PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem?

trevor129
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Hello, this is my first time posting on 3geez so please forgive me if this has already been brought up, although I think my problem is a little more unique than the others. I just bought my 87 accord LXI. I'm having some problems with the interior lights and door ajar sensors. The Dome light doesn't come on, although when it is set to the on or Door position, the left rear door open indicator in the dash illuminates even when the door is closed. When the Driver and left rear door are opened, the indicator doesn't show that the doors are open. In addition, the courtesy door lights do not come on for the right side doors when open. However, when the right side front and rear doors are open, the dash indicator shows that they are open, and the courtesy lights illuminate. When I jiggle the driver side door switch with the door open, the dash light shows that both front and left doors are open, but neither door lights illuminate, nor the dome light. Same goes for the trunk and glove box light, the trunk light doesn't illuminate, or indicate in the dash that it is open. I have done all the obvious, replaced bulbs, fuses, even the dome light assembly, with no luck. Although I don't believe it is related to the lights the rear speakers do not work with the stereo.
Does anybody have any ideas? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! -Trevor

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Good grief what a mess. It sounds like a lot of that could be caused by faulty door sensors. I would start by testing the door sensors on the left side. Are they working properly? Removal and tests are on p. 25-17 of this manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). When you've done that, test the trunk sensor in the same way. When it comes to the dome light, the bulbs are very tricky. They are a 12V, 8W bulb and they are difficult to find at the local Kragen. There is a bulb that is the same size, but different wattage and won't work. To make matters worse, it's very difficult to tell when the bulbs are burned out and they like to burn out a lot. I use an ohmmeter to check them. It's the only way I can tell. For the speakers, go stab at the wires in the trunk. If the speakers crackle, then you have a bad connection, most likely corrosion. If nothing, then you need new wires.

Try those few things and let us know how it goes.

Fedor B.
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Sounds like the same problem.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1038454#post1038454

It was solved just fine (with a little help)

trevor129
01-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Ok... So I have been able to replace and fix the door ajar sensors for the left side doors and trunk. Now the dash reports when every door is opened, however, my dome light, trunk light, and left side door courtesy lights don't come on when they're opened... I also fixed the rear speakers, there were some shorted out wires that I was able to replace. Thanks for the help so far!

Fedor B.
01-26-2011, 09:02 AM
First find out if your dome comes on when you put the black/white behinde the dome to earth.

If it does, the problem is no earth on black/white from safetyindicator to dome when door is open. If all doors are shown in the safetydisplay earth from display to doors must be fine. (later i was thinking, this is only true when dome comes on in manual position)

If it does not, the problem is no 12 volt to the dome, and then check fuse nr 13 (15A) under the hood. There also could be a brake in the split up of the wire inside the harness when it turns to the trunk.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9859/safetyindicatoraccord.jpg (http://img836.imageshack.us/i/safetyindicatoraccord.jpg/)

Dr_Snooz
01-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Have you checked the resistance of the bulb? Are you absolutely certain it isn't burned out?

trevor129
02-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Hey sorry for taking so long to reply! I have checked the bulbs and I don't think any of them are burned out... I don't have an electrical tester to use at the moment... I also have yet to find an 8w bulb... I have checked all the fuses under the hood and in the dash, everything looks fine.

anubis_4_99
02-27-2011, 09:11 AM
if you dont have a tester, you can rig a test light by useing a tail light bulb and some wire

strip both ends, and wrap one wire end around the bulbs silver case, the other end can either be used as a ground or as your probe, and the prong on the bottom of the light can be used for either or as well.

walla, test light!