PDA

View Full Version : common broken parts

TimO
01-29-2011, 06:37 AM
i posted this on a couple other sites so you may have seen this already.

hello. so i have this idea about making replacment parts for the most commonly found broken interior peices. i know in my car there are a few trouble parts that tend to be broken on every one of the same model ive seen.

so whats the chances that you 1g/2g/3g guys have a similar issue.....AND would like to replace those particular parts but honda is out of stock on new ones?

im planning on testing out a reproduction method on some of my own parts first but if it goes well then i could possibly be able to make many other various plastic interior parts.

so please leave some feedback, pictures of common cracks or broken parts would be great. just let me know what you think about the idea in general. thanks

2drSE-i
01-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Door panels. GO!

TimO
01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
lol the whole door panel is a bit on the large side. i was thinking more like the door handle trim or heat vents, that sort of stuff. mostly small peices. BUT if things go well maybe larger parts can be done down the road. this is more of a guaging interest thread as i havnt actually made anything yet(waiting on supplies to arrive) once i do and it works out then ill be posting my results and taking "orders" so to speak

lostforawhile
01-29-2011, 09:59 AM
mcmaster carr sells some really good hardening urethane that reproduces fine details extremely well, it makes really good molds, they also sell the release compound. they have an entire line of the chemicals for making the parts too, making an urethane mold is just like making a plaster mold.

TimO
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
thanks man. thats kinda the idea im going with. i have on order some urethane compound and releaser to make a few things. we will see how it goes

frantik
01-29-2011, 02:20 PM
though the tops of the door panels tend to wear out and rip (i think the heat from the sun shining on it causes it to expand and rip) but i dont think thats what you had in mind

are you going to match the interior colors or just make black pieces?

also, at least around here, there are tons of 3geez in pick n pulls so minor common parts like that are really easy to get

TimO
01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
well for now ill be making my own parts in black. i might attempt a coloring of one to see how it goes.
that is a very good point about the cars at the junk yards. around here there arent many. they dotn tend to keep them long and if they do they get raped pretty quick.

but thanks for the honest input.

charliekuney
01-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Are you just talking about plastic interior kind of pieces? Or things like the seat belt buckles?

AccordEpicenter
01-29-2011, 09:59 PM
get the parts from the jy and dye/paint them

TimO
01-30-2011, 08:53 AM
currently just the plastic peices. i wasnt sure how much demand there was for replacment bits and peices it looks like not much so far lol

Dr_Snooz
01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda used some pretty good plastic in these cars. The tops of the door panels like to disintegrate in the sun. They are made of closed-cell, foam-backed, vinyl upholstery though, which is probably outside the scope of what you are doing at this point. The sides of the door panels on coupes and hatches get destroyed from people closing seat belts in them (again an upholstery job) and the glove boxes twist themselves out of shape for some reason (probably bigger and more complicated than you want). The seat back handles also like to fall off a lot, so if you could come up with better ones, that would be nice. If you could make SE-i cupholders or armrests, you would probably sell a number of those.

2drSE-i
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah the glove box drives me freakin nuts, rattling and hanging goofy on one side

TimO
01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
alrighty good ideas for sure. thanks! i will look into those seat back handles and possibly the cupholders and arm rests. if i cant find any locally i might need some help getting one of each of those things to measure and check out.

the glove box in my lude has the same issue although i beleive its in the latch versus actually deforming. my 4g accord tho had an issue with the glove box deforming on the right side. it always just stuck out about half inch no matter what i did to fix it.

frantik
01-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah the glove box drives me freakin nuts, rattling and hanging goofy on one side

usually you just need to tighten the hinges and the latch..

2drSE-i
01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
You can tighten the latch? Am i retarded?

Xaisk
01-31-2011, 07:24 PM
If you suceed in your endeavor that would be AMAZING. You could earn a pretty penny off selling the parts. Glove boxs, door panels, cupholders and armrests esp would sell. I would love to be able to do this myself but ive no experience making molds or anything, nor do I really have the time lately with school and preparing for the Air Force... Or the money for that matter. Im getting married on March 12.

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Can you replace any exterior trim pieces? I got loads of stuff that could use replacing. Corner lights, headlight trim, front grill, badges, etc. Would be nice to be able to get that stuff new and in sufficient quality that it doesn't deteriorate in the sun again.

stat1K
02-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Are you just talking about plastic interior kind of pieces? Or things like the seat belt buckles?

why would he make buckles? aren't honda belts lifetime warranty parts?

charliekuney
02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes, but both Honda dealers here said that the warehouses only carry black.

DBMaster
02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I have actually purchased a new glovebox hinge from Honda and repaired one with JB Weld. The hinges attach to the glovebox with screws and they do actually break - just from the weight of the glovebox.

MessyHonda
02-06-2011, 12:20 AM
i seen couple cars in the junkyard with broken door handles

Dr_Snooz
02-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Lips and spoilers would be greatly appreciated also.

seancmadison
03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Exterior door handle drivers side front.