can weld. you can buy a stock A20 flange and a set or turbo flanges. then you can make a log style manifold with 2 90 degree and 2 straight peices of pipe and tie them together in the center and weld on the turbo flange. heres the one from my old accord http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2593731/1988-honda-accord

I keep forgetting a basic log manifold will work since pressure will build up behind the turbo and be equal across all the ports anyway, keep thinking non turbo instead of turbo. There is a link somewhere on this site to a company that makes the flange

LiTtLe xOx BitT
01-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I keep forgetting a basic log manifold will work since pressure will build up behind the turbo and be equal across all the ports anyway, keep thinking non turbo instead of turbo. There is a link somewhere on this site to a company that makes the flange

You can buy all the flanges and pipe for under like $50. its just think gas pipe with the threads cut off. 2 90's on the ends, 2 straight pieces like 3" or sofor the center 2 and then just bringing it all together into a the turbo flange. You could also probably buy one thats close to the A20 and cut the flange off and then weld on the A20 flange. shouldnt be too hard to just move the tubes over. You could do the same for a header too.

knifemind
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
you'd be the first with an accord to buy one because the header just surfaced about 3 months ago.

Not true. I have a 2g Prelude, and a 3gee. But the header is still sitting in my extra room, not on either car. :( So if he hurried he could still be the first to install one.

I especially would like to see a picture of how the tubes come together inside of the collector, if there is a flat spot in the center or they are angled together.

Best pics I could get at the moment, but the pipes are not angled together.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/knifemind/accord/028.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/knifemind/accord/027.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/knifemind/accord/026.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/knifemind/accord/023.jpg

I, too, would recommend a flex pipe instead of the ball joint.

Also, here is the thread with info on the A20 flanges. The Weirtech flanges are $20 plus shipping, and would be great for a do it yourself job. I picked up 2 and will probably just do a basic log for my first try.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69537