PDA

View Full Version : quietest fuel pump replacement recommendations?

rebuild
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
89 LXi
Original fuel pump died. Advance Auto Parts replacement is loud and not at all nice to hear.

Any suggestions where to get one for a good price that works quietly like the original?

Are fuel pumps easily rebuildable?

Thanks.

RAZR
01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
like what do u mean loud.
like all the time loud?
or just when u first turn the key?

rebuild
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
it's a high-pitched electrical sound that you can hear when all is quiet and you can also hear it despite the radio being on. it's kind of a piercing sound. you can hear it through the road noise too. makes you appreciate how quiet the original was.

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I've had pretty bad luck with the off-the-shelf stuff from Advance/Kragen/Autozone, etc. Most of that is price-point stuff. They carry it just so they will have the cheapest price when you call. If it doesn't work, meh. I stick with Napa mostly. If I have to buy from one of the others, I stick with name-brand parts from companies like Beck/Arnley, NipponDenso, AC/Delco, etc.

Cody
02-07-2011, 11:59 PM
89 LXi
Original fuel pump died. Advance Auto Parts replacement is loud and not at all nice to hear.

Any suggestions where to get one for a good price that works quietly like the original?

Are fuel pumps easily rebuildable?

Thanks.

get honda, or any other fuel pump for a similar sized car.

Performance pumps sound like a dentist surgery.

RandyAM
02-08-2011, 12:39 AM
i have never had a problem EVER with an AC/Delco product

just sayin

lostforawhile
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM
avoid the carter pump like the plague, if you can find one you might try the Beck Arnley one.