PDA

View Full Version : Bent suspension subframe on 89 lxi :(

visal911
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Hello,

I'm new here and my 89 accord LXI has a bent subframe from sliding into a curb on a winter night in the snow( because another car was doing a right turn on a red light and slid and i overreacted). I hit the curb sideways at around 30kmph and the wheel was gone backwards about 2 inches. I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the lower control arm and the torsion bar( is there another name for it?) And then we tried the car out but it goes way too much sideways and its really dangerous to drive right now. ( its parked right now)

Anyway i live in Toronto and there are not many 3gees i can get the subframe off from. And the ones i can, they are really rusted out. So my question is, will a civic, 4th gen accord or crx subframe fit my car?

And is it worth fixing me car? I bought it for $500 and it has done 210,000kms and its 5 speed. I really love the car and really heartbroken right now at the thought of junking my beloved 3rd gen :nervous:

Thanks a lot
Visal

A18A
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
by torsion bar, do you mean the radius rod? (the one that goes from the front cross member to the lower control arm)

was a wheel alignment done after those parts where replaced?

gp02a0083
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
i just had this happen to me last week when we got snow, i replaced the LCA like you did and did an alignment, caster was off 2 degrees, just had enough adjustment to get it to 0.01 degrees. My sub frame is also bent a little bit , not by much but it doesn't take much to bend it at all. best bet is calling an auto recycle facility .

visal911
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
@ A18A - Yes i meant the radius rod. For some reason everyone here keeps referring to it as a torsion bar( i think its correct too, as well as strut bar)

Well i didn't get it aligned because my mechanic told me the subframe was bent too much to get it aligned properly. He also said getting alignment done would be waste of money without straightening the sub frame.

@ gp02a0083 did you mean i can bend the subframe back? Its pretty rusty though, because of the salt they use every year in the roads around here. I went to a junkyard couple of times but couldnt find another 3gee.

carotman
01-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I had this happen to me too the last time my car was driven in the snow :( I had to replace the subframe.

It's not that hard to do. It was easier to find these parts 10 years ago tough.

Call these guys:
http://www.chassel.calls.net/en/

They're a Honda only junkyard. They do have 3rd gens from time to time and they might be able to ship you the part you need.

They don't speak english that well but hey, what else would you expect from a French Canadian :D

visal911
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey i emailed them and i will call them tomorrow and ask. Do you have any idea how much they will charge for a subframe?

Thanks a lot!

also does anyone know any other subframes would fit this year accord?

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
is it the same front frame as the USDM accord? if it is, I'm sure it wouldn't be that much to have it shipped truck freight from the US, cheaper then a car, and probably less rusty then a northern one ,maby someone here could ship one and a radius rod if needed

visal911
01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah its exactly same as the USDM one...my accord is Japanese made but i'm 99% sure its the exact same. I wish i could find a nice sub frame from the south but there is nothing at all on ebay. Where else can i check?

Well i saved up some money to restore her and give her a new paintjob (BRG) so i do have a bit of money to spend on her right now and i wouldn't care spending money because she has been really good to me. 10,000kms with nothing major in the last 4 months!

And all of you have been so amazing! i honestly didn't expect this much of a fan base for 3gee accords. I'm glad i bought one now :) Thank you.

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah its exactly same as the USDM one...my accord is Japanese made but i'm 99% sure its the exact same. I wish i could find a nice sub frame from the south but there is nothing at all on ebay. Where else can i check?

Well i saved up some money to restore her and give her a new paintjob (BRG) so i do have a bit of money to spend on her right now and i wouldn't care spending money because she has been really good to me. 10,000kms with nothing major in the last 4 months!

And all of you have been so amazing! i honestly didn't expect this much of a fan base for 3gee accords. I'm glad i bought one now :) Thank you.

we have a bunch of southern members if someone could get the weight and what it would cost to ship, I'm sure someone could pull one for you. We don't have any three geez at the local yard right now, or I would pull one, I don't even think you need to crate one of those, slap the label on it and ship it as is. I'm not sure how many posts you need but put a post in the classified section.

visal911
01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I will definitely look around in classifieds. Thanks. I hope some of those members would see this. If its rust free, it would be worth the shipping cost i guess.

carotman
01-18-2011, 04:53 AM
So, you need part #6 right?

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa/images/illustration/31/879020.png

AccordEXI
01-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I notice you're in Toronto. I'm down the QEW in Oakville and can tell you it won't be easy finding a 3rd gen Accord at a local wrecker. Best bet in Toronto would be Standard Auto Wreckers but they had none when I was there in early December.

Your best option is Plazek Auto Recyclers in Caistor Centre (near Grimsby). A little far but they have several subframes shown in inventory. I bought a nice, rust free subframe from them in November for $75. It's not a u-pick type yard. A guy will drive you out to the car so you can check out the part and remove it for you, if it's not already removed.

visal911
01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
@ carotman - No i need part 2.....(according to my mechanic)

visal911
01-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I notice you're in Toronto. I'm down the QEW in Oakville and can tell you it won't be easy finding a 3rd gen Accord at a local wrecker. Best bet in Toronto would be Standard Auto Wreckers but they had none when I was there in early December.

Your best option is Plazek Auto Recyclers in Caistor Centre (near Grimsby). A little far but they have several subframes shown in inventory. I bought a nice, rust free subframe from them in November for $75. It's not a u-pick type yard. A guy will drive you out to the car so you can check out the part and remove it for you, if it's not already removed.

I will give them a call for sure. I called Standard and they quoted me $200 for one from NY. But i havent gone to the yard to see if they have any 3rd gens. They have a ton of 4th gen accords....i dont think they work though. Thanks a lot though.

visal911
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
@ AccordEXI - I called Plazek today and they can get me one for $75. I'm gonna be going to go see it and pick it up this weekend ( 100km drive) and get her fixed really soon. Cant wait to drive her.

Oh btw my dad took my car for a spin to see how bad it is, and he spun out to a curb and smashed a back light and dented the area above the light a bit. Should be a easy fix at the body shop. I think i can get a light on ebay for about $40.

Thanks for the help everyone!

visal911
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
My car is getting fixed as of right now! Thanks a lot everyone! specially AccordEXI

Dr_Snooz
01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Yay! Keep that car rollin'! Congrats.

visal911
01-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks :) its a quite expensive repair though. Because my mechanic had to take out the steering rack and everything. But i don't really care because it was my fault that i crashed it and if i junked the car i would never forgive myself. Not to mention she has been really good to me and brought me home regardless of whatever was wrong with her.

MessyHonda
01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks :) its a quite expensive repair though. Because my mechanic had to take out the steering rack and everything. But i don't really care because it was my fault that i crashed it and if i junked the car i would never forgive myself. Not to mention she has been really good to me and brought me home regardless of whatever was wrong with her.

thats the spirit...i cant really give up my car...she has been so good to me no mater what