PDA

View Full Version : Turboing an 89 Accord LX-i

FK78
02-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Ok, I just got an 89 Accord LX-i Sedan to use as a project car. I was wanting to turbo it but don't really know much about them and was wondering is it even possible to get 250+ HP out of the A20A3 that is in it? The car right now has an auto trans and i was planning on having the motor rebuilt (and probably strengthened so I don't blow it). If it can be done what all would i need in order to make it work? Thanks for the help!

Nio
02-14-2011, 08:26 PM
First off, Welcome

2nd, search will become your friend.

however. personally I haven't heard of anyone with that kind of power.

>.> I know one look got like 170 with N/A *and alot of work*

several have done boost but with obd conversions.

and the fact that its a auto will probably limit you from reaching that power *or wanting to* because I don't think there are ways to get it to handle that right.

but hey I may be wrong, and give it 20 or so minutes and someone with WAYYY more knowledge then me will post. ;D got it.

again welcome.

(>^_^)>

89T
02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
It's been done 3 or 4 times.

Tdurr
02-15-2011, 10:09 AM
yes it can be done, but be willing to spend at least 5grand on your parts, not including install and a final tune.

RAZR
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
First off, Welcome

2nd, search will become your friend.

however. personally I haven't heard of anyone with that kind of power.

>.> I know one look got like 170 with N/A *and alot of work*

several have done boost but with obd conversions.

and the fact that its a auto will probably limit you from reaching that power *or wanting to* because I don't think there are ways to get it to handle that right.

but hey I may be wrong, and give it 20 or so minutes and someone with WAYYY more knowledge then me will post. ;D got it.

again welcome.

(>^_^)>

rendon lxi is making well over 200 easily

FK78
02-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I figured that it wouldnt be cheap to do but what all would I need? Also would the auto trans hold up to it or would I need to get a different one?

RAZR
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I figured that it wouldnt be cheap to do but what all would I need? Also would the auto trans hold up to it or would I need to get a different one?

hahahah auto never ur gunna need the 5-speed

here somehelp on forced induction

http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

RAZR
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
if u read the IMPORTANT in bif red letters that are right above this thread it will help greatly

FK78
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok, is there any particular one that is better than the rest?

RAZR
02-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Ok, is there any particular one that is better than the rest?

what one do u mean? do u mean turbos?

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Even if you rebuild the trans i dont see it holding very long. you will need a 5-speed swap and good clutch kit. You can do the motor rebuild, trans swap and turbo it for around 3k but you wont be at 250hp. for those numbers your looking 4-5k+. other then the motor and trans work its all custom work from turbo manifold, downpipe and exhaust to wiring and tuning. I had everything to do my turbo setup a few years ago and i was just over 2k, but everything was done by me and my buddy and i got parts at a very good price, got rid of the car before i had the chance to put it all in though and probably would have cost a little more to tweak some things. 2500 is a fair estimate for a mild turbo setup with staying obd0 and keeping custom work to a minimum as long as you do all the work involved, but you wont be close to 250hp probably 175-200.

FK78
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info. And I was talking about trans, sorry. But knowing what turbo would work would help too.

Tdurr
02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
yea, if i ever get all my parts lined up right ill see about turning the boost up on my set up and making 250 on the stock bottom end ahaha. that would be sweet.

ohh and ud need a stage3 or higher clutch if u want 250 so add that into the 5speed swap. my stage 3 was 280shipped.

RAZR
02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info. And I was talking about trans, sorry. But knowing what turbo would work would help too.

the only trans that works with the a20 is the a20"s manual 5-speed.
there is almost no after market support with these motors

Tdurr
02-15-2011, 02:43 PM
yea, the early integra gears swap out with the accord ones, but you would only want to do that if your staying NA cuz they are super fucking short.

but there is support, its just harder to find, do alot of research on the forums and all ur questions will be answered before you can ask.

87roach
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
What's the point of a FAQ?

FK78
02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Ok, kewl. Thanks for the help.

89T
02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Dont scare this one away guy's. The more turbo accords the better.

