PDA

View Full Version : Stock Engine Swap

3GLXIHatch
01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
A guy I know qouted me 575 to replace the engine in my 87. I have never had an engine replace, and dont know if this is too much. If it is too much how much should I expect to pay.

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
whats wrong with the one you have? if you could find a good used one, maby someone is near you to help, it's not that hard to swap these engines

Edison Carasio
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Is that for labor AND the new engine, or is that for just labor or just engine? Also, if it's a new engine, is it just stock out of a junk yard or rebuilt/tuned up in good condition?

3GLXIHatch
01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
It is just for labor. The engine is going to be a used out of the junk yard with 100k on it. The person that owned it before me put water in the coolant and it froze and cracked the block. Cant find a block local and to get a rebuilt block would be around 400 shipped, so just though I would buy a used low mileage engine. I thought 575 seemed high. The used engine will be 350

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
It is just for labor. The engine is going to be a used out of the junk yard with 100k on it. The person that owned it before me put water in the coolant and it froze and cracked the block. Cant find a block local and to get a rebuilt block would be around 400 shipped, so just though I would buy a used low mileage engine. I thought 575 seemed high. The used engine will be 350

thats high for labor, we have guys here who can swap an engine in a few hours if that, it's not that bad

3GLXIHatch
01-17-2011, 09:04 PM
whats wrong with the one you have? if you could find a good used one, maby someone is near you to help, it's not that hard to swap these engines

Me and my dad could do it, but as he gets older he gets twice as lazy. I dont know how to do much to cars like he does. He has gotten so lazy in the last few years that he wont even change belts on vehicles.

3GLXIHatch
01-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I figured around 300 for labor would be a fair price.

A18A
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
i'd do it for $50 if you where local lol

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2011, 09:06 AM
I want to know more about the engine you are buying. Is there a warranty? Has it been compression tested? Do you know if it was running well prior to being scrapped? Those are very important questions. Most engines go to the junkyard for a reason and if you don't have a good warranty, chances are you'll be stuck with a bad engine. So take your $575 and multiply it by as many engines as you will have to swap in before you get a good one.

I'm a little concerned that the mechanic is not supplying the engine. What usually happens in that case is that if you have a problem with the new engine, then the mechanic points at the junkyard and the junkyard points at the mechanic and you get stranded in the middle with a lot of money out of pocket and a non-running car. You don't want that to happen.

What's going on with your current engine that you're looking to replace it?

Edison Carasio
01-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I want to know more about the engine you are buying. Is there a warranty? Has it been compression tested? Do you know if it was running well prior to being scrapped? Those are very important questions. Most engines go to the junkyard for a reason and if you don't have a good warranty, chances are you'll be stuck with a bad engine. So take your $575 and multiply it by as many engines as you will have to swap in before you get a good one.

I'm a little concerned that the mechanic is not supplying the engine. What usually happens in that case is that if you have a problem with the new engine, then the mechanic points at the junkyard and the junkyard points at the mechanic and you get stranded in the middle with a lot of money out of pocket and a non-running car. You don't want that to happen.

What's going on with your current engine that you're looking to replace it?

I think he said the block is cracked.

To the OP - did it just crack the block? Is the head, pistons etc etc still good? Is the junk yard engine going to be rebuilt at all or is it going in as is?

3GLXIHatch
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Dr Snooz- The engine I plan on buying the engine has done a compression test, the engine runs, and it only has a 30 day warranty. The head and everything other than the block, pistons, etc. is still good on my car. The previous owner put water in the coolant and let it freeze, which cracked the block. At first I thought it was just a blown head gasket, because there was water on the plugs when trying to start the engine. The current engine will try to start, but the rpm's just go up and down and it wont start. A technician at honda was going to replace the head gasket, and when he removed the head he saw that the block was cracked. He said the head is still good.

