PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Wheel Cylinder

estooie
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, just took my car to Meineke and they were trying to charge me $250 to replace the brake wheel cylinders in the rear cuz they were leaking, as well as the brake shoes. I looked up the parts online, and they were only around $20. Question is, how hard is it to replace those on my own?

phrenology
01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey guys, just took my car to Meineke and they were trying to charge me $250 to replace the brake wheel cylinders in the rear cuz they were leaking, as well as the brake shoes. I looked up the parts online, and they were only around $20. Question is, how hard is it to replace those on my own?

If you live near the Junkyard you could probably get all the se-i rear disc setup pieces for $250. I watched my friend switch the rear drum cylinders out at the shop. He had it on a lift and it still took him at least 20 minutes aside with proper tools. Then you have to drain the entire system, flush, and fill, and purge the lines from the master cylinder back. If you have not done brake work before I recommend finding someone to help out, because if you get air in the lines or don't lock down the drain plugs properly you could loose brakes at a critical time, and that could be really bad. :nervous:

1813mdw
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
drum shoes and wheel cylinders are easy as hell. get a haynes manual and dig in. i'd prefer replacing drum brakes over the rotor setup any day. you will need a friend to help you bleed the brakes, but its not hard.

conozo
07-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Replacing the calipers and cylinders are pretty easy. If you don't feel confident bleeding the system you can replace them then attempt to bleed most of the air out and can drive to a nearby shop to have them bleed it for a peace of mind and it would save you some money from having them do it all.

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2012, 07:39 PM
This is an older thread, but I wouldn't recommend that someone drive around on faulty brakes. Even if it is to the shop.

conozo
07-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Hmm, not sure how this thread came up as new post for me?

Dr_Snooz
07-08-2012, 09:03 PM
The database gremlins strike again! LOL