PDA

View Full Version : help time is passing me by

88lxi-shortram
01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
ok well i have 16 days to get my motor put into my car and i cant work on the weekends. so heres a problem i have. there is a big hose coming from the front of the oil pan into a box that goes into the block and into another hose. i tried removing this and broke it so now ive got to go to pull a part and grab a new one... but idk how to remove or install w/o breaking it. i need help asap so any knowledge or advice would help thx

Pico
01-20-2011, 02:13 PM
there is a rubber grommet on the block that the breather box pushed into, over time the rubber grommet gets brittle.
You can try and see if a dealer in your area has one or try and match one up at the local parts store.
As far as removing the box it just pulls right out if I remember right

lostforawhile
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
it's the oil separator box, those hoses get brittle with age, if you can't get one, use a piece of heater hose, and put one of those anti collapse springs in it. if you want to remove it, you have to undo the 10m bolts and it pulls straight out back from the engine, there is another fitting going to the return oil passage, with a grommet on it. it's pushed into the block itself.

88lxi-shortram
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
The grommets isn't the problem it's the hose/tube that comes out o the top into the intake manifold. It's got a plastic piece were it connects and that's what broke and idk how to remove it without breaking it

lostforawhile
01-20-2011, 05:01 PM
The grommets isn't the problem it's the hose/tube that comes out o the top into the intake manifold. It's got a plastic piece were it connects and that's what broke and idk how to remove it without breaking it

is it the plastic piece that goes into the box itself on the top/ I think I've got one I'll look in a bit, don't let me forget

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Oh bro, you stepped right in it. Basically, the PCV system works very well for the first 20 or so years, then it disintegrates. It sounds like you broke #5 in this diagram.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13sg701_e08.png

The bad news is that pretty much everything else is going to break when you start disturbing it. Part #1 bolts to the block with 10mm bolts so you can remove it. Number 23 will need to be replaced when you pull the box. When you get it off, you'll find that #3 has been seeping for some time and needs to be replaced. Parts #2 and #4 will either be broken or so hard that they will break soon. Get all these parts from the dealer. Number 18 is the PCV valve, and you should replace that too as long as you have everything apart. I did all this when I had the engine out. I imagine it's going to be a lot of fun with the engine in there. Good luck.

lostforawhile
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
this is why i have all metal fittings welded on my box and AN lines , if you break #4 i think I have a spare