PDA

View Full Version : yet another fan?

Pico
01-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Im at work right now and limited on how much searching I can do
My radiator fan does not come on, I checked on it last night and when I tried to jump the pins on the fan switch connector (the one on the bottom of the rad.)
Nothing happens.
I ended up jumping the pins where the fan relay is at on the fuse box to get the fan to stay on.
Would a bad fan timer relay cause this problem?
I tried several relays and no luck at all.
Any ideas.
Roger

phrenology
01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Im at work right now and limited on how much searching I can do
My radiator fan does not come on, I checked on it last night and when I tried to jump the pins on the fan switch connector (the one on the bottom of the rad.)
Nothing happens.
I ended up jumping the pins where the fan relay is at on the fuse box to get the fan to stay on.
Would a bad fan timer relay cause this problem?
I tried several relays and no luck at all.
Any ideas.
Roger

Hmmm how is the relay triggered? By a water temp sensor? Maybe when you put in your after market gauges you accidentally disconnected or upset something in the feedback from the sensor.

-$MOKIN-
01-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Thermostat?

firefighterwhite89
01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
A Short?

Dr_Snooz
01-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Have you checked your fuses?

Pico
01-27-2011, 06:44 AM
I replaced the timer relay under the passenger seat and was able to get the fans to come on by jumping the fan switch connector, which I couldnt get it too do before.
I'm going to replace the fan switch tonight and see what happens.
For now I have the fans coming on with the ignition and running constantly.

Rendon LX-i
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
I was going to say your fan switch. Seems like its shot. Relays very odd go out unless a short accures. Let us know

DBMaster
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I replaced the timer relay under the passenger seat and was able to get the fans to come on by jumping the fan switch connector, which I couldnt get it too do before.
I'm going to replace the fan switch tonight and see what happens.
For now I have the fans coming on with the ignition and running constantly.

I love your avatar!

Pico
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I love your avatar!

Thanks DBMaster :wave:

Pico
01-30-2011, 02:20 PM
switch relays, installed new fan switch, and the fans still dont come on unless I jump them.
Any Ideas.

Buzo
01-30-2011, 06:50 PM
switch relays, installed new fan switch, and the fans still dont come on unless I jump them.
Any Ideas.

There is one ON/OFF switch below the radiator, in the passenger side of the car/radiator.

It sends a signal to the relay to turn on and therefore the fan. If you want to test it you need to remove it, but will throw away your coolant.

Then insert it in boiling water and measure continuity, it must be open when cold, and closed when around 80 degrees C.

Refer to the thermosensor in this picture:
http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/8031/thermosensor.png (http://img814.imageshack.us/i/thermosensor.png/)

Pico
01-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Fan switch is new

Pico
01-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Bump

88Accord-DX
01-31-2011, 04:02 PM
New parts don't mean good parts. Looks like you replaced enough parts (relays & switch) to get power down to the thermistor. Since you jumping the pins to get the fan to come on, I'd say you new thermosensor on the bottom of the radiator is defective. (without being there & testing it)

Pico
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
New parts don't mean good parts. Looks like you replaced enough parts (relays & switch) to get power down to the thermistor. Since you jumping the pins to get the fan to come on, I'd say you new thermosensor on the bottom of the radiator is defective. (without being there & testing it)
Thanks Derek, I was reading up on this here at work and I forgot out the aux fan switch in the thermostat housing.
Going to replace that and go from there

88Accord-DX
01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks Derek, I was reading up on this here at work and I forgot out the aux fan switch in the thermostat housing.
Going to replace that and go from there

N.P... That aux switch is more than likely for the aux fan to come on when you push the a/c button button on the dash. Then it kicks in the 2nd (aux) fan when the air conditioning is operating.

Dr_Snooz
01-31-2011, 07:27 PM
How do you know it's not coming on? How long are you waiting? Is the car overheating? By which gauge are you determining that the car is overheating? I'd recommend getting an infrared thermometer and checking the temp of the water leaving the block to make sure. It could just be a gauge issue. Do the fans come on when you turn on the A/C? Does the compressor engage?

The cooling fan troubleshooting procedure starts on p. 23-6 of this manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) if you want to go through it.

Pico
01-31-2011, 07:32 PM
How do you know it's not coming on? How long are you waiting? Is the car overheating? By which gauge are you determining that the car is overheating? I'd recommend getting an infrared thermometer and checking the temp of the water leaving the block to make sure. It could just be a gauge issue. Do the fans come on when you turn on the A/C? Does the compressor engage?