AccordEpicenter
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
turbo is about the only way to go fast with an a20. The big thing is the tune and managemant are very important. If you have a quality tune, it might be doable in a stock shortblock but youll be better off longevity wise with a slightly modified shortblock... the weak link is def the pistons. Thats about it, but if your gonna change the pistons, get forged pistons and get forged rods too, cheap insurance. Thats about all you really need to do with the shortblock, and the supporting machine work. The head doesnt flow that well but if your only looking for 250hp you should be fine with that and maybe a cheap used B16 intake manifold and throttle body portmatched to the stock head and youll pick up some power. But remember, even if the engine is built, it wont last if its untuned, esp on pump gas. And please, swap to 5 speed. The auto wont hold up long... In my LXI i went from running 17.3 1/4 mile times to 13s on the SAME STOCK ENGINE just running a hacked up turbo setup (my first setup, SAFC, 450cc injectors and a BTM!!!) on STREET TIRES with 2.4 60FTS! Anyway, my friend was running mid 12s and he still couldnt beat my trap speeds (105-106mph). And that was on about 13psi boost, UNTUNED, Stock EVERYTHING. So def wayy more left in the car, even at that point... I have a new race setup that I have of yet to dyno, getting divorced :(

Rendon LX-i
02-15-2011, 11:26 PM
O boi. WHere even to start. I would research research and research and research. PLENTY of info on here

I asked the same question you did. TOOK me 4 yrs. to collect and even get the point sense i had no one to teach me. First setup i had was a very solid setup. Setup i have now is race setup. BUT i need to obd1 which already i have well over 900. Wiring,dizzy,ecu chipped,tuning,wideband,

Turbo and manifold alone is 1000. IM not trying to scare you away. BUT you have to be willing to throw that type of cash to get these old girls to move. ITS not a CIVIC. Like the saying goes. IF you want a fast car Then a 3g is NOT for YOU.

SO my suggestion is Take in the info that the guys told ya and go Read some more. THere is a Forced induction faq. It well tell you everything you need. GO see other people setups and go off that. I learned alot from HMT.com BTW WELCOME and hope you get er done. I would like to see another boosted accord. there is only a few of us left in this world with a 3g that is boosted. LOL

BTW everything is custom. NO one makes manifolds unless you have one made from one of the members here. Pretty much build what you want. DOnt have to be fancy. SHIT mine wasnt NEAR as fancy LOL. it was True HMT.

Nio
02-15-2011, 11:37 PM
rendon lxi is making well over 200 easily

True but he also blew a good bit of parts getting there. Not to mention it sat for awhile because of that. :D I remember the videos up on youtube.

I plan to get there myself, but I want to get a good N/A build first.

Rendon LX-i
02-15-2011, 11:44 PM
YUP i blew cause i was pushing her hard. Trail and error. Thats the only way you going to learn

Nio
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
YUP i blew cause i was pushing her hard. Trail and error. Thats the only way you going to learn

lol, didn't even notice you had posted, :D

Funny thing though, your youtube videos seriously pumped me up when I got my 3g. epic stuff.

FK78
02-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Ok,kewl and thanks a lot. I'm still pretty much in the researching stage now trying to learn what can and cannot be done. I just got the car a few days ago and don't really plan on getting much for it right off the bat except fixing the driver door. It's all research for the time being until I start to get a list together of what ill need and actually start buying parts.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-16-2011, 08:43 AM
here is what i had for my setup.
-Turbo kit (T3/T4 turbo, 38mm wastegate, FMIC)
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump
-Custom made turbo manifold and downpipe
-MSD blaster 2 coil
-ARP head studs from 2.0L mazda miata
-Rebuilt head
-Rebuilt block
-Modified B18C1 intake manifold
-450cc DSM injectors
-Removed A/C system and cruise control
-Automatic to Manual transmission swap
-New motor mounts
-Golden Eagle adjustable Cam gear
-Pacesetter 2 1/4" catback exhaust
-High flow catalytic converter
-Koyo radiator
-Clutchnet kevlar clutch disc
-Clutchnet red 2x pressure plate
-Polyurethane shift bushings
-Vortech BTM
-SAFC

AccordEpicenter
02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
I didnt really feel that the car was hard on parts, it ran as expected, but everything is custom for this car. It def is not the cheapest way to go fast, but watching peoples faces in disbelief as they get smoked by an old ass accord is really priceless!

