PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Lx-i from Toronto!

visal911
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is visal and i have a 1989 Lxi. Its 5 speed and and it had done 200,000kms when i got it. Now it has 210,000 ( in 5 months).

I was planing on fixing all the rust and painting it BRG and making it look clean. But i got into accident. What happened was i was going downhill in the snow and it slid into a curb at like 30 kmph. I bent a control arm and broke a torsion bar and also bent the front subframe. Looks like all the money i saved to restore her is going towards this repair :dunno:

The problem is, its so hard to find a subframe for a 3gee in Toronto. The only one i found was so rusted out and i'm pretty sure its not safe( i drive a lot in my car) anyways will a civic, prelude or 4th gen accord subframe fit?

I really love this car and i really want to fix it up and enjoy it for many years to come :)

Thanks a lot
Visal

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Welcome! One more post and you can post pics of your car. Good luck with the repair. If you want to start doing your own work (instead of paying a mechanic), start by getting familiar with this manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). Everyone here is also ready to help as you learn.

1813mdw
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
welcome, buddy. if you absolutely cannot find a 3gee sub frame you could find a bodyshop w/a computerized framerack. when i was in autobody class the going rate was around $300(US) for the 1st hour and extra if it took longer. these are very accurate machines. their are cheaper ways; including finding an old oak tree,a chain, a 4x4, and measuring tape(i've done it on my old smallblock fiero) but that is nowhere a accurate as the framerack. good luck; and i hope you find a subframe

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
welcome, buddy. if you absolutely cannot find a 3gee sub frame you could find a bodyshop w/a computerized framerack. when i was in autobody class the going rate was around $300(US) for the 1st hour and extra if it took longer. these are very accurate machines. their are cheaper ways; including finding an old oak tree,a chain, a 4x4, and measuring tape(i've done it on my old smallblock fiero) but that is nowhere a accurate as the framerack. good luck; and i hope you find a subframe

it would be cheaper for him to have one shipped from a US junkyard, or have someone here ship it. I'm assuming he's talking about the front piece that unbolts, they are designed to absorb impact and just be replaced

visal911
01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Welcome! One more post and you can post pics of your car. Good luck with the repair. If you want to start doing your own work (instead of paying a mechanic), start by getting familiar with this manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). Everyone here is also ready to help as you learn.

Hey that looks way better than the haynes manual! Thanks a lot!

visal911
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
it would be cheaper for him to have one shipped from a US junkyard, or have someone here ship it. I'm assuming he's talking about the front piece that unbolts, they are designed to absorb impact and just be replaced

Yeah i thinks its cheaper to ship it too. I would try the tree method but i drive my car a lot at 100kmph and i wouldn't want anything to happen to me at those speeds.

And the part i need is where the lower control arm and where the radius rod connects to. Its called the suspension subframe right? Do you guys know any U.S junk yards where i can get it shipped from?

Thanks a lot

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah i thinks its cheaper to ship it too. I would try the tree method but i drive my car a lot at 100kmph and i wouldn't want anything to happen to me at those speeds.

And the part i need is where the lower control arm and where the radius rod connects to. Its called the suspension subframe right? Do you guys know any U.S junk yards where i can get it shipped from?

Thanks a lot

we have southern members it's not that hard to pull, but i don't know what shipping would be

visal911
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
I will look around locally first i guess. I might buy a new 3gee for parts. Check this one out. only 146,000 kms!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-Honda-Accord-Sedan-700-o-b-o-W0QQAdIdZ252726019

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I will look around locally first i guess. I might buy a new 3gee for parts. Check this one out. only 146,000 kms!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-Honda-Accord-Sedan-700-o-b-o-W0QQAdIdZ252726019

if you can find a parts car do it, then you have all kinds of spares as you need them

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

The pin-striping seems to have lost it's nerve somewhere before the front of the car. :kekeke:

charliekuney
01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
^ Naw, it just got loose when the car broke 100mph. ;)

visal911
01-18-2011, 09:23 PM
if you can find a parts car do it, then you have all kinds of spares as you need them

Yeah i know..that car is too good for parts though. i found another for $250, it has done 400k..im gonna see if the underbody is okay...and those bolts are so hard to take off when they are rusted.

visal911
01-18-2011, 09:23 PM
The pin-striping seems to have lost it's nerve somewhere before the front of the car. :kekeke:

Haha i don't think that was stock...

visal911
01-18-2011, 09:24 PM
^ naw, it just got loose when the car broke 100mph. ;)

lol

Sean619
01-25-2011, 02:33 AM
u got the same color as mine and i think except black burgerdy is pretty good looking for a accord.

carotman
01-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Well the picture in the ad isn't the actual car

thats not the car in the pic but its the same one

It would make a nice parts car I'm sure.

visal911
01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah its not but it apparently looks just like that.

And i didnt buy that car for parts because i dont really have a place to park it and stuff. so i bought a used subframe with the control arms and the stabilzer bar and everything for $75. Its getting fixed right now :)

Thanks for the help everyone!