PDA

View Full Version : alternator?

winkie45
10-11-2002, 01:48 PM
i just noticed that my sounds aren't as loud when i come to a stop with my foot resting on the brake. when i take my foot off, there's more bass, when i put my foot back on, less bass. Also, my car whines. this started happening ever since i had my timing belt and water pump changed maybe 6 months ago. don't know if that has anything to do with it.

also, once in a while, when my engine is hot and i try to start it, it starts and dies right away. but if i wait for a few minutes, then i can start it again. i don't know if this is all related, but could it be my alternator?
p.s. my battery light comes on for few seconds maybe once a week.

Dutchboy
10-11-2002, 01:51 PM
check the belt tension....they do stretch and when the alternators under load it may slip...
and since your running at idle and have all kinds of accesories using power the alternator is trying to keep up with power demand and will probably slow down since the engine isnt revving high enough.

BEn

BoredRec
10-11-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Dutchboy
check the belt tension....they do stretch and when the alternators under load it may slip...
and since your running at idle and have all kinds of accesories using power the alternator is trying to keep up with power demand and will probably slow down since the engine isnt revving high enough.

BEn

I second that notion

smufguy
10-11-2002, 08:06 PM
not a bad time to get a cap for ur amp.

anchovies
10-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by winkie45

also, once in a while, when my engine is hot and i try to start it, it starts and dies right away. but if i wait for a few minutes, then i can start it again.

Sounds like the ECT sensor.
But check the alt 1st to see if it fixes it.

smufguy
10-13-2002, 12:54 PM
well buddy, the first order of business to check everythign u have a small problem in ur car is to look at your ECU codes. see how many times they blink and check it with the faq on ecu codes. ur blessed with a ecu that lets u know, unlike a carb that u have to guess and check.

anchovies
10-13-2002, 08:01 PM
It won't necessarily always throw ecu codes. Sometimes there is a signal to the ecu but the wrong ones. who knows eh