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I didnt really feel that the car was hard on parts, it ran as expected, but everything is custom for this car. It def is not the cheapest way to go fast, but watching peoples faces in disbelief as they get smoked by an old ass accord is really priceless!

Thats what its all about.

FK78
02-16-2011, 03:38 PM

That was my original thought when I got the car lol. But now I'm starting to see that there is ALOT more to making that happen than I originally thought.

Vanilla Sky
02-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I feel that some of these prices being thrown out are a bit out of line. I see Evo and STI stock pull-off turbos for less than $200 all the time. These won't get you as much as the absolute best turbo for the motor, but they'll do well. Manifolds aren't that much either. If you're happy with a log, they're not too expensive to put together.

I'm looking to hit 14s in my car. I'll be stripped down to only the things needed to make it go, but I'm also looking to spend less than $2000, including the price of the car. I have to hit that mark AND sell $1000 of stuff from the build in order to make budget for the race.

I'm still trudging through Corky Bell's book, though. What do I know other than what a MS kit costs and how to put stuff together? I haven't learned why what turbo works with which motor the best and why. Working on that, though.

jesus_charger
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
speaking of turbos... does anyone know if theres a turbo 3gee in california?.. cause i hate the CARB laws here!

Tdurr
02-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I feel that some of these prices being thrown out are a bit out of line. I see Evo and STI stock pull-off turbos for less than $200 all the time. These won't get you as much as the absolute best turbo for the motor, but they'll do well. Manifolds aren't that much either. If you're happy with a log, they're not too expensive to put together.

I'm looking to hit 14s in my car. I'll be stripped down to only the things needed to make it go, but I'm also looking to spend less than $2000, including the price of the car. I have to hit that mark AND sell $1000 of stuff from the build in order to make budget for the race.

I'm still trudging through Corky Bell's book, though. What do I know other than what a MS kit costs and how to put stuff together? I haven't learned why what turbo works with which motor the best and why. Working on that, though.

lol need some dsm parts? i can see about getting you some used evo/eclipse stuff.

Rendon LX-i
02-16-2011, 07:02 PM

I wouldnt go with a any dsm turbo unless its a EVO Big 16g from experiance MY 2g T25 was good but was lacking. IF you want a good made log mani you pay 200 easy. IF you make your own parts then yea youll save a lot of money. BUT i learned NOT to buy cheap shit. I went threw alot of turbos and crappy w/gs bovs. I bought me a T70 garret which was 500 dollars. My ram horn was alot to.

YOu can go on a cheapy budget but even THAT youll be over 1200 i did my own piping and did all my work Except the Log manifold that just bought. with the Safc injectors,pump. turbo manifold,dp and FUll catback. I was well over 1200 i have all my copys of what i bought. SO i told it how it is. TUrboing a car is NOT cheap. IM supprised this guy aint getting flamed i remember when i asked i was getting slapped in the face. IM like wtf .......EVEN with a small turbo and what not its going to be spendy. ask TIm aka Tdurr he has my old setup. He knows its not cheap. IF i had a Dirty d. FUck i would be saving money. BUT like AccordEpicenter said. The look on people faces is what is all about and worth. I would be lieing if i told a guy Turboing a 3g is cheap. Cause ITS NOT. SO dont take what i said in a fucked up way. BUt if you think 1000 for a turbosetup is your budget .......................... I got alot of hope for ya.......K im tired of typing lol

Rendon

ShyBoyCA6
02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Oh man I forgot all about turbo in my car. That since I got the coupe I just didn't pay attention to the sedan. Makes me wanna get back on it since I don't see many turbo sedans on (3or 4) here at the most. Sure would like to be one of the guys with turbo and maybe be the 1st or second 3G owner with a turbo sedan. In california.

Nio
02-16-2011, 08:08 PM
GYAAAAA

all this talk about turbos is making me want to slap one in.....*shakes head* but I can't yet, I'm gonna wait it out and do the N/A build first. get everything running all nice, and then I might order some custom low comp pistons from bisi when, and if I decide to turbo. :P

Tdurr
02-16-2011, 09:24 PM
so far ive spent well over 4k into my set up. i dropped at least 2200, to get the turbo on my car and running, and ive yet to tune it.
Granted i did run into some of the weirdest problems and i run the "if it breaks, upgrade it" policy soo... yea....

