PDA

View Full Version : Woodruff Key?

firefighterwhite89
01-16-2011, 03:03 AM
Technically, wouldn't a same sizedwoodruff key from tractor supply work on our crank/crank pulley? i'm just curious. A guy i met who lives by my mom owns an 87'. It's on jacks in his backyard, and i talked to him about it. Apparently, he lost his.

Dr_Snooz
01-16-2011, 07:53 AM
What is the worry? That it won't fit or that it won't last? If it fits and isn't some pot metal junk then it should work great. If you're concerned, then grab one from the junkyard instead.

MessyHonda
01-17-2011, 12:31 AM
i remember some one just cut a washer to stick it in

firefighterwhite89
01-17-2011, 02:51 AM
What is the worry? That it won't fit or that it won't last? If it fits and isn't some pot metal junk then it should work great. If you're concerned, then grab one from the junkyard instead.

It's not my car, not my problem though. I was just curious. I was unsure what to do, so i referred him to tractor supply where i know they sell them, just wasn't sure if Honda had their own "Special Woodruff Key".

2oodoor
01-17-2011, 05:27 AM
that wouldnt be any reason for the car to be DRT, geez most napa stores have a dorman selection of them,the key just needs to fit the groove in the shaft and pulley so it doens't loose indexing.
Not like its a sheering key like in a lawnmower small engine.

Im not sure what there made of, must be nickel cuz a lot of times a magnet wont pick it up. If that were the case you could rig up an old speaker mag and strap it to a broom stick and scan the ground with it to pick up metal objects.

Pico
01-17-2011, 05:51 AM
i remember some one just cut a washer to stick it in
I did that when I installed frantik's cam gear, dam key dropped into the deep unknown..

firefighterwhite89
01-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys, for the ideas. I'll let him know next time I'm out at my moms.

firefighterwhite89
01-17-2011, 06:06 AM
I did that when I installed frantik's cam gear, dam key dropped into the deep unknown..

Deep unknown as in grass? I once got an Evo VII Head stud washer out of its oilpan, through the oil drain hole in the head via small guitar string with a tiny strong magnet duck taped to the end. Took 5 beers and 45 frustrating mins. of my life to get it out finally. Saved nearly an hour 1/2 time though from having to disconnect oil hoses/drop the oilpan/new gasket.

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Deep unknown as in grass? I once got an Evo VII Head stud washer out of its oilpan, through the oil drain hole in the head via small guitar string with a tiny strong magnet duck taped to the end. Took 5 beers and 45 frustrating mins. of my life to get it out finally. Saved nearly an hour 1/2 time though from having to disconnect oil hoses/drop the oilpan/new gasket.

Dude, you're good.

Honestly, for that key, I would buy a new one from the dealer. It's not expensive enough to justify going to any great lengths not to buy it.

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
it's an oddball size metric key, I thought mine was gone once, looked everywhere for it for hours, couldn't find another, somehow it showed up directly under where the crank pulley was, this was on concrete

2drSE-i
01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I dropped my key literally four times, INTO the lower timing cover. Each time, i loosened the lower timing cover bolts, got the key out, and tightened it back up. Put the crank pulley on, put the key (Almost) in, only to have it fall again. The last time, i put it in with a magnet. (45 frustrating minutes later)

I can honestly say i can have that lower timing cover on and off in ten minutes though.

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
I dropped my key literally four times, INTO the lower timing cover. Each time, i loosened the lower timing cover bolts, got the key out, and tightened it back up. Put the crank pulley on, put the key (Almost) in, only to have it fall again. The last time, i put it in with a magnet. (45 frustrating minutes later)

I can honestly say i can have that lower timing cover on and off in ten minutes though.use a little contact cement to keep it from falling out while it's going together, works great and it's flexible so it stays in place, gasket tack is basically the same thing

2ndGenGuy
01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Yep, I lost mine in the gravel. It's like $1.40 from the dealer. I kept screwing around trying to find 1304983948 different keys that wouldn't fit. Dealer is the only place to go. Pick up 2 while there... ;)

Ichiban
01-18-2011, 02:20 AM
I dropped the B20A crank key in the dirt in the driveway. Twice. Finally my sister came over and found it.

Also, I'm sure it's not a Woodruff key, rather a square key. Woodruff keys are the semi-circular ones.

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2011, 08:31 AM

I can honestly say i can have that lower timing cover on and off in ten minutes though.

Sounds like there is a longer story here, but it's a best practice to put the engine at TDC before placing the key. It will be much less likely to fall out if the slot is pointing up.

2drSE-i
01-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Sounds like there is a longer story here, but it's a best practice to put the engine at TDC before placing the key. It will be much less likely to fall out if the slot is pointing up.

I did not move anything initially, hoping i wouldn't have to time the thing. Once i got the pulley on i realized that i was not timed correctly anymore, so then i put it at TDC and lined everything up. Your right, it would have been much easier to start at TDC but i was silly.

firefighterwhite89
01-19-2011, 12:49 AM

ROFL. For some reason, i stopped at a green lights, twice, within 15 mins. today. I believe someone wrote about that awhile ago. I wasn't really paying a whole lot of attention though i should have been, but i have so much on the noggin atm. I got lost within my own thought.

Yep, I lost mine in the gravel. It's like $1.40 from the dealer. I kept screwing around trying to find 1304983948 different keys that wouldn't fit. Dealer is the only place to go. Pick up 2 while there... ;)

Cost $3.19 ea. from the Jerry Damson Honda dealership up in Huntsville. It was on my way to a friends. Did get two, one just in case, and one for my moms neighbor:bong:. I hate seeing these cars sitting on jacks/broke etc. The sales guy who rung up my sale at the Honda dealership, drives a Pristine 89' LXi "that's fully serviced by Honda techs" still today. I refered him to this site. Maybe he'll come on board. Who knows.