PDA

View Full Version : weird clicking/ratchet-like action when turning?

frantik
01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
i know i need to replace my axles/cv boots, so i hope this is related, but when i turn my car hard to one side sometimes i get this weird clicking/ratchet like feel in the steering wheel. it's like the wheel is catching on something. i can hear it making a noise near the dash with the windows up.. haven't really noticed if any noise comes from the suspension itself

i hope it's not the rack and pinion or power steering or something hard to replace

any ideas/suggestions?

A18A
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
it does indeed sound like a failing cv joint

itzdave
01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Change them axles yo!

frantik
01-24-2011, 11:52 PM
well at least it's not another problem lol.. need to get on it. i've deliberately avoided making sharp turns since i first noticed it but its not cool to drive on

Sean619
01-25-2011, 01:41 AM
I have the same problem, the clicking is from steering wheel not the axles, and some times it clicks sometimes it not(even in very sharp turns), been to several shops they told me my drive axles is ok, but one mechainc told me it could be loose nuts inside the steering wheel he saw one example, just havent got time to fix it...

frantik
01-25-2011, 11:48 AM
^ hmm interesting

2drSE-i
01-25-2011, 01:06 PM
frantik, yours is definitely CV Joints. Sean, there is only one nut holding the steering wheel on. If it were loose, the steering wheel would move in and out. I doubt your steering wheel nut is loose, so I'd look elsewhere.

frantik
01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
i like hearing that it's a symptom of a known problem.. though obviously it's not a good sign haha.. i dont drive very often at least

MessyHonda
01-25-2011, 08:25 PM
its easy to do the axles...get them done so you can drive it to the meets

Dr_Snooz
01-25-2011, 09:00 PM
If that clicking is transmitting into the cabin, you could be getting close to a CV failure.

frantik
01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
i tthnk the noise is more from the wheel "shuddering" a little bit when it happens. luckily the only time i never notice it is when i'm driving very slowly.. usually it's when i'm turning very hard to park or something. in fact that's pretty much the only time i notice it.

i just barely could afford to get my car smogged and registered lol so next it's axles when i can get the $$. like i said though i barely drive it.. since march of 2010 i've only driven it 1500 miles