PDA

View Full Version : Burn Smell......

TsubohachiLX-i
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Hello 3Geez!!!

Can someone tell me what could cause a burn smell to come from the engine bay after my LX-i reaches normal temperature at idle or while driving? I popped the hood and noticed that the smell seems to be coming from the front of the engine, around the cylinder head/exhaust manifold area......

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Hello 3Geez!!!

Can someone tell me what could cause a burn smell to come from the engine bay after my LX-i reaches normal temperature at idle or while driving? I popped the hood and noticed that the smell seems to be coming from the front of the engine, around the cylinder head/exhaust manifold area......

you most likely have one of three things, all easily fixed, and common problems, most likely is the valve cover gasket is leaking, when you get the gasket it will have a gasket and three grommets, search on here for instructions on how to replace it, second and very common, the O ring on the distributor shaft is leaking, cheap part and easy to replace, get several, every time you pull the distributor you'll have to replace it. another possibility is the power steering line is leaking, if it's this, it needs to be fixed, as it can cause an engine fire.

1813mdw
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
my 1st guess would be oil on the exhaust manifold. does it leak from the valve cover gasket? also make sure no wires or hoses are too close to the manifold. another guess would be a small coolant leak. if you do not know the difference in smells a visual inspection comes 1st.

TsubohachiLX-i
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
i looked under the car this morning and noticed that there's oil on the exhaust pipe near the flex....judging by the color it looks like engine oil.....

what could be leaking back there?

lostforawhile
01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
i looked under the car this morning and noticed that there's oil on the exhaust pipe near the flex....judging by the color it looks like engine oil.....

what could be leaking back there?
near the flex pipe? it's probably the oil filter base gasket, behind the oil filter is the thing the filter screws on to, it unbolts with a few bolts, after you take off the oil sender on top, there's a special O ring on there behind it, they go bad, and oil will leak out under pump pressure, it's a dealer item, but not expensive, the main thing, is making sure the bolts are torqued evenly, and not over torqued, or it will leak

TsubohachiLX-i
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
thanx dude i'll look into that this weekend......

Dr_Snooz
01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
What does it smell like? Oil, coolant, wires?

MessyHonda
01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
near the flex pipe? it's probably the oil filter base gasket, behind the oil filter is the thing the filter screws on to, it unbolts with a few bolts, after you take off the oil sender on top, there's a special O ring on there behind it, they go bad, and oil will leak out under pump pressure, it's a dealer item, but not expensive, the main thing, is making sure the bolts are torqued evenly, and not over torqued, or it will leak

just my guess or also the oil pan gasket...mine would leak to the downpipe

lostforawhile
01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
just my guess or also the oil pan gasket...mine would leak to the downpipe

it could be but thats usually more forward, if the pan gasket is going, while it's being replaced, it's not that much more work to fix that filter base gasket, cheap insurance