PDA

View Full Version : OH, the wonderful world of HID!

Roofy
01-29-2011, 12:12 AM
I just got done installing a set of H4 conversion headlights into my Accord. I got the whole setup from EGay, it came with the sealed beam conversion housings, the HID bulbs, wiring, ballasts, and mounting brackets.

The light housings are really good quality, alot better than I expected. They are actually glass and are well built. It's a 35 watt, 8000K bulb bi-xenon beam setup. I ended up having to take my front bumper off to fit all the wiring where I wanted it underneath the headlamp assemblies. I ended up mounting the ballasts behind the front bumper assembley, and I have enough slack in the wiring that the housings are able to flip up and down just like they should. :)

These housings are pretty well designed too. There is minimal side glare, and I have them properly adjusted so they wont blind other drivers. (Believe me, I tested it driving by in my friend's car).

All in all it took me about 3 hours total to swap over to the HID setup. Considering I was working on the ground, in the snow, and never having taken the front bumper off before, I think that I did pretty good!!! :o Someone more experienced with these cars and having lift access could probably have it done in about an hour.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/Roofy70/Mobile%20Uploads/PART_1296287253694.jpg
Here is what the kit looked like when I opened it up.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/Roofy70/Mobile%20Uploads/PART_1296287266557.jpg
Here is the beam pattern of the lights with the HID bulbs. I adjusted them down a bit to minimize glare for oncoming traffic.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/Roofy70/Mobile%20Uploads/PART_1296287276419.jpg
Here is how they looked while testing them out. I still had the front bumper off in this picture as well.

All in all, I think that this is the absolute best mod I have ever done, and probably will do to my Accord (Unless I turbocharge it! ;) ) and it is well worth the $80 that it cost me.

MessyHonda
01-29-2011, 12:18 AM
the thing about thoes housing are that they dont really have a good cut off line

ShyBoyCA6
01-29-2011, 12:35 AM
the thing about thoes housing are that they dont really have a good cut off line

^true

and also with the Ebay set-up you get what you pay for and the headlamps would get leaks in there in time.(i notice it in 3 months)

so whats another 80$ to a better HID kit and headlamps?

But other than that it looks really good and no matter how you adjust the glare people are still stupid cause they look at the light lol regardless (:omg: pretty light).
oh and it takes like 15 to 20 mins to install:D:thumbup:

good work though.

cubert
01-29-2011, 06:22 AM
But other than that it looks really good and no matter how you adjust the glare people are still stupid cause they look at the light lol regardless (:omg: pretty light).

That's because the cheap HID kits shine everywhere no matter where you aim them, and blind everyone with the obnoxious blue light regardless of where they are trying to look.

lostforawhile
01-29-2011, 07:30 AM
That's because the cheap HID kits shine everywhere no matter where you aim them, and blind everyone with the obnoxious blue light regardless of where they are trying to look.

exactly, and we have idiots here with them, who don't even aim them right, every time I drive towards one of those cars I can't see a thing, i wonder if anyone has thought of taking a set of factory HID lamps apart and mounting the parts in something like a set of hella housings?

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm still using sealed beams. I think I like them best. The Bimmer has some insanely bright wonder lights. What sucks is that the cutoff line renders all road signs and landmarks invisible at night. I live in the sticks where there is no ambient light, so I can't see crap on the side of the road with these things. I can't see signs, or upcoming cross streets. Only the road itself and the yellow lines in the middle. With the old school sealed beams on the 3g, the light is less bright, but at least I can see where I'm going.

lostforawhile
01-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm still using sealed beams. I think I like them best. The Bimmer has some insanely bright wonder lights. What sucks is that the cutoff line renders all road signs and landmarks invisible at night. I live in the sticks where there is no ambient light, so I can't see crap on the side of the road with these things. I can't see signs, or upcoming cross streets. Only the road itself and the yellow lines in the middle. With the old school sealed beams on the 3g, the light is less bright, but at least I can see where I'm going.

the trick to that is a good set of yellow fogs, they have a wide beam and the yellow makes things like signs stand out at night

Hazwan
01-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Hahahaha thats me!

frantik
01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
those are the same "city light" h4 housings that have been on ebay for years.. cool you made it HID but you should get some better housings that have lenses which spread out the light better. i had them on my old 3gee with regular h4 bulbs (not hid) and i couldn't see shit at night outside of the city

unless you're gonna get the fancy housings i think silverstar sealed beams are a better choice, though i've never run with hid so maybe i'm wrong

oh and yeah those things leak like a mofo.. if you look, the bulb socket is right over the edge of the hood so whenever it rains, water runs off the hood right onto the lights. the boots they give you don't really do a good job.

dieselgus
02-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Hella housings and Silverstar Ultras on my car. Loving it.

Cheapo HID + Housings not designed for HID (poor cutoff and directionality)= lame

If you go to the Silverstar Ultra or any other higher wattage/output lamp I would suggest putting in a pair of relays to keep the combination switch from nuking (speaking from experience). Easily done right under the dash.

Rendon LX-i
02-12-2011, 09:34 AM
If you atleast got autopals or hella housing it wouldn't be so bad. I hatted that. I paided alot of money for my hid set but it looks clean. Soon to retro fit.

charliekuney
02-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Get $20/each Sylvania SilverStars. 4k, plenty bright, still blind everyone.

89T
02-13-2011, 09:01 AM
^^^ I hate my HID's.

MessyHonda
02-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Get $20/each Sylvania SilverStars. 4k, plenty bright, still blind everyone.

mine didnt last more than 5 months

Tdurr
02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
autopals are the way to go. and if u can find them get some casper sheilds

canadian357
02-17-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm actually pretty surprised nobody has done a projector retrofit on here yet. The only real issue I could see would be getting a shroud on the projector, but with the amount of ridiculously hardcore DIYers on 3geez I can't even see that being a real problem. Besides, you can get a good set of mini H1 projectors for like $120 (shrouds included). Throw in some DDM HIDs for like $30 and you've got a proper HID setup.

Rendon LX-i
02-18-2011, 01:08 AM
They do sell bad ass projectors housing but cost like 300 a piece. LOL FUCKKKK THAT LOL.

Tdurr
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
lol wut rendon said.