PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with transmission issues

ziptie
01-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I have gone through 27 pages of the technical thread, and through the diy/how to threads and I'm not finding exactly what I need. I just bought my first Honda, its an 88 Accord Dx 4dr automatic with 146,232mi. The 1st problem....theres a clank when shifted into gear from park to reverse or drive, or from drive to reverse etc, I can describe it best by refering to the sound a u-joint in a rear wheel drive makes when it begins to fail. I suspect a possible cv joint failure however there is no clicking in turns and the boots are good, there is a clicking however during low speed straight braking and even that is intermittant. Problem #2 is a shifting issue which I doubt is related to problem #1 unless the entire tranny is bad (I'm hoping not lol). It just acts as though it forgot when to upshift. During part throttle acceleration it will stay in the same gear until I lift off the throttle, and it is progressivly worse between each shift I must let up a little more. the 1-2 shift happens with just the slightest lif 2-3 i have to lift a little more and 3-4 I am off throttle completely. There is no slipping and when it shifts (while firm) it shifts fine. If I put my foot into it, it shifts without lifting however I can only do this on a highway on ramp because by the time 4th gear hits I'm pushing 80mph. I did a transmission flush on it which did soften the shifts a bit and made it a bit easier to shift. but theres obviously something else wrong. I have faith that this is not a major problem, I mean seriously she has under 150k and she's a Honda! Thanks in advance for your comments.

Pico
01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Just throwing it out there, How are the mounts and on the A/T there is also a trans mount

ziptie
01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I see where your going.. I'll look into it when my girl brings my new girl home...LOL. Thanks good suggestion, any ideas on the shifting issues?

cubert
01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
completely off topic...but nice toaster in your avatar. :thumbup:

Pico
01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
what did you use for trans fluid?

ziptie
01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
I had it done at Jiffy Lube, they used dextron III and used and addative.

2oodoor
01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
TV cable needs attention

here is just one of many threads on the topic, I found this in about 3 seconds of search
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66583&highlight=transmission+shift

ziptie
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks to you both roodoo2 and Pico, my girl will be home shortly and I'll go to work on it. I'll post results after I'm done.

nfs480
01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
My transmission on my '89 Accord has made that exact sound for years, never been able to figure it out but it hasn't seemed to have gotten any worse.

ziptie
01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
ok so I'm in process of adjusting the tv cable. Some a%^$%^! has stripped the threads rounded the bottom lock nut and bent the bracket! yippie!

ziptie
01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks cupert that's my daily ride. I bought the accord as a second car to work on and keep the miles down on the xB.

ziptie
01-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Ok so I have made some adjustments to the tv cable.I must say that it is shifting much better, although I probably need a little more adjusting. At bare minimum it is livable and it seems as though the shift is a little smoother. TY to all. As far as tranny mounts I can't find any problems with them I'm afraid it may be internal. It does sound as though many people have experienced the sounds I have and thier cars have maintained a high level of dependability. So there we have it my $600 Honda is alive to fight another day.

Dr_Snooz
01-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Welcome! Pics?

circusboy90210
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I have gone through 27 pages of the technical thread, and through the diy/how to threads and I'm not finding exactly what I need. I just bought my first Honda, its an 88 Accord Dx 4dr automatic with 146,232mi. The 1st problem....theres a clank when shifted into gear from park to reverse or drive, or from drive to reverse etc, I can describe it best by refering to the sound a u-joint in a rear wheel drive makes when it begins to fail. I suspect a possible cv joint failure however there is no clicking in turns and the boots are good, there is a clicking however during low speed straight braking and even that is intermittant. Problem #2 is a shifting issue which I doubt is related to problem #1 unless the entire tranny is bad (I'm hoping not lol). It just acts as though it forgot when to upshift. During part throttle acceleration it will stay in the same gear until I lift off the throttle, and it is progressivly worse between each shift I must let up a little more. the 1-2 shift happens with just the slightest lif 2-3 i have to lift a little more and 3-4 I am off throttle completely. There is no slipping and when it shifts (while firm) it shifts fine. If I put my foot into it, it shifts without lifting however I can only do this on a highway on ramp because by the time 4th gear hits I'm pushing 80mph. I did a transmission flush on it which did soften the shifts a bit and made it a bit easier to shift. but theres obviously something else wrong. I have faith that this is not a major problem, I mean seriously she has under 150k and she's a Honda! Thanks in advance for your comments.

I have similiar issues with my 1987 it's a $600 unit I've chosen to completely rebuild from the ground up as soon as I get all the mechanicals fixed first and make it uber reliable. did a flush too , was told it needs a new torque converter and filter, going to put all new clutches and seals, pretty much rebuild as much as needed and more while I'm in there. while the unit is out of the car going to have the case sandblasted, then paint it with red heat paint to make it look really good when it goes back in. my thoughts are with the vehicle speed sensor, but keep hearing filter and torque converters every honds place I call , let me know what you find out please.

jdm4life
10-27-2011, 09:30 PM
i had a neon a/t that did the same thing i found that the fly wheel was loose a bit not to hard of a fix just a little adv

-$MOKIN-
02-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Do u think the wrong tranny fluid would cause it to slip ? And also what are the hoses that run into the speedo cable for ? Does anyone have a parts breakdown to where those liens go . I couldn't find them and i think i have them on backwards