ShyBoyCA6
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I think IMO that 5k is ok for a good start with 200hp to at least see those number if not a bit more(210hp).

If spending over 7k or more then you'll see more numbers but maybe more risk on the motor. i think that 250 or 280 would be great from these cars.

Tdurr
02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
IMO they would make more tq then hp up to like 220hp.
but i think with 3-4500ish on a solid stock bottom end u could make 230 with a good tune all day and be safe.

MessyHonda
02-17-2011, 06:31 AM
guyanabo89 is the only guy that has dynoed his turbo hatch but he is doing like 15psi and making 330whp

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-17-2011, 09:02 AM
-Turbo kit (T3/T4 turbo, 38mm wastegate, FMIC)
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump
-Custom made turbo manifold and downpipe
-MSD blaster 2 coil
-ARP head studs from 2.0L mazda miata
-Rebuilt head
-Rebuilt block
-Modified B18C1 intake manifold
-450cc DSM injectors
-Removed A/C system and cruise control
-Automatic to Manual transmission swap
-New motor mounts
-Golden Eagle adjustable Cam gear
-Pacesetter 2 1/4" catback exhaust
-High flow catalytic converter
-Koyo radiator
-Clutchnet kevlar clutch disc
-Clutchnet red 2x pressure plate
-Polyurethane shift bushings
-Vortech BTM
-SAFC

This setup is only about 2500, and if your already 5-speed, use the stock intake manifold and head studs and do well with buying your parts then a 2k budget is reasonable as long as you do everything yourself or with friends help. I had one of those ebay civic turbo kits and had a log manifold. you could also sell the new no-name turbo and the B or D series manifold it comes with and buy a nice used garret. Hell if you can fab your own log manifold, downpipe and exhaust, hit the junkyard for a higher flow fuel pump and DSM injectors and maybe stock turbo off of something else you would be doing great on costs. The price your going to pay really depends on how much you can do on your own and how good you are at finding great parts at a cheap price.

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2011, 12:23 PM
See, I'm very able to find parts cheap. I'm also not worried if my motor blows up, as I have a better condition spare.

Turbochargers aren't horribly expensive, piping isn't that bad if you can put it together yourself, intercoolers are cheap, an ECU isn't nearly as expensive as most people think. If you're doing all of the heavy lifting yourself, your wallet doesn't have to do much at all.

-Turbo kit (T3/T4 turbo, 38mm wastegate, FMIC) - No need for a kit, put it together for well less than $300
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump - eBay pump from a car that needs a higher flowing pump, Mustang GT is a good candidate
-Custom made turbo manifold and downpipe - there's been an unfinished manifold in the marketplace for $100 for a long time
-MSD blaster 2 coil - came with the parts car, only $20 new anyway, but may get tossed if I go COP
-ARP head studs from 2.0L mazda miata - might be something I need if I stretch the stock ones
-Rebuilt head - not necessary
-Rebuilt block - not necessary
-Modified B18C1 intake manifold - not needed at all
-450cc DSM injectors - junkyard parts
-Removed A/C system and cruise control - free
-Automatic to Manual transmission swap - already a 5 speed in my case
-New motor mounts - poly fill
-Golden Eagle adjustable Cam gear - not needed
-Pacesetter 2 1/4" catback exhaust - dumping through the passenger fender well
-High flow catalytic converter - HA, it's a race car
-Koyo radiator - might swap a Civic radiator in
-Clutchnet kevlar clutch disc - car has a new clutch
-Clutchnet red 2x pressure plate - car still has the same new clutch
-Polyurethane shift bushings - making my own from HPDE on a lathe
-Vortech BTM - MS will likely control spark
-SAFC - MS will control fuel

A lot of stuff for me is digging through junkyards and having no need to make the car reliable. The longest the car will have to run at one time is a few minutes, so I doubt that I'll have major overheating issues. It will probably be towed to the track on a trailer. I think I can get it reliable enough to weekend drive with only cooling system upgrades after the Challenge.

