PDA

View Full Version : shift light

RAZR
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
so i bought a proform shift light off ebay and it doesnt work. i have the red to positive black to ground and green to the negative side of my ignition coil(msd blaster 2) exactly how the instructions say. am i doing something wrong? or is it hooked up wrong?
and yes i tryed multiple searchs

lostforawhile
01-14-2011, 05:51 PM
so i bought a proform shift light off ebay and it doesnt work. i have the red to positive black to ground and green to the negative side of my ignition coil(msd blaster 2) exactly how the instructions say. am i doing something wrong? or is it hooked up wrong?
and yes i tryed multiple searchs

does it use the pills that plug in, or does it have dip switches

RAZR
01-14-2011, 05:53 PM
its got a potentiometer on the back ithink thats how u spell it it just a knob on the back

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250751953928&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Dr_Snooz
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Why would you need one of these?

w261w261
01-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Same reason you need a rear spoiler and a front air dam.

RAZR
01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
before u start thinking im rice i was going to modifiy it to have leds that are hidden so everything still looks stock instead of a huge light on my dash
and because i like it

RAZR
01-14-2011, 07:38 PM
but is it hooked up right? cause if it i am gunna have to go send my "y is my part broken letter" to this ebayer

89T
01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
same reason you need a rear spoiler and a front air dam.
rotflol!

89T
01-14-2011, 07:51 PM
before u start thinking im rice i was going to modifiy it to have leds that are hidden so everything still looks stock instead of a huge light on my dash
and because i like it

WUT you dont like shift lights on the dash? pshh!

but is it hooked up right? cause if it i am gunna have to go send my "y is my part broken letter" to this ebayer
wut? LOL!

seems to be wired right. but it is ebay junk so you get a 50% chance it works right.

RAZR
01-14-2011, 07:55 PM
WUT you dont like shift lights on the dash? pshh!

wut? LOL!
lolol noooooooooo i like clean cars :)

seems to be wired right. but it is ebay junk so you get a 50% chance it works right.

yeah i havent had a problem with ebay yet this is my first dead part ive got

Dr_Snooz
01-14-2011, 11:26 PM
and because i like it

I wasn't thinking rice. I was just wondering if it was useful. Based on the wiring, it doesn't seem to have any way of knowing what the engine load is. Because shift points move higher as engine load increases, your shift light would need to incorporate some kind of load indicator, like a TPS, vacuum signal or somesuch to provide accurate shift points. As I'm understanding what you've bought, you will have a pretty light turn on at some specific and unchanging rpm but not much else. If that's what you're after, then rock on. I myself would at least spring for a light that incorporates a load signal, if such a thing is available. I'm fussy like that though. Good luck with the install and take pics of the project.

RAZR
01-15-2011, 08:35 AM
I wasn't thinking rice. I was just wondering if it was useful. Based on the wiring, it doesn't seem to have any way of knowing what the engine load is. Because shift points move higher as engine load increases, your shift light would need to incorporate some kind of load indicator, like a TPS, vacuum signal or somesuch to provide accurate shift points. As I'm understanding what you've bought, you will have a pretty light turn on at some specific and unchanging rpm but not much else. If that's what you're after, then rock on. I myself would at least spring for a light that incorporates a load signal, if such a thing is available. I'm fussy like that though. Good luck with the install and take pics of the project.

yah thats what i am going for is a pretty light that turns on and thats about it :lol:
i will take pictures and when its done ill post them

lostforawhile
01-15-2011, 09:18 AM

it doesn't care about engine load, it's to remind you of redline is all

Dr_Snooz
01-15-2011, 09:48 AM
it doesn't care about engine load, it's to remind you of redline is all

Oh, got it.

lostforawhile
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Oh, got it.

really a race item, where you are shifting gears as fast as possible and don't have time to look at the tach, i did see a giant one in an auto civic one time, lol, along with a monster tach

JDMPrelude23
01-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Its ebay bro, theres your answer lol.... but nah, has to be an electrical issue. Look up youtube vids on it or google how to put it on.

lostforawhile
01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
a lot of times the ones with the dial, the contacts in the potentiometer will go bad,and it will quit working, then they get sold to someone else, it sounds like it's hooked up right, what kind of ignition is it hooked up to? is it just a coil, or do you have an ignition box?

