PDA

View Full Version : Can I paint mudguards RIGHT?

offthahook
10-11-2002, 05:58 PM
My ex had a Celica that had body colored mudguards and it looked phat. Hers may have been a harder plastic than the 3g'z mudguards though. Even with hardener and flex, could I do a NICE job (white, not black) on them and not have to worry about cracks or peeling?? Not the "just do it with spray can stuff" either; real car paint. I know they don't get bent or flexed much, but one time could make them look like ass if the paint wasn't pliable enough. Anyone know if the paint would hold or would I just be wasting time??

markmdz89hatch
10-11-2002, 09:37 PM
not if ur car is as low as mine. I'ts bad! It's to the point now where I have to take the speed bump at work very very slowly, and at a rediculous angle, and still you here rev... ...scrape.. ..rev..scrape..... ....rev.... scrape.... ...scrape.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to stock up on mudflaps b/c they do do a good job as long as no pebbles come along.

markmdz89hatch
10-11-2002, 09:38 PM
no but honestly tho, I'd avoid it b/c of the compound that our 'flaps are made of, they do flex quite a bit while driving, and it'd just be a matter of time in my opinion b4 they began to look like shit no matter how careful you are. I really am not positive tho.

89AccordNate
10-12-2002, 01:35 PM
They will look like shit. I painted mine black before I took them off and before I knew it I looked at them and they were chipping.

Nate.

offthahook
10-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
They will look like shit. I painted mine black before I took them off and before I knew it I looked at them and they were chipping.

Nate.

That's what I figured. :(

3rdgenSLIMER
10-12-2002, 11:33 PM
take them off!!! they wouldn't look good white. our cars look soooooo much better when they are off!!

Mike's89AccordLX
10-12-2002, 11:36 PM
I don't know if I would take them off if you have a nice paint job because the rocks would fly up and scratch the paint on the sides. Didn't our cars come with rear mudflaps too? I thought I saw some that did.

3rdgenSLIMER
10-12-2002, 11:45 PM
yeah, they are in front and back. mine hasn't really made mine chip. and its looks a $h*t load better!!!

how did you get your shift boot to fit??? ichibahns are rounded?? did you get one of those aluminum round adaptor thingys?

Mike's89AccordLX
10-12-2002, 11:51 PM
What I did, is I took the entire shift console off and then took the old shift boot out and slide the ichibahn one over the black rubber thing thats on the floor. There's a little gap between the new boot and the plastic. I plan to make one of those boot things like Ractive makes. That's a sweet idea. I need to take some pictures of my car soon. People have been asking me but, I wanted to wait until I get it re-painted but I might just have to take some so I don't get my head cut off. hehehe I have the carbon fiber look for my shift boot and my shift knob is brushed aluminum. And my mods are below.