PDA

View Full Version : Propane enrichment torch

Demon1024
01-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Have an 88 carbed having some issues.
During the times i have driven it I have experienced hesitation and a random "miss" at lower rps just being in gear.
And the dd of this car has had much more serious issues. As to the point of the car dieing several times at different stops on the road and then not restarting for a short period of time.

2 questions

Could this be a float issue? flooding? that's first thing came to mind and it's too cold at night here to check this gonna go out and try to check it tomorrow now that im off work.

In the manual to set the idle mixture screw you are required to have a propane enrichment kit.
I have google'd the hell outta this and haven't seen much but BUY THIS NOW!...... 70 - 120 $$$$

Looking at this " kit " it appears to be a hose and dial on a standard propane bottle.

I have seen the instructions for setting it another method which i used first.

I don't think doing that set it "better" i think it made it worse honestly. Which is why i want to try this
Are these people serious? ripping people off like that?
Or is there some serious reason i couldn't put a hose over the tip of a propane welder and just use that?

2oodoor
01-23-2011, 06:36 AM
those are just a regulator, same as on a bottle torch, I used to use one of those for comp controled carbs domestic but using a tailpipe probe that reads emmisions.
80 dollars, no frggn way.. last I checked you can get a whole torch kit at advance auto for just over 20 bucks with the bottle.
By the car not wanting to start back up after stalling, that sounds pretty bad and may be more than an idle mix deal. Is it flooding or is it running out of gas, has it backfired thru the carb?

Demon1024
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
definitely backfired through carb blowing off caps. that mean flooding?or going lean? I havent gone out and looked yet. And any direction to start would be awesome.
Im kinda new to the whole carb setup myself , but i have removed all hoses but i the air controler box and vac advance trying to simplify it.

So is that a go on the torch idea? no special trick to it

Buzo
01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
It sounds like a flooding issue. Remove the air filter, clean up the glass window in the carb and check. Open the ignition key and the fuel must be in the middle of the window.

If not, turning the adjusting screw clockwise will lower the fuel level, as the manual says, 1/8 of turn each 15 seconds.

Demon1024
01-23-2011, 10:11 PM
That window is supposed to be viewed from any angle isnt it..... i wasn't sure at first. Didn't look easy to view straight on with it's positioning.

2oodoor
01-24-2011, 03:13 AM
backfiring thru carb is usually fuel starvation, unless it happens when you shutting it down, then it is too high rpm idle which could be timing, throttle stop screw, vac leak, secondary slightly open at idle, or fast idle hardware malfunc
check the float situation though so you can eliminate that, which would throw off any other adjustments.

propane enrichment, hey very little is needed, just barely open the reg till you hear the idle pick up.

Demon1024
01-24-2011, 03:23 AM
and then go back down right?

On till increases, then till it goes down, then back to highest to check rpms right?

Demon1024
01-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Im so mad........

It was a loose ground wire!

Well theres 3 more now and that shouldnt be a problem anymore

guess bad ground was making weak spark. no wonder it came and went

Im gonna play with the propane after i install all these new parts lol

I just rebuilt a carb dammit. Guess i have an extra shinny one now for a spare!