PDA

View Full Version : 89 DX coupe joinin up

anubis_4_99
01-20-2011, 07:34 PM
hey all, i've been lurking for a couple days, checkin out rides, readin some info, etc and just wanted to introduce myself

just picked up an 89 DX accord from an impound auction for $400 and drove her outta the lot

little beat up, got some cancer i gotta fix, and had to weld up an exhaust over the weekend when i bought it, but im pretty happy for a runner under $500

dont have any pics yet, but will host and post soon

do have a couple questions though

first thing i noticed was it needed an exhaust, so fabbed one that weekend, next thing i noticed after i could hear was that it needed an axle and wheel bearing

only problem is my local jy only has 4 doors. just wanted to make sure a 4 door hub and axle would fit a 2 door, and also make sure if different models mattered or not.

anyway if anyone has info on that i would very much appreciate it, and i look forward to contributing myself in the future

:thumbup:

MessyHonda
01-21-2011, 12:04 AM
yeah the hubs are interchangeable but you can only use a hub from a carb model because they have smaller breaks

itzdave
01-21-2011, 12:11 AM
welcome!

ghettogeddy
01-21-2011, 12:22 AM
yeah the hubs are interchangeable but you can only use a hub from a carb model because they have smaller breaks

carbed being dx or lx. no lxi or sei as they have a larger front break. if you run into any sei's though you can snag the rear disks off and use those you have to grab the whole rear section almost though lol including ebrake cable and the prop valve. dont forget arm rest and cup holders if you do run into one lol

anubis_4_99
01-21-2011, 05:39 AM
carbed being dx or lx. no lxi or sei as they have a larger front break. if you run into any sei's though you can snag the rear disks off and use those you have to grab the whole rear section almost though lol including ebrake cable and the prop valve. dont forget arm rest and cup holders if you do run into one lol

cool, thanks for the welcome and the info guys

also the no cupholders was gonna be my next question lol was thinking of trying to mock in a 94 integra center console and see how that looked since i have one laying around.

but i'll keep my eye out for one at the jy

Dr_Snooz
01-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Welcome from California!

anubis_4_99
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
well untill i can post else where i guess its here lol

i've done some reading and have found somewhat similar issues, but none quite the same as mine.

i've dealt with carbs before on other vehicles, but they've always been webers

my problem is on start up im idling at about 3500 in park, in gear its about 1500 or so.

once its warmed up it comes down to maybe 2500 but no lower unless im on the freeway for 15+ minutes then it idles around where it should untill i start it again. doesnt matter how long between shut off and start up, will still shoot back up.

i'll be taking the carb off this weekend and giving it a mild cleaning and was hoping someone could give me a few things to look out for that could be causing this.

also since this was an auction car and was impounded for auto theft, i obviously have no key, so plan on shaving my door handles and installing a popper kit.

anyone on here have any personal experience with them? and maybe pics of a shaved 3g? i eventually plan on shaving the doors, keyholes, emblems and inner tail lights since i have all the stuff needed to do it

anyway sorry for the long and multifaceted post lol and thanks for any info

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2011, 02:20 PM
A simple choke adjustment should fix the high idle issue.

anubis_4_99
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
thanks, i'll try to refind the thread i had open on how to adjust it, my girlfriend keeps closing my windows lol