PDA

View Full Version : Whinning car

AZmike
10-11-2002, 02:25 PM
I can hear something in the front of my car whine, especially when near a curb or something else that reflects the sound back. It only happens when cruising (not coasting). It seems loudest in 5th, but since I spend almost all my time in 5, I might just not notice it other times. My tranny oil is topped off.

Someone said it might be my tranny bearings, but it's been a while since he's worked with cars so I was hoping someone here would be familiar with this problem (or is it normal?).

It's not really loud, but it's definitely there. Do all of our cars whine a little?

I'm gathering parts for a rear main seal swap and wanted to know if I needed to do anything else while it was apart to fix this (if it actually is a problem) when everything will already be apart.

Thanks

rocky2
10-11-2002, 03:13 PM
You may need to replace wheel hubs. These cannot be greased as old rear wheel drive cars. This would be a great boneyard buy cause they are most likely in good condition, they last very long .

Dutchboy
10-11-2002, 03:31 PM
wheel bearings...probably..
or the tires

BEn

AZmike
10-11-2002, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't it keep making noise when coasting at 50 mph if it's my bearings or tires? Like I said above, it only makes the noiise when the engine is driving the wheels. If I let off the gas or push in the clutch while moving the noise stops.

Any other ideas?

netfreak
10-11-2002, 05:55 PM
I think I had an identical problem with whining.. Turned out to be the alternator.

AZmike
10-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Did your alternator finally die and the noise went away when you replaced it? That's weird that it only makes the noise when the engine is pulling the car and that it doesn't do it when coasting or idling.