PDA

View Full Version : Flood damage

Hazwan
01-10-2011, 07:32 AM
So I was driving through this street when the road accidentallied flood (lololol). Anyway I underestimated how bad the flood is so needless to say my car is pretty much effed up. My interior is WET, along with my stealth alarm fucking up and my electrical going insane, folding the mirrors and won't fold out >< I've took care about the interior and the electrical and now leaves me with the engine. My air cleaner is wet. The engine stalled while I was driving through it and got me going FFUUUUUUUUUUUU. But I've managed to get her started again and limped home for like half miles away. She stumbled a little bit but runs and idles smoothly, which made me guess and hope its just from the engine sucking tiny bit of water. I'm pretty sure the engine won't even start ever again if I had it hydrolocked right?

Anyway what should I do now? So far I've drained my engine oil and took the spark plugs out. Should I run some sort of engine flush or something or will running a regular engine oil for a few hundred miles will do? What else am I missing? I'm gonna have to change my brake and clutch fluid as well.

cubert
01-10-2011, 07:56 AM
On the engine I would just run a normal oil for a little while then change it again to be on the safe side. I work at a bike shop, and used to four wheel ATV's quite a bit when I was younger so it wasn't uncommon to get water in the engine and diffs. All i would do is change the oil and forget about it.

charliekuney
01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
You know, a new pair of shoes costs a lot less than repairing a flooded car. :(

Make sure the alternator is dry! And about the hydrolocked thing: Yeah, I'm sure it wouldn't start again if it was. I went through a huge puddle once and my car stalled and I had to wait a while for it to start again...

2ndGenGuy
01-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Dude! Noooooooo! :(

Just let your car dry out, under cover for as long as you can, and get as much water out of it as possible. You did right pulling the plugs and cranking it to blow out the water. If it had hydrolocked bad, you'd have a rod making some nasty noise. So if it runs smooth now, you're probably fine. Just run some clean oil through the engine and change it again after a few miles, and get your interior vacuumed out as much as you can.

How deep was the water you drove through? For your brakes and clutch to be full of water... that's DEEP :-o

Hazwan
01-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Haha uh I don't know maybe about a foot or two? I SWEAR it wasnt too bad when I entered. Then I was like.. uh oh this is bad. FFUUUUUUUUU

Anyway thanks foor the suggestions. Will do them first thing tomorrow morning. But no worries about the interior. The carpets almost fullly dried now, idfk how but it just did lmao.

2drSE-i
01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
When i hydrolocked mine i got it started the next day. Except it went KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK until i shut it off lol. (Bent Rod)

A18A
01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
running rough might have just been water getting into teh dizzy, hopefully (Y)

carotman
01-10-2011, 06:02 PM
If it had hydrolocked, you wouldn't have been able to start it right away. I guess you'll be fine.

Hazwan
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
OMG she runs (Y) (Y) Haha started on the first try with no unusual noises or anything (Y) (Y) haha God I am so relieved! Haven't driven her yet but I've let her idling for about 10 minutes and checked the oil and its as clear as it can be so I guess I should be good. I'm gonna keep an eye on the oil for the first few hundred miles though.

My Honda never let me down <3 Speaking of that theres this one time my clutch slave cylinder went out right when I'm about to put my gear in neutral while parked in front of my house after an hour commute to school (Y)

Hazwan
01-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Oh cool apparently my alternator is dead :( Fucking bitch it was brand new too fdsfdsgsd