PDA

View Full Version : New to Accords

GrandpaAccord
02-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Hello everyone. Just bought a 87 LX for my daughter for $300. Needs lotsa work, Duh!
Has about 400k on the clock with an Auto and a newer japanese motor. Drove it home and it rides nicer than my 95 corolla!
Wish me luck!:o

charliekuney
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Drove it home and it rides nicer than my 95 corolla!

Well, of course! Get some pictures up when you can! Best choice for a first car.

Pico
02-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the forum

GrandpaAccord
02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Will do. Super funny car. Passenger light has bungee cords holding it to the pop-up. Makes it look kinda like the monster from goonies!
Hafta bleed power steering and hope that seals and rack are o.k. Don't know what's in there now but foaming like crazy. Already done brake M.S. and a wheel cylinder to get the brakes going.
Hawls U know What already so hoping it's a worthwile project for my daughter. She's completly extatic and hasn't even drivin it yet!

Dr_Snooz
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Welcome! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. If you need any help, let us know.

itzdave
02-10-2011, 07:49 PM
so u said you were north of seattle, where at? im at the navy base on whidbey island. (oak harbor)

GrandpaAccord
02-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Marysville.
Thanks for your service man!

charliekuney
02-10-2011, 09:05 PM
You might want to get a hold of mykwikcoupe. He's close.

-$MOKIN-
02-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Welcome pops .......Looks like ya know whats up already...Good luck .

GrandpaAccord
02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Welcome pops .......Looks like ya know what up already...Good luck .

Thanks!
We'll see how it goes.....

itzdave
02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
You might want to get a hold of mykwikcoupe. He's close.

yup, hes out there, great guy. very knowledgable

Nio
02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
been awhile since I welcomed anyone.

so

WELCOME :3

GrandpaAccord
02-14-2011, 09:27 PM
been awhile since I welcomed anyone.

so

WELCOME :3

Thanks everyone for your greetings. Power steering seems to be good after flushing and passed smog with flying colors! Hit the pick a part for some trim pieces and a passenger cv shaft. Why is this so fun?
Will get pic's of the POS as soon as I can.

mitchy13(pikachu)
02-15-2011, 10:36 AM
its fun cause......this car was ment to be a fun car hahahha shoot when i first got my car i was driving like a kid (all exited)

WELCOME by the way.

-$MOKIN-
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Did you get any pictures yet? What color is it ? Sounds like fun to me ! ! Grab bulbs and fueses at the Jy fill a small tool box drawer full.
For the light , the knuckle might of poped out. There is a knuckle on the light bracket that pivots the light to come out and it might of popped out. Happens when your lights activates with a rag in the joint .I just popped apart at the joint. Well to me it did. Easy fix tho thank god.
Whats the update ?

GrandpaAccord
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Did you get any pictures yet? What color is it ? Sounds like fun to me ! ! Grab bulbs and fueses at the Jy fill a small tool box drawer full.
For the light , the knuckle might of poped out. There is a knuckle on the light bracket that pivots the light to come out and it might of popped out. Happens when your lights activates with a rag in the joint .I just popped apart at the joint. Well to me it did. Easy fix tho thank god.
Whats the update ?

No pics yet. Because of whatever small accident it was in the bumper is slightly pushed back and passenger fender a little close to light. There's a same colored dark blue at the PAP with better fenders, hood, lights, etc. I want the whole thing as it's a hatch back but I don't need another project!
My daughter titled and registered it today and is driving around. :rockon:

The hood was kinda covering the light. just needed a little adjustment to the passenger side. all good now.

-$MOKIN-
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Sweet ...Shes rollin.. hahaha
Might as well be your project car becuase then u know she will have a car that's reliable.

Its fun man . Make the list and make her tip top shape. The local Junk Yard is the way i do it too . Alot easier when u got your list on you and u can get all the little broken pieces u need.
Mod it out. And throw her off guard . Trick it all out and let her drive it around Sounds like the plan pops . Get some 16 inch rims and drop it 2 inches with the 2nd gen prelude adjustable upper control arms to fix the camber. Maybe grab a front bumper lip off of a old intergra and the JY .
I donno the hopes are high for ya.
Got any idle problems yet? Check every vacumn line threw out. There is a hose diagram in the book and every line is numbered unless it has been replaced. Also look for leaks. Always the problem with the carb. its the hose lines. .....Pain .
Id do a radiatior compression check too wouldnt want a bad line go bad this summer and blow a head gasket becuase she drove it hot.\
I donno how many chicks have done this but there is alot. :slap::slap::slap::slap:

