PDA

View Full Version : Whats best way to get coupe through emissions?

mykwikcoupe
01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Many of you know of my green coupe, very few have seen it and of those I doubt any have been disappointed. Anyways I have changed final processes again. This wont be turbo'ed anymore. I have the b20a installed and it has run under its own power. The trans has been rebuilt and it works great aside from the way too stiff pressure plate.

I have Johnny O's subframe mostly done but probably going to put the stocker back in. I need to find a good exhaust of have one built. I have a downpipe thanks to roodoo but thats as far as it goes.

The worst part, the odb1 tune is just a basic tune, I need to have it gone through as it hasnt ever been dyno tuned, street tuned or anything. I dont have a wideband and cant currently afford one.

Im wondering how you would get it through emissions and what steps you would take to get it there. Thanks for the help

MessyHonda
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM
what do they look for? does it just have to pass the sniffer or visual too?

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
ON this subject, I've been told there is an adapter box available that converts a wideband O2 sensor to a USB input, and allows you to graph the readings on a laptop, anyone else heard of this? I believe that many late model cars have wideband sensors standard, which cuts the cost to a junkyard part.

charliekuney
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I think in Washington you have to test the car as the engine. So, your car would have to be tested as a JDM imported Accord.

mykwikcoupe
01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
yes they test the cars emissions output based on the year and make of the car. It doesnt matter what engine you have or anything they will test to how the car came.

forrest89sei
01-17-2011, 10:06 PM
ON this subject, I've been told there is an adapter box available that converts a wideband O2 sensor to a USB input, and allows you to graph the readings on a laptop, anyone else heard of this? I believe that many late model cars have wideband sensors standard, which cuts the cost to a junkyard part.

http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/fuel_timing/LM1.htm

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

?

charliekuney
01-18-2011, 08:42 AM
yes they test the cars emissions output based on the year and make of the car. It doesnt matter what engine you have or anything they will test to how the car came.

I don't think so. My nephew had a 1990 Geo Storm with a 1993 Isuzu Impulse engine and his car had to be tested as an Impulse.

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
A little more info on the test would be great. Here in CA, they do a visual to make sure you haven't changed anything on the engine. I'm assuming you don't have that, because you have some pretty extensive mods. As for emissions, what do they test for? In CA, they test for HC, NOx and CO.

Let's get a little more info on the test and your specific concerns and we can go from there.

MessyHonda
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
You can try to smog it As a 3rd gen lude engine but if it's just the siniffer test you can tune it to pass

RobT5580
01-18-2011, 01:28 PM
I have run a stock B20A on a A20 ECU at least twice and passed with flying colors. The first time i took it a young kid ran it and he made a comment about the torque but no one ever said anything about it being a DOHC.

2ndGenGuy
01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
What do you usually do to pass emissions here? Sniffer test?

charliekuney
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
They:

1) test the gas cap for leaks (which is why three of my cars have failed)
2) put the pipe over the exhaust and do whatever
3) put some cable/sensor on the spark plug wires

...at least that's what they've always done here in King County.

mykwikcoupe
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
since I ahve upgraded to obd1 the stock a20a wont work anymore right? The location of a we wires in the harness have changed correct?

Yes they test for hydrocarbons at idle and cruise speeds of 25 mph. They also test for CO at cruise and idle as well. Thats what the sniffer test is for. Believe it or not, I dont think its really acurrate, the power wire in the cigarette lighter slot is for rpm. They test you within a certain range 500-1200 rpm or something.

2ndGenGuy
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Well, then I'd say your best chance to pass is to not say anything about the engine, take it in, and see what happens. They probably won't notice that it's not a stock engine, or even care. If it pulls higher emissions than normal, then you'll have to go from there.

mykwikcoupe
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
since we dont do the visual inspection, they have no way of knowing its not stock. I would have to admit it to them.

ZackieDarko
01-18-2011, 06:38 PM

this is truth. they tested my b16 hatch as a stock 86 LX-i with the A20

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, just keep your trap shut when you take it in. On the visual, they are just checking to see that the emissions equipment originally installed on the car (EGR, AIR pump, Cat, etc.) is still there. If it's there and appears to be reasonably operational, you'll pass. They will probably also check the timing, so be sure it's right for an A20. For the sniffer, if the car is running well, you'll probably pass just fine. If you have a chip that makes it run super rich or anything, then you'll need to get that fixed. If your B20 is pretty well stock, then I can't see that you'll have any problem.

mykwikcoupe
01-18-2011, 09:56 PM
the problem that I'm having is that since I upgraded to obd1, installed a victor x intake, larger TB and different exhaust I don't have a tune for the engine yet. All Ive got is a tune that starts it. I'm trying to find a way to tune it better the engines needs. I obviously don't have the tools or experience in this just yet.

stat1K
01-19-2011, 06:58 AM
take it in to be tuned? or find someone that can street tune it with a wideband? obviously you'd need a chipped ecu.

lostforawhile
01-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I would say remove the chicken shit first, but does a chicken sedan need to meet the same emissions requirements? sorry, I couldn't pass it up. My neighbors chicken coop has plenty of emissions, I can smell it all the way across the street. :rofl: http://cdn0.lostateminor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/nogg-coop.jpg

2oodoor
01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
definatley need a read on the exhaust so get the wideband going

:lol:I dont think the parakeet test works here unless you had a whole bag of them, a notepad and stopwatch

gp02a0083
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
an old trick that my father taught me for emissions is a simple oil change to bring down the hydrocarbons and fresh gas. That is on a stock system. I don't know in your case being there are a few mods. Possibly changing the timing slightly might help.

RobT5580
01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I would just run it the way it is....I have only failed once due to a faulty fuel cap and no one has ever question the B20A since they look stock given they utilize factory mounts. If you had some huge aluminum mounts they would probably question it as a swap but it looks OEM in the car.

SQ is the SQUAD
01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
good ol MA anything before 1996 dosent have any emissions testing

2ndGenGuy
01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
1996? lmao, wow!

charliekuney
01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
OBD2, brotha.

MessyHonda
01-23-2011, 11:16 PM
good ol MA anything before 1996 dosent have any emissions testing