PDA

View Full Version : Growing gap along rear edge of driver's door

car6289
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
With the car's front end supported on jack stands (at jacking points below driver and passenger doors) the gap at the rear of the driver's door increases by about 1/8" (full door height) from the normal gap with the car on the ground. The door also becomes slightly proud, not faired with the profile of the rear door skin. The door still opens and closes but the misalignment of the latch/striker is obvious. The passenger door exibits no movement or misalignment issues with the front of the car on jack stands.
Something seems to be flexing only on the driver's side of the car. Has anybody else had this happen and know wtf is going on.

dacantu
02-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Im pretty sure everyone has this problem. I know mine does it too.

charliekuney
02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't. :D I've had four coupes and none did this.

Dr_Snooz
02-08-2011, 07:22 PM
My '76 did that. The doors would clunk if you closed them while the car was jacked up. The 3g does not. Honda bodies like to loosen up over time. Not much you can do really.

car6289
02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for your personal observations and experiences. I still think something can be done to rectify this issue besides replacing my sedan with a coupe. So far coupes aren't as likely to have this affliction.
"Honda bodies like to loosen up over time."
It is the some do, some don't, that has me curious as to what the cause of this body flexing is that only occurs on one side of my car.

dacantu
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
TSo far coupes aren't as likely to have this affliction.
"Honda bodies like to loosen up over time

Wrong! Coupes have longer/heavier doors! Theyre more likely to have this issue especially when you put the front of the car on jack stands. You can not base your stats on one persons experiences. My coupe has this issue also. Just because Charlies coupes have not done it, does not mean "coupes are not as likely" for this to happen.

Try tightening up your door hinge bolts. Start there.

I've never bothered to check out the problem because it never really bothered me. Now i'm going to go out tomorrow and check mine out and I'll let you know what the results are.

car6289
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Not gathering stats, just making a generalization from replies (5 coupes don't: 1 coupe & 1 sedan do). Door hinge bolts are not loose, nor are the hinge pivots.

Hauntd ca3
02-09-2011, 01:12 AM
its just 20 plus year old jap steel flexing a bit..
after years of twisting and flexing the welds will get a bit of give in them.
the way to fix it is to seam weld round the door frames and any seam you can get a mig welder at