PDA

View Full Version : Left radio on - "fried coil?"

w261w261
01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
In an active thread here, G. White talks about frying his coil while listening to the radio. I remember back when there were points in cars, being warned that leaving the ignition on might "burn" them. I've never heard of cooking a coil, and I've had my radio on with the car off plenty of times, sometimes for an hour or more. So what's the deal with this?

Dr_Snooz
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Bad install?

A18A
01-10-2011, 07:39 PM
it's happened to me lol

lostforawhile
01-10-2011, 08:13 PM
if it's just on accessory there is no power to the coil or the igniter, you are correct on the coil if it's on ignition, if none of the poles on the reluctor in the dizzy is breaking the ground circuit, the coil has current on it, it only causes a spark when the ground is interrupted, it's not designed to have power to it constantly. it has to charge then the field collapse,charge, field collapse, or it will overheat

Oldblueaccord
01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
The only thing I can think of is the ignition is all the way on to run, Idiot lights on the dash on. But im not sure that would burn out a coil since you would think theres no signal to the coil. Just a guess.

wp

lostforawhile
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
the coil always has power, it's when the igniter interrups the ground, and the magnetic field collapses, thats what induces the high voltage in the secondary

Dr_Snooz
01-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Who would have the ignition on all the way to listen to the radio?

Never mind, I think it has to do with that damned infernal beeping when you leave the door open. For anyone else reading, if you don't want to listen to that racket, pull the interior lights fuse in the under-hood fuse box. It will keep your battery from dying and the beeping from making you crazy.

Pnem3
01-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Never mind, I think it has to do with that damned infernal beeping when you leave the door open. For anyone else reading, if you don't want to listen to that racket, pull the interior lights fuse in the under-hood fuse box. It will keep your battery from dying and the beeping from making you crazy.

I have done it, but I won't anymore. Good tip.

lostforawhile
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
http://www.bing.com/shopping/Thexton-THE469-Door-Buzzer-Sanity-Tool-Kit/search?q=door%20switch%20sanity%20tool&p1=%5bCommerceService+scenario%3d%22o%22+docid%3d% 222E12EDA271136D275006%22%5d&wf=Commerce

G. White
01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
In my defense, the coil I had before this newer one--I fried it listening to the radio for a while. Anyways, the freaking thing got so hot I couldn't touch it for about 15-20 min. Maybe its just my vehicle. Who knows.

2oodoor
01-11-2011, 04:06 PM
The only thing I can think of is the ignition is all the way on to run, Idiot lights on the dash on. But im not sure that would burn out a coil since you would think theres no signal to the coil. Just a guess.

wp

It can get pretty hot ever laid you hand on a Mopar ballest resistor that has had current running thru it a while during a no start :devil:

Dr_Snooz
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Correction: pull the Hazards fuse.

lostforawhile
01-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I think the Dx's are different, the LXi's have that overhead beeping thing, which is a different circuit with different fuses, the Dx's luckily don't have the same annoying thing

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
I think the Dx's are different, the LXi's have that overhead beeping thing, which is a different circuit with different fuses, the Dx's luckily don't have the same annoying thing

Oh yeah. That overhead beeper and me already had a CJM long ago.