PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Issue Returns

DBMaster
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
I asked about this issue recently. I am finding that intermittently my power steering will fail when slowing down for a turn. It happens about 10% or so of the time. The verdict last time was that I should try replacing the P/S fluid. I emptied the system and flushed the filter in the reservoir tank. After I got done I was able to verify that fluid flows through the tank freely. The rack in my car is a reman that was installed by my mechanic several years ago. It was rebuilt by a reputable company, though, I don't know if this type of problem would be caused by the rack. I am thinking it may have something to do with the pump, but I am at a loss.

nswst8
02-14-2011, 12:14 PM
I also have a momemtary loss of P/S similar to your. Mine problem seems to be with the rack(Seals). It is still the original, I was just going to replace it sometime in the near future. I replace the pump back in 04, still same problem.

DBMaster
02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
I had the rack replaced after it had developed many leaks. My mechanic generally uses very good rebuilt stuff and, of course, I have not had any issues until recently. Looking back at my maintenance schedule I realized I had the rebuilt rack installed in September of 2003 and I have put 124,000 miles on the car since I got it done. There are no leaks in the system currently. I recently replaced some of the smaller hoses and the front seal on the pump. I don't have to add fluid routinely.

I'm going to try emptying and refilling the system again.

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I was having that momentary loss of assist too. I replaced the fluid and haven't had trouble since. I have replaced fluid a couple more times since then though. I'm currently getting a sigh from the PS pump area when I make the first couple turns after starting the car on cold mornings. Probably time to flush it again but it could be time for a new pump too.

I went to the junkyard and got another reservoir. I cut the top off, removed the filter and epoxied the top back on. When I get a chance, I will swap in the filter-less reservoir and run a replaceable inline filter in the system. I plan to replace the fluid and filter every 30k miles or so henceforth.

DBMaster
02-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Doctor,

Yeah, I am thinking since replacing the fluid eliminated the problem for a good number of months I may get some mileage out of repeating the process. I like your idea of removing the filter, but can you get the plastic clean enough to get a good seal from epoxy? I know my mechanic told me that he has never replaced a reservoir tank due to filter restriction, but it seemed to me like the thing had to have reduced flow eventually. But, when I poured fresh fluid into the thing while it was off the car the fluid flowed pretty freely from the bottom. Danny (of Danny's Import Service) claimed that the built in filter was a stainless steel mesh, but the picture you took of the one in the wrecking yard looked like paper or fiber to me. What do you think?

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I suspect a fluid change will help, but you're basically prolonging the inevitable. Whatever is going out will need to be changed eventually. I'm just seeing how long I can put it off.

My epoxy job appears to be holding well enough so far. I just shot it with brake part cleaner. I probably didn't do a good enough job. Time will tell.

The filters I've pulled out are definitely paper. A torn or failed filter won't ever restrict. It will just allow gunk and crud to recirculate endlessly. I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. The crud gets caught in a little passage and you get a loss of power for a moment.

DBMaster
02-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the optimistic appraisal. LOL!

Truthfully, I think I got pretty decent service out of this rebuilt rack already - 124K miles. As long as there are no leaks and the fluid change helps I'm leaving well enough alone.

2oodoor
02-16-2011, 12:09 PM
rule out loose belt and bad ball joints before you start tackling a rack replacement.. whew
These cars have the variable assist that work off the speedometer, look there too for something foul.

DBMaster
02-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Interesting. Last year I bought a new speed sensor. I ended up returning it because I figured out that I could take a couple of bolts out of the original one and replace the large o-ring inside and be good to go again. I wonder if the speed sensor is the problem... The issue is very intermittent, though.

88Accord-DX
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
For some reason, I can't see these accords having variable power steering assist. Just don't seem like the ECU is advanced enough. If anything this ECU could put out is to idle up the RPMs a little.

Strugglebucket
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
The steering is variable assist, but it's mechanical from the orifices in the speed sensor that spin.

There's also a sensor on 88/89s to boost the idle when the pressure goes up while turning at really low speed or stopped.

DBMaster
02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
^ Yes. There is a sensor that is screwed into a metal fitting right around the middle of the pressure hose. Aftermarket pressure hoses for these cars have a plug in the threaded hole so that the same hose will work for the entire generation.

These cars do have "variable assist" steering, but it is a pretty unsophisticated version. It's either all or nothing. Below 35 mph it's pretty much full power steering and above that it's none. Honda started in 1990 with a true variable assist system for the Accord.

import racer
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe we could adopt the way they do the 90 and newer to our cars.

Panda Accord
02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Maybe we could adopt the way they do the 90 and newer to our cars.

That'd probably be pretty expensive.