PDA

View Full Version : "service engine" light on

King Peetis
02-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I had the clutch replaced in my car and I drove it around the block to check it out making sure everything was cool, then I noticed the temp was just a little higher than normal. I drove back to shop to settle up with the mechanic and the service engine light came on. He added a little coolant, I shut the car off and cranked it back up. the light didn't come back on, thankfully. I left the shop and within a couple of minutes the light was back on. The light comes on everytime I drive it within the first mile or so. I haven't the foggiest idea of what could be causing this. It drives just fine and the temp is good. Oh yea, the speedo cable is either disconnected or broken. Could that be the reason?Shit, I don't know...

forrest89sei
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I had the clutch replaced in my car and I drove it around the block to check it out making sure everything was cool, then I noticed the temp was just a little higher than normal. I drove back to shop to settle up with the mechanic and the service engine light came on. He added a little coolant, I shut the car off and cranked it back up. the light didn't come back on, thankfully. I left the shop and within a couple of minutes the light was back on. The light comes on everytime I drive it within the first mile or so. I haven't the foggiest idea of what could be causing this. It drives just fine and the temp is good. Oh yea, the speedo cable is either disconnected or broken. Could that be the reason?Shit, I don't know...

on a EFI car The speedo have a VSS sensor that sends the speed that the car is going, without this sensor the car will get a CEL

King Peetis
02-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I'll reconnect the speedo cable this weekend and see what are the results.Thanks

MessyHonda
02-08-2011, 09:07 PM
so the speedo does not work?

ShyBoyCA6
02-08-2011, 09:58 PM
if driving at a constant speed for more than mile. it would be a O2 sensor. or Vss.

Check for the CEL Code then we can better assist you on your problem.

forrest89sei
02-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Heres a link to the 1989 Accord Service Manual http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php

It'll tell you how to check what code it is and will give you LOADS of other useful info

King Peetis
06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
I got the manual, thanks. I have replaced the speedo cable and one of the O2 sensors and the light is still on. wtf?

Nafs Asdf
06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Check your ECU for error codes. Service manual should tell you how to do it.

MessyHonda
06-05-2011, 07:12 AM

x2

King Peetis
06-05-2011, 05:57 PM

x2

Will do--Thanks