The cooling fan troubleshooting procedure starts on p. 23-6 of this manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) if you want to go through it.
Let's see the temp gauge I installed goes above 240, I watch the fans and nothing happens. I switch back to the stock gauge and it pegs the very top of the gauge, so I would say yes its overheating

-$MOKIN-
02-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Pico are u sure its not the thermostat?

Pico
02-01-2011, 05:11 AM
New Honda T-Stat..going install a aftermarket fan controller this weekend if I can't figure it out
FAN CONTROLLER (http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Inc-3647-Cooling-Control/dp/B000C3BB6M)

frantik
02-01-2011, 10:01 AM
damn if pico cant figure it out :nervous:

Dr_Snooz
02-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm asking because the 4g did me that way. Blasted thing goes up to red and the fans don't turn on. Temps read normally with an infrared thermometer though, so I know something is screwy with the gauge. I spent a lot of time fixing the fans, when they were working just fine. I just wasn't waiting long enough for them to turn on (kinda hard to wait when the needle is in the red). Not sure if you're using the same gauge sender for both gauges, but it could be that.

Are you getting other overheating issues or just the gauges? Do the fans turn on with the AC?

Pico
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Im just frustrated on the whole thing and my anger is getting the best of me, I triple checked everything, No A/C remove that long time ago. I did jump the connector that went to the compressor and with the AC button on the fans do kick on.
Fans are for sure not kicking on without jumping , I changed out the fan timer relay under the seat and I can get both fans to kick on now by jumping the connector at the radiator where before it was only the AC condenser fan coming on.
I read somewhere that the switch in the radiator is for the aux fan and the one in the TStat housing is the one for the main fan. Im going to change that one out this weekend and hope for the best

Dr_Snooz
02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
AC delete makes things more complicated. Your next step would be to disconnect the 4P connector from the AC diode and jumper the blue wire to ground. The diode's location (if it's still around) is shown in the diagram on p. 23-3. Do the fans come on when you ground the blue wire? If so, it's your AC diode. If not, then we go to the fan relays.

There's a cooling fan relay test on p. 23-7 if you're interested. It's always nice to know if the components you're replacing are indeed bad.

Buzo
02-01-2011, 10:03 PM
There is an even easier test.

Instead of desinstalling your thermoswitch, unplug it and make a short circuit between the terminals (in the connector side, of course), open the ignition key and your fan should come on immediately.

If not, then the fuses must be blown out. This fan circuit is very simple, thermoswitch-relay-fuses-fan, nothing else.

Pico
02-02-2011, 04:40 AM
fans still dont come on unless I jump them.
Any Ideas.

There is an even easier test.

Instead of desinstalling your thermoswitch, unplug it and make a short circuit between the terminals (in the connector side, of course), open the ignition key and your fan should come on immediately.

If not, then the fuses must be blown out. This fan circuit is very simple, thermoswitch-relay-fuses-fan, nothing else.

are you even reading what Ive posted, I did that already.:uh:

-$MOKIN-
02-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Sorry about your luck pico....Hope it all works out for ya buddy ...I still love your car . And i still want to marry your wifes sister and put her to work on my honda.. =) youl get her...

MessyHonda
02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
the only thing i can think of is if the fans are hooked up wrong by the t stat here is a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF3097.jpg

Buzo
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
are you even reading what Ive posted, I did that already.:uh:

I did read, but didn't get where you were making the short. Then if it works when you make the short, you have solved the problem, right?

88Accord-DX
02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
nvm, I forgot that most of these sensors are negative co-effecient resistors that return the ground when conditions are met.

Good luck Roger, keep us posted.

Pico
02-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Fixed it last night, I replaced the switch located at the the thermostat housing, the one next to the TW sensor and both the fans kicked on.
Thanks for the help and sorry for being short tempered with some of you ( Dr.Snooz and Buzo)
Roger

-$MOKIN-
02-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Sweeet ! ! !!

MessyHonda
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
yay...nice fix

Dr_Snooz
02-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Good work Pico!

frantik
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the help and sorry for being short tempered with some of you ( Dr.Snooz and Buzo)
Roger

pico you're normally totally chill so this problem must have been really pissing you off lol glad u finally got it fixed dude :D :rockon:

cudaboy
02-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Is the fan timer relay box under the front passenger seat?

Pico
02-22-2011, 04:15 AM
Is the fan timer relay box under the front passenger seat?

Yes it is