RAZR
01-15-2011, 11:13 AM
a lot of times the ones with the dial, the contacts in the potentiometer will go bad,and it will quit working, then they get sold to someone else, it sounds like it's hooked up right, what kind of ignition is it hooked up to? is it just a coil, or do you have an ignition box?

its just a msd blaster coil 8202 no ignition box
i have it hooked up exactly as the instruction on the user manual says

lostforawhile
01-15-2011, 02:19 PM
its just a msd blaster coil 8202 no ignition box
i have it hooked up exactly as the instruction on the user manual says

is there a setting for number of cyls? if it's set to v-8 you might have to hit 13000 rpms before it thinks it's at 6500 rpm, it senses rpm directly, so somewhere on that shift light there's a setting for 4-6-8

2oodoor
01-15-2011, 03:06 PM
^^^ I agree, the device needs to know what rpms, and it probably has a ic set as a predetermined parameter with a method of tweaking that which is the pot switch potentiometer thingy.. if the pot switch is not providing the correct amount of resistance needed or spikes... much like a bad tps would do to ecu.. it will not work well with the integrated circuit.
Also many seem to have issues with tachs working with the msd boxes, this shift light would be not different. Try and see it it works on another vehicle, preferably a chevy v8

edit, msd coil but not box, well ok, is it the correct coil for a Honda.. all coils are not the same contrary to popular belief you can get less spark using coils that are out of range, and is the noise condensor in that circuit?

RAZR
01-15-2011, 03:09 PM
is there a setting for number of cyls? if it's set to v-8 you might have to hit 13000 rpms before it thinks it's at 6500 rpm, it senses rpm directly, so somewhere on that shift light there's a setting for 4-6-8

yeah there is a way set it to 4 cyl its just cutting two looped wires and i did that

RAZR
01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
^^^ I agree, the device needs to know what rpms, and it probably has a ic set as a predetermined parameter with a method of tweaking that which is the pot switch potentiometer thingy.. if the pot switch is not providing the correct amount of resistance needed or spikes... much like a bad tps would do to ecu.. it will not work well with the integrated circuit.
Also many seem to have issues with tachs working with the msd boxes, this shift light would be not different. Try and see it it works on another vehicle, preferably a chevy v8

edit, msd coil but not box, well ok, is it the correct coil for a Honda.. all coils are not the same contrary to popular belief you can get less spark using coils that are out of range, and is the noise condensor in that circuit?

yeah its the right coil its the one that a bunch of people use on here. http://msdignition.com/Products/Coils/Stock_Replacement/8202_-_Blaster_2_Coil_Hi-Performance.aspx

what do u mean in that circuit?
i didnt hook it up to the coil but its still in the factory location i didnt cut any of the noise condenser wires

lostforawhile
01-15-2011, 03:45 PM
you should have one wire to switched ignition, one to ground and one to the negative side of the coil, blue wire, you didn't hook it to the tach wire in the car did you? the factory coil has a resistor in it that drops the voltage going to the tach,ecu, ac delay, etc, you may have connected it to the tach out wire at the coil, the blue wire going to the coil from the dizzy doesn't have the resistor, but the blue wire coming out of the coil going to the harness does. you need to use a meter and hook it to the blue wire going into the coil directly from the dizzy thats your switched negative

RAZR
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
you should have one wire to switched ignition, one to ground and one to the negative side of the coil, blue wire, you didn't hook it to the tach wire in the car did you? the factory coil has a resistor in it that drops the voltage going to the tach,ecu, ac delay, etc, you may have connected it to the tach out wire at the coil, the blue wire going to the coil from the dizzy doesn't have the resistor, but the blue wire coming out of the coil going to the harness does. you need to use a meter and hook it to the blue wire going into the coil directly from the dizzy thats your switched negative

this is exactly what i did

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8725/dsc00fs49.jpg

Red to the battery
Black to ground
Green hooked up to the negative side of the coil