Demon1024
01-20-2011, 05:24 AM
with basic tools you can do it yourself for free if time means nothing to you >:)
but really it's not that hard following the quick swap directions here
Oklahoma city? i picked up a block from there not long back. theres always a bunch of 3g's in the Craigslist there

88lxi-shortram
01-20-2011, 06:31 AM
get a used motor that has been tested... i recommend calling thomas motors and salvage. they sell a20's for 350 and they come with a 30 day warranty. then buy a 100 dollar motor hoist, a 20 dollar leveler bar and you could do this by yourself. we will all help with every bit of knowledge we have. im suscribed since im in the midde of a swap myself. ill put in my .02 cents whenever i can

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Read section 5 of this manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) to learn how to do the swap properly. If you are reasonably proficient with tools, know how to get rusted bolts loose, how to jack up cars, place jackstands, etc. etc. then give it a go. If you aren't, then I would recommend that you not make this your first mechanical endeavor. Start by doing your own oil changes first, and then work your way up to more advanced repairs as you gain knowledge and experience.

3GLXIHatch
01-20-2011, 08:42 AM
I already can do basic stuff like oil changes, spark plugs, brakes, etc. My dad will help me with it and we have an engine hoist and everything else needed. I told him we could just work on it a little at a time since Im not in a huge hurry for it. The DIY on here is very helpful. Thanks guys for the advice. Looks like I will just tackle the engine swap with my dad.

charliekuney
01-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't pay $350 for an engine, and I especially wouldn't fork out over $500 for labor.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2169889413.html

A18A
01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
disassembled engine?

charliekuney
01-20-2011, 09:03 AM
disassembed: taken apart into its constituent pieces
engine: motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work

A18A
01-20-2011, 09:07 AM
well a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work that's been taken apart into its constituent pieces is hardly any good is it lol

stat1K
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
"rebuildable" - as defined by craigslist - scored journals on out of round crank, rusted cylinder walls from sitting in a damp garage, scored cam journals from years of fram use, egg shaped cylinder walls, guaranteed to be missing pieces.

88lxi-shortram
01-20-2011, 12:51 PM
well if you want something with a guarantee, you cant beat 350. theyve been tested and everything so thats about as good as you can do for a warranted and tested motor

3GLXIHatch
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I guess I learned my lesson on buying a car that does not run. I thought it would be a cheap fix like the fuel pump or head gasket, but I was wrong. It is sad because this car only had 84,6XX miles on it. But on the positive side the interior is in near mint condition with on 3-4 cig burns on the driver seat. And the only rust on the whole car is behind the gas door by the gas filler.

kentwat
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Get your hands dirty and do it yourself. Dr. Snooz posted the manual link. We all have to start somewhere. 3geez is here to help also. You'll have a nice hatch within no time.

import racer
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Are you kidding ,rent an engine hoist and do it yourself.That kind of money should include the motor and install.That guy is a crook.

Tomisimo
01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
He said he had all the tools, engine hoist and everything. plus hes dad can help hem, usually oldtimers are pretty good with cars. And it can be a good experience for you both, plus you'll learn thing or two from your dad.

I say, Do it your self, its not hard at all. engine harnes is easy and only 4 bolts hold it in place besides exhaust and some wires.
Get your self all new fluids, spark plugs, filters, belts and timing belt kit. maybe a new alternator, filters. new air intake gasket - clean air intake and idle valve.
money you save sud be anough for all those parts. Replace it all before you drop it in, will be much easier to do out of the car. like timing belt.

Anyhow, good luck.

cubert
01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2169889413.html

In other words: absolutely fucking worthless. Buy me if you want a 3g themed paperweight.

lostforawhile
01-20-2011, 06:14 PM
In other words: absolutely fucking worthless. Buy me if you want a 3g themed paperweight.

for 25 bucks someone might want to grab that for parts, you couldn't get it that cheap at the yard, might have a good head, crank, etc.

cubert
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
If someone is willing to pay money for someones random pile of engine parts, then congrats to the guy selling them. By thew sounds of it the OP is not looking to play engine builder, but is looking to swap in a running engine.

