PDA

View Full Version : New to this 3G Thang....

mcs32jr1968
01-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey all, just acquired a 1989 Accord LX with 76,000 miles on her. My question/gripe is this:

My last car was an '89 Nissan Sentra 5 speed and that sucker ran on air. I mean, it was really, really, good on gas.

My new Accord LX is carbureted and it appears to be just ok on gas. I was expecting something maybe a little bit more thrifty when it came to gas usage. Most of my driving is city driving and I understand the Accord is a heavier car with more whistles and bells than the old Sentra.

What kind of mileage should I realistically expect from my '89 Accord?
I drive conservatively (no more speed demon in me) so shouldn't that account for something? Are there any adjustments I can make to the car to get it to squeeze every last bit of fuel? (Gas in CA is nearing the $4 mark..)

Also, what is the proper procedure for starting a carbureted motor on a cold morning? Do I pump the gas pedal? Friends of mine say that is the time when it uses the most gas. Is this true?

Sorry for the long post, any help would kindly be appreciated.

peace all,

mcs32jr1968

poison2003
01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
what i usually do is 3 pumps before i turn the key and let it idle for a few min warm up and your good to go.

Buzo
01-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Mine, 88 carbureted accord is 24 MI/GAL, city drive only.

This carburetor has a normally extended actuator that keeps the throttle open when the engine is off and while cranking, as soon as the car starts and builds up vacuum, the actuator extended arm is sucked in by the vacuum and "releases" the throttle.

In other words, if its well adjusted, it will automatically pump the gas pedal for you, at every single start.

Dr_Snooz
01-30-2011, 06:42 PM
You should be able to get nearly 40 mpg highway out of these carbs. Can you be more specific on the mpg you are getting now?

HON-DUH
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
post pics when you can and welcome :cheers:

mcs32jr1968
01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
You should be able to get nearly 40 mpg highway out of these carbs. Can you be more specific on the mpg you are getting now?

Right now I am currently "going through" the car as I only have owned it for about 1 week.

I am checking the engine parts and have filled the tank in an attempt to benchmark the mpg while I drive.

I will provide more info when I get it.

Thanks for all of your help...

mcs32jr1968

mcs32jr1968
01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
post pics when you can and welcome :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome...

I will post pics when I can...

As far as the current shape of the car: she was a one owner vehicle, well taken care of, 76k miles, no accidents, immaculate interior, all of the interior lights work,ac blows cold, no rips in the seats, perfect dash, runs well but I think with this forum's help I can make her run even better...

Thanks to All of You for having my back, I got yours...

peace,

mcs32jr1968