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3411/faefefewefsd.jpg

this all the wires that are coming out of the light
the electricle tape are the wires i cut

lostforawhile
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
whats the model number of the light, i'll see if i can find a pdf of the instructions, that seems like a lot of wires to cut

RAZR
01-15-2011, 06:04 PM
whats the model number of the light, i'll see if i can find a pdf of the instructions, that seems like a lot of wires to cut

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/manuals/Brand/Proform/ShiftLightInstructions6.pdf

i have the 67005

89T
01-15-2011, 08:03 PM
One loop is for either a 4cyl or 8cyl

The other I have no clue.

RAZR
01-15-2011, 08:18 PM
One loop is for either a 4cyl or 8cyl

The other I have no clue.

6cyl

89T
01-15-2011, 08:40 PM
does the light flash when you turn the ign on?

If not it just may need a bulb.

RAZR
01-16-2011, 06:10 AM
does the light flash when you turn the ign on?

If not it just may need a bulb.

No it doesn't and yes the bulb works it's thE same bulb as our rear turn signals so I just plugged the bulb in and it works.

lostforawhile
01-16-2011, 09:35 AM
it looks to be hooked up correctly, i guess it's just no good

RAZR
01-16-2011, 09:59 AM
it looks to be hooked up correctly, i guess it's just no good

yeah i am gunna send him a message in a little bit and see if he is gunna refund me or not. but thanks for all the help on this issue :)

lostforawhile
01-16-2011, 03:18 PM
i would almost bet someone with an msd box hooked that up to the negative on the coil, poof, fried

RAZR
01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
i would almost bet someone with an msd box hooked that up to the negative on the coil, poof, fried

so what ur saying is if i had a 6al box with my coil i couldnt hook up the light to the negative side?
i would hav to go to tach signal wire?

lostforawhile
01-16-2011, 04:50 PM
so what ur saying is if i had a 6al box with my coil i couldnt hook up the light to the negative side?
i would hav to go to tach signal wire?

you would connect it to the blue wire coming out of the dizzy, the same wire that would go to the input of the MSD box, the trigger signal, the MSD box puts out over 600 volts to the coil, nothing but the coil connects to the output of the box

RAZR
02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
so i got the shift light installed here the pics

http://img684.imageshack.us/i/dsc0017zn.jpg/

the LEDs i used
http://img59.imageshack.us/i/dsc0015yx.jpg/

this is where i mounted it
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/dsc0018qf.jpg/

where the LEDs are mounted this the dash on the driver side by the a piller btw they are red LEDs
http://img18.imageshack.us/i/dsc0020sx.jpg/

ill get a pic of it turned on tomorrow
and ohhhh boy my garage was sooooo cold!
http://img826.imageshack.us/i/dsc0037ry.jpg/

RAZR
02-12-2011, 05:35 PM
and this is what it looks like when it is on
it is brighter but the camera flash diminished it

http://img844.imageshack.us/i/dsc0001hv.jpg/

lostforawhile
02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
there's a dam fake virus scanner attached to that picture!!!!

RAZR
02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
there's a dam fake virus scanner attached to that picture!!!!

whaaa????? it didnt do that for me when i opened them

lostforawhile
02-12-2011, 05:56 PM
whaaa????? it didnt do that for me when i opened them

it's not just you, it happened on another imageshack picture here too, first the pop up was blocked then it popped up on my screen with a warning about malicious viruses and a scanner popped up, one of the fake ones with it finding 100 threats in a few seconds

RAZR
02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
it's not just you, it happened on another imageshack picture here too, first the pop up was blocked then it popped up on my screen with a warning about malicious viruses and a scanner popped up, one of the fake ones with it finding 100 threats in a few seconds

lol i hate those so much i just control alt delete and close everything out when that happens
so what do u think about the shift light?

lostforawhile
02-12-2011, 06:00 PM
i did some searching and it's hard to tell but there might be a fake imageshack site posing as the real one, thats all i can gather it's all over the web

lostforawhile
02-12-2011, 06:01 PM
lol i hate those so much i just control alt delete and close everything out when that happens
so what do u think about the shift light?

i had to shut it down, try photobucket and use the img link and it will pop up on the screen without having to click anything

RAZR
02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
i did some searching and it's hard to tell but there might be a fake imageshack site posing as the real one, thats all i can gather it's all over the web

ahh well i just searched it and the real one is imageshack.us
the fake one is .ORG

Vanilla Sky
02-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Lost, it's your computer. I can confirm that.