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I already can do basic stuff like oil changes, spark plugs, brakes, etc. My dad will help me with it and we have an engine hoist and everything else needed. I told him we could just work on it a little at a time since Im not in a huge hurry for it. The DIY on here is very helpful. Thanks guys for the advice. Looks like I will just tackle the engine swap with my dad.

I say go for it. You'll learn lots and have fun with your dad. Don't feel bad that the car needs an engine. I bought my '82 Accord out of someone's back yard. The crankshaft was in the trunk. I rebuilt the engine not knowing what I'd end up with. It ended up being a wonderful car. You should always expect some kinds of problems when you buy a used car. Remember that nothing is insurmountable. Just read up carefully, plan your repair and fix it.

My last word of advice is this. You should always rebuild your own stuff if you can at all manage it. I bought a warrantied, tested, used engine from some outfit in N. Cal. I put it in and found out that it wouldn't hold oil pressure. I had already sunk a fantastic amount of money into it, changing all the seals, gaskets, fluids, wires, hoses, etc. I had also spent several vacation days pulling the old engine and installing the new one. I could have pulled it back out, returned it, got another engine, spent another fortune on seals and gaskets and fluids and my time. Instead, I pulled it and rebuilt it myself. Now the engine is solid. My point is that swapping in a used engine is only slightly less expensive than rebuilding one yourself, but the downside risk is enormous. If I were in your shoes, I would scour the local junkyards for a decent block. These engines are incredibly tough, so finding one shouldn't be very hard. You can probably get it for $75 if you hit the yard on one of their half-off days. Work with a good machine shop in your town and rebuild it yourself. That's what I would do.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

lostforawhile
01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
If someone is willing to pay money for someones random pile of engine parts, then congrats to the guy selling them. By thew sounds of it the OP is not looking to play engine builder, but is looking to swap in a running engine.

i was just saying for 25 bucks someone here should grab it, it's probably got enough useable parts to make it worth 25 bucks for sure

charliekuney
01-20-2011, 07:14 PM

The effort of a $25 engine and probably $100 (give or take) in needed parts is a lot better than $350 for an engine and $500+ for installation.

cubert
01-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Im not sure how you are figuring an engine in pieces only needs 100 dollars in work, but hey, if you're that delusional have fun with it.

3GLXIHatch
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Once I buy the engine I wont need any of the belts. The previous owners dad replaced the timing belt, alternator, radiator, and water pump. From what I have read on here the 86-89 alternators were junk from the start. Should I go ahead and replace it with a 90-93 alternator?

lostforawhile
01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Once I buy the engine I wont need any of the belts. The previous owners dad replaced the timing belt, alternator, radiator, and water pump. From what I have read on here the 86-89 alternators were junk from the start. Should I go ahead and replace it with a 90-93 alternator?

the alternators aren't junk at all, they are actually excellent, the reason people replace them is they need more amperage then the stock unit can provide, as far as that 25 dolllar engine, i wasn't suggesting anyone rebuild it, but it's a good deal for extra parts, it might even have a good block and head, i sure wouldn't pass it up to have some extra stuff

MessyHonda
01-21-2011, 12:10 AM
yeah please dont buy a motor that is not assembled...a local machine shop was charging me 350 just to put my motor back together...you can do the work your self and it also helps to have a 2nd set of hands

lostforawhile
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
yeah please dont buy a motor that is not assembled...a local machine shop was charging me 350 just to put my motor back together...you can do the work your self and it also helps to have a 2nd set of hands
yea if a motor has been dismantled and the parts mixed up, things won't go back together correctly, I know someone who did this, and threw all the bearings caps and the valve train parts together in a box, including the cam caps, whoops, still might be some good parts in that one for 25 though, if the crank is there and the main caps were marked, it might be a good base for a future project