PDA

View Full Version : No dash, side markers

SkateK610
02-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I was driving one night and all of a sudden, lights out!

Headlights and turn signals work, but all of the 1 click on the light switch is out. I check the interior fuse box # 15 and 14 arnt blown, but there is some rigged up system going into #14, its a red wire from a harness split into a wire with a metal tab stuck into the #14 with the fuse also in there

Heres the wire
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/021111125700.jpg/

Any other fuses to check?

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 08:39 AM
I was driving one night and all of a sudden, lights out!

Headlights and turn signals work, but all of the 1 click on the light switch is out. I check the interior fuse box # 15 and 14 arnt blown, but there is some rigged up system going into #14, its a red wire from a harness split into a wire with a metal tab stuck into the #14 with the fuse also in there

Heres the wire
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/021111125700.jpg/

Any other fuses to check?have you swapped another fuse into 14? 15 isn't used. looking at the schematics now

it has to be between the 40 amp under hood fuse and fuse 14 under the dash, if the 40 amp fuse was blown, you would have no headlights. the side markers and the dash lights are all on 14, i would say combination switch, but it was working before, and if they tried to feed power directly into the circuit, the dash lights would never turn off, did they come on by themselves when the switch was turned to the first position? it seems someone was trying to power something off of that circuit, possibly a set of fog lamps or driving lights etc.

SkateK610
02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Before they went out everything worked as it should, dash/exterior lights, and the glove box light

Also the clock works but it doesn't dim like it should

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Before they went out everything worked as it should, dash/exterior lights, and the glove box light

Also the clock works but it doesn't dim like it should

try swapping that fuse and if it doesn't work i'll let you know how to test the switch, the 40 amp fuse goes right into the light switch, then it's split by the switch into 4 fuses for the headlights, and fuse number 14, and one more fuse i think for the running lights, fuse 14 is the fuse for all the dash lights etc, the clock won't dim,because the 12 volt signal to tell it to dim also comes from fuse 14. do you have a meter? if you do, find fuse 14, turn the light switch on to the first position, now you should have 12 volts on at least one side of the fuse, if you don't, the switch is bad. check for voltage with one meter probe on ground, and the other at each side of the fuse

charliekuney
02-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't think sidemarkers should have been affected. Were they out before?

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't think sidemarkers should have been affected. Were they out before?

sidemarkers are on the same circuit as the dash lights, fuse 14, the regular running lamps are a different fuse, everything is from the 40 amp fuse under the hood, but if it was blown, the headlights wouldn't work

i read his thread again, and since he said the fuse never blew, i'm thinking it's the switch, the wire attached to 14 sounds incidental, probably from an old aux lamp setup, I think russian kid has a really good writeup on fixing the switch, the contacts just get dirty and quit making contact

SkateK610
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Which switch would that be, thanks for the help

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Which switch would that be, thanks for the help

well the light switch, if you turn it to the first spot and the lights don't come on, and the fuse is ok, but the second spot and they come on, it might be the switch, do the lights go up on their own?

SkateK610
02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Well, first click nothing, second click headlights, thats it

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, first click nothing, second click headlights, thats it

do the lights go up and down on their own? strange because the module uses a signal from both the headlights and parking lights to trigger the headlight motors, if there is no voltage between ground and either of the fuse terminals on 14, with the switch on, I would suspect the switch , it's a single heavy wire into the switch for both the headlights and the other lights, it's split after the switch, since the headlights come on, everything from the 40 amp fuse up into the headlight switch is ok, it's after that point, possibly inside of the switch

SkateK610
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
The headlights work just as they should

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 12:15 PM
The headlights work just as they should

strange, it has to be in the switch is 14 isn't blown, come to think of it i think the headlights get their signal from another fuse for the running lamps, do the running lamps come on on the outside of the car?

everything is on fuse 14, the output of the switch on position 1 goes to fuse 14 and is distributed from there, check for voltage at the fuse with it on and trace back from there to the switch, have you checked the plugs on the back of the fuse box? if the switch is good power may not be making it from the switch into the fusebox

SkateK610
02-13-2011, 12:26 PM
running lights dash, glove box, tail lights, and license plate dont work

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 12:27 PM
running lights dash, glove box, tail lights, and license plate dont work

i sent you a pm if you have aim get on aim my SN is lostfor

Dr_Snooz
02-13-2011, 01:16 PM
x2 on the switch. The combo switches are failure prone.

lostforawhile
02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
x2 on the switch. The combo switches are failure prone.

he's going to check it tomorrow but he said the fusebox was loose, it could be a connector plug isn't plugged in all the way

Demon1024
02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Couldn't the dimmer box under the wheel cause this?

just throwing it out there :)

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Yes, and it's easier to check than the combo switch. Nice catch.

lostforawhile
02-14-2011, 03:46 PM

it's not just the dash lights, it's all the lights off of switch position one, including the running lights on the car, also the clock doesn't dim, this is a direct 12 volt signal from the headlight switch,not through the dimmer box, basically everything off of fuse 14 is out, dimming circuit or not,all he has to do is check to see if there is voltage at fuse 14 with the switch on, voltage into 14 is directly from position one of the switch, everything past that is a branch off of it. no voltage, something is bad between the main power feed coming into the headlight switch, and that fuse, since the headlights work and retractors work, this means the 40 amp main fuse is good and power is coming into the switch

Demon1024
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
i'm pretty sure i had to rewire my running lights when i took this thing out. Who knows, it wasn't the problem (turned out to be a dash ground) i messed with alot at that time

SkateK610
02-15-2011, 10:56 PM
How would I go about checking the switch?

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Probably the simplest is to swap in a junkyard combo switch and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, you can download the ETM from the wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals) and start testing voltage outputs.

SkateK610
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Fixed, the wiring in this car has been completely rigged i took apart the steering cover and found a loose wire, reconnected and made a new piece to go into the fuse and all is good.

SkateK610
06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Now so I dont start a new thread on my electrical woes..

Another problem ive had since i got the car is the hazard switch doesn't work, when i flick it the turn signals wont work for a bit and i have to move the stick back and forth for them to start working again.

Where to start

BrokenBone
06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I think that's normal, my hazard lights only blink when I enable my turn signal and the hazard light switch.

SkateK610
06-20-2011, 03:35 PM
My hazards dont work at all, and after i switch them off the turn signal will take a bit to work again

lostforawhile
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
My hazards dont work at all, and after i switch them off the turn signal will take a bit to work again

hazard flasher module, and it's normal for the turn signal to be delayed slightly, the switch might not be all the way off, the turn signals go through that switch