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Sounds like an infestation.

Razr, your light looks good. I'll confess that it would scare the living crap out of me if that suddenly came on while I was accelerating.

RAZR
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Sounds like an infestation.

Razr, your light looks good. I'll confess that it would scare the living crap out of me if that suddenly came on while I was accelerating.

well thank you it took me a long of sitting in my car to think of that spot for the leds.

haha well i have it set at 6500 so the only time it really comes on is when im really trying to go fast or just trying to get my pretty light to turn on hehehe.

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
well thank you it took me a long of sitting in my car to think of that spot for the leds.

haha well i have it set at 6500 so the only time it really comes on is when im really trying to go fast or just trying to get my pretty light to turn on hehehe.

what was wrong with it? last time i heard it wasn't working,glad it's fixed

RAZR
02-13-2011, 11:36 AM
what was wrong with it? last time i heard it wasn't working,glad it's fixed

ohh sry i forgot to say, well the buyer on ebay just refunded my money after i shipped it back and i bought a streetglow shift light for 35 bucks and it works perfectly

Dr_Snooz
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
The very first time I test drove a Bimmer, I pulled out of the dealer's lot and stamped it to the floor. I waited for it to start winding out, at which time I would shift. It never wound out though. It just pulled hard right into the rev limiter. It scared me so bad nearly blowing up a $50k car that I pulled over and let someone else drive it back to the dealer's lot.

It should have had a shift light.

RAZR
02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
The very first time I test drove a Bimmer, I pulled out of the dealer's lot and stamped it to the floor. I waited for it to start winding out, at which time I would shift. It never wound out though. It just pulled hard right into the rev limiter. It scared me so bad nearly blowing up a $50k car that I pulled over and let someone else drive it back to the dealer's lot.

It should have had a shift light.

dangggg what kind of bimmer was it?

RAZR
03-28-2011, 10:43 AM
i was thinking about hooking up a little buzzer or tone device or something like that so it sounds when the shift light activates.

like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HEuo77DnM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

would this be hard?
could anybody tell me how to do it?

i am not really sure how to even start so any help is appreciated

RAZR
03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
nobody has anything to say?

lostforawhile
03-28-2011, 06:46 PM
i was thinking about hooking up a little buzzer or tone device or something like that so it sounds when the shift light activates.

like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HEuo77DnM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

would this be hard?
could anybody tell me how to do it?

i am not really sure how to even start so any help is appreciated

you just need a dingy to hook up to the light, the input to the lamp itself is 12 volts right?

RAZR
03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
you just need a dingy to hook up to the light, the input to the lamp itself is 12 volts right?

yeah its 12 volts
but i didnt want to get a 12v dinger and have it be like a buzzer that is really annoying

could u make any recomendations on "dingies"??

lostforawhile
03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
yeah its 12 volts
but i didnt want to get a 12v dinger and have it be like a buzzer that is really annoying

could u make any recomendations on "dingies"??well cah is banned. :bowrofl: ba da bam, but could get some dingers from the junkyard until you find one you like, what about a voice module that says WARNING danger to manifold, just kidding

RAZR
03-28-2011, 07:09 PM
well cah is banned. :bowrofl: ba da bam, but could get some dingers from the junkyard until you find one you like, what about a voice module that says WARNING danger to manifold, just kidding

lolol yeah i miss CAH he was hilarious.
and im not going all fast furious :rice: on my car lol

and there like no good yards around me ive been to a couple and it all totally stripped cars or they have been rolled with a bunch of blood and im not touching that shit