GrandpaAccord
02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks smokin.
She will be a dd for now. just need her reliable enough for my kid to drive around. It takes a couple gas pedal pumps to get started when cold and sometimes dies right after start. Then fine when restarted. Idles around 2500ish till warm then kicks down to about 1000. Wasn't able to reduce idle down lower than that. I'll start checking all those fun hoses, They seem to have a nice feel to them and have their #'s so not sure if replaced when motor was put in or not.
I haven't changed any fluids other than PS yet or given it a tune up so could be something simple/stupid. Oil looks really good not black or dark at all. Has a bit of a whine at higher RPM's. Maybe the PS pump. Also, I noticed AC clutch spinning slowly. Slower than pully by at least half. All of my other cars don't move at all unless clicked on by A/C.
Lots to do for sure but what do you expect for $300?

GrandpaAccord
02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Here's the early pic's. So sorry it's at night but it's dark by the time I get home from work.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/pimpdaddylovemachine/IMAG0027.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/pimpdaddylovemachine/IMAG0026.jpg
Interior in Good shape. She cleaned it up nice and only the driver seat shows real wear.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/pimpdaddylovemachine/IMAG0024.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/pimpdaddylovemachine/IMAG0025.jpg
Damage to Light
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/pimpdaddylovemachine/IMAG0028.jpg

MessyHonda
02-17-2011, 06:17 AM
that not a bad deal for a running car. Welcome to the forums

GrandpaAccord
02-18-2011, 03:38 PM
She blew the tranny already! LOL!
Been reading up on converting to 5 speed.....

89T
02-18-2011, 04:20 PM
gramps what is you'r age?

-$MOKIN-
02-18-2011, 07:16 PM
The tranny went out .. Damn pops .....Yeah might as well do a 5 speed... Maybe even make a 5 speed swap thread and take pics going threw it ...Well have fun u should be able to find one pretty cheap.

Dr_Snooz
02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Why do you say the trans went out? What's it doing?

Salo_89_Accord
02-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forums :wave:, damn tranny already out yea might as well do a 5 speed :beat:

Rendon LX-i
02-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Welcome aboard. Seems like a good running 3G . Except the tranny problems.

GrandpaAccord
02-21-2011, 11:03 AM
O.K tranny not out. I just think she's confused about what it's doing. She didn't let it warm up and was confusing tranny not shifting with general cold bloodyness. I haven't had time to do a tune up or anything yet. The tranny does shift pretty late and pretty hard. I'll read up on lubricating the various cables and start replacing the fluid with "Honda" ATF.
Oh, and I turn 40 in May.
My other daughter is pregnant so trying to get used to the Grandpa thing!

-$MOKIN-
02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Hhahaha see your not much older than me POPS . Im 36

HONDA LOVE...

Check the tranny fluid if its low is does weird things

GrandpaAccord
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Hhahaha see your not much older than me POPS . Im 36

HONDA LOVE...

Check the tranny fluid if its low is does weird things

Thanks!
I did check it. Was full both when cold and when fully warmed up (Wasn't sure which one was the proper measurement).
This is starting to turn into a tech thread so I'll post up there soon.
Thanks for the great welcome from everyone.

Pico
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I turn 40 in May.

Im 36

Babys...I hit the big 50 this year :D

PALIN_OMSIN
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM
the 5 in may I'm 40 ^_^ :tongue:

MessyHonda
02-21-2011, 11:43 PM
im as old as my car...23 in april

hwy87
02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Welcome. :) The Accord was made the same year I was! :P

MessyHonda
02-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Welcome. :) The Accord was made the same year I was! :P

:koolaid:

GrandpaAccord
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
New things done:
Replaced both front UCA's
Front brake pads
Passenger cv shaft
Adjusted throttle cable and auto TV cable.
Replaced Tranny fluid.
Replaced positive cable, old one wouldn't tighten down on new battery terminal.
Shifts a bit smoother now. Starts without help from the skinny pedal most of the time now. My daughter already flooded it out thinking she had to hit the gas a few times before starting. Kids just aren't used to carb'd cars I guess!
I showed her "how to start it with the pedal all the way down if flooded" method.
Hopefully she won't call me at 11pm asking me to come rescue her at the gas station again!

b345tifall
03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
hey welcome i live in south arlington by pick in pull your pretty close lol

GrandpaAccord
03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
hey welcome i live in south arlington by pick in pull your pretty close lol

Yeah saw your pic and I'm so jealous!