PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP ASAP!!! 89 honda accord lxi lower ball joints...

89accordlxigentyers
02-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Ok im replacing my lower ball joints on my 89 accord lxi with 302xxx miles on her...

My ? is there is a steering knuckle ring on the back of the hub thats in the way of the lower ball joint being pressed out. Do I need to remove that s.k.r to remove the ball joint and replace the s.k.r? Or can i just reuse the ring???

Needing an answer asap cause it will take at least a week for the part to be delivered...

Thank you and have a great day 3gezzers...

gp02a0083
02-13-2011, 03:57 PM
yah that dust ring you reuse, that's for the bearing. it needs to be taken out to have enough room to get the ball joint out

Oldblueaccord
02-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Not sure about the ring part but usually the whole arm is taking out and a pressed is used. A few here say you can beat them back in with a hammer and socket but the angles seem impossible to me.

wp

89accordlxigentyers
02-13-2011, 04:03 PM
yah that dust ring you reuse, that's for the bearing. it needs to be taken out to have enough room to get the ball joint out

so gp i can re use the dust rings just by using a pry bar to ease them out and tap them back in with a rubber mallet? im using the moog lower ball joints and just bought 2 dorman upper control arms with bushings i no there really low end control arms but im in a pinch for cash till i get my taxes... know anything about dorman products?

89accordlxigentyers
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Not sure about the ring part but usually the whole arm is taking out and a pressed is used. A few here say you can beat them back in with a hammer and socket but the angles seem impossible to me.

wp

Oldblue i have access to a shop with a press so i dont have a problem with that atleast i dont think ill have a problem with that lol...

gp02a0083
02-13-2011, 06:44 PM
so gp i can re use the dust rings just by using a pry bar to ease them out and tap them back in with a rubber mallet? im using the moog lower ball joints and just bought 2 dorman upper control arms with bushings i no there really low end control arms but im in a pinch for cash till i get my taxes... know anything about dorman products?

yah on the dust ring, dorman stuff i don't buy , id rather spend the extra on the moog.

89accordlxigentyers
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
yah on the dust ring, dorman stuff i don't buy , id rather spend the extra on the moog.

ok well im waiting till i get my taxes to get th moog control arms with the uppers in them cause there like 150 at my advance auto...

nswst8
02-14-2011, 07:04 AM
GOTO: www.rockauto.com

I always just used a 3lb sledge and a heavy punch to replace the ball joints.

gp02a0083
02-14-2011, 11:05 AM
GOTO: www.rockauto.com

I always just used a 3lb sledge and a heavy punch to replace the ball joints.

yah that will work fine , if its really stuck in there then you will need a press

89accordlxigentyers
02-16-2011, 02:17 PM
yah that will work fine , if its really stuck in there then you will need a press

ok thanks alot guys for all the info but my lps is out of ball joint kits so would i just be able to use a c clamp w/ a 32 mil socket to press them in and out???

nswst8
02-16-2011, 03:23 PM
If they are rusted in there, torch wrench and PB blaster penetrating oil, 3lb sledge and a heavy punch will get the job done.

DBMaster
02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
ok well im waiting till i get my taxes to get th moog control arms with the uppers in them cause there like 150 at my advance auto...

I know what you mean! I got a pair of Moogs that were closeout specials at Rock Auto for $40 each. I bought cheaper ones in 1988, but they lasted less than two years before the balls joints had play in them and for that whole two years they made creaking and squeaking noises. The Dorman ones have to be better than those eBay ones I bought. I bought them when I was unemployed.

Demon1024
02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Working on memory from like 4 years ago i believe there is a ring behind that shield that has to come out. Don't remember it being a pain tho.

89accordlxigentyers
02-17-2011, 12:31 PM
ok guys im going to give it a shot with out the ball joint kit tonight and ill let yall know how it goes... im hopping it dont take any longer than 6 hrs lol... thanx for the help...

89accordlxigentyers
02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
ok guys i cant believe how well my car handles now its like a new ride its so amazing.... new upper a arms with ball joints lower ball joint cv shafts and tire rod ends... putting on some new tires this weekend too... thanks for all the help... btw i just took the lowers to napa and they only charged me 50 to press them so its all good now...