FK78
02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Ok, I got somewhat of a list made up and got some really rough numbers (haven't really had time to look up prices) and its looking like around 5k or so. My dad will be helping with this and he can fab pretty well and knows his way around a car. The only thing I see us have problems with is tuning cause we've never done it before. Also does anyone know what turbo would be good for this?

87roach
02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I have probably close to $3,000 invested on turbo parts and it's not even on my car yet :(

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Vanilla, thats what i was saying. That list is what I had and the total was around 2500, and you really dont even need everything i listed. And even some of the parts I bought off ebay you could pull at the junkyard for a lot cheaper.

AccordEpicenter
02-17-2011, 01:34 PM
i paid like $110 for my old SVO T3 turbo. It was a .60/.63, worked really good. I dont reccomend a log mani but it will work just fine, just at the expense of power. People are around making flanges for the a20 so you can get a flange and make your own turbo mani. This is the way to go.

89T
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I didn't really feel that the car was hard on parts, it ran as expected, but everything is custom for this car. It def is not the cheapest way to go fast, but watching peoples faces in disbelief as they get smoked by an old ass accord is really priceless!
would you guy's believe he's my brother?;)

LOL need some dsm parts? i can see about getting you some used evo/eclipse stuff.
If their too small for their 2.0l cars we'd be in the same boat.

GYAAAAA

all this talk about turbos is making me want to slap one in.....*shakes head* but I can't yet, I'm gonna wait it out and do the N/A build first. get everything running all nice, and then I might order some custom low comp pistons from bisi when, and if I decide to turbo. :Pdude don't even sweat it. I am running 10.5-1 pistons.

guyanabo89 is the only guy that has dynoed his turbo hatch but he is doing like 15psi and making 330whp
feeling the love messy

This setup is only about 2500, and if your already 5-speed, use the stock intake manifold and head studs and do well with buying your parts then a 2k budget is reasonable as long as you do everything yourself or with friends help. I had one of those ebay civic turbo kits and had a log manifold. you could also sell the new no-name turbo and the B or D series manifold it comes with and buy a nice used garret. Hell if you can fab your own log manifold, downpipe and exhaust, hit the junkyard for a higher flow fuel pump and DSM injectors and maybe stock turbo off of something else you would be doing great on costs. The price your going to pay really depends on how much you can do on your own and how good you are at finding great parts at a cheap price.:deal:

I have probably close to $3,000 invested on turbo parts and it's not even on my car yet :(
$3k! yeah, but it will be very nice.

i paid like $110 for my old SVO T3 turbo. It was a .60/.63, worked really good. I don't reccomend a log Mani but it will work just fine, just at the expense of power. People are around making flanges for the a20 so you can get a flange and make your own turbo Mani. This is the way to go.
T3 minimum is the only way to go.

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2011, 05:10 PM
T3 is perfect for a A series.

FK78
02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I've been looking around on the net for a while and was wondering if this (http://turboneticsinc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_91&product_id=574) would be a good turbo to start with or should I just go to a junkyard and get one there?

87roach
02-17-2011, 07:48 PM
All this turbo talk is adding to my fever. :(

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
I've been looking around on the net for a while and was wondering if this (http://turboneticsinc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_91&product_id=574) would be a good turbo to start with or should I just go to a junkyard and get one there?

No need for a $900 turbo at all. I think your looking to go too extreme for your first turbo build. Keep it simple and stick to the basics. Once you have experience with the basic turbo setup then look into doing more serious modifications to it. When you decide to upgrade after that you can sell the old parts for the same price you paid so you wouldnt even lose money and then put that money towards the upgrades. Thats just my opinion. Maybe start off with the 5speed swap, that will give you some time to really get to know how the car is setup and where everything is.

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm afraid of turbocharging period. I'm expecting to blow up at least one motor. I just understand that it's the cheapest way to get a lot of power from a motor. I still have a few months to get everything purchased, built, and installed before the challenge. If I weren't budget limited, I'd still be buying cheap stuff, though. I want to get my feet wet with parts that don't cost us our first born.

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Jesus thats spendy . You can get a hx-35 holset from a dodge cummings truck for 200 or less best bang for the buck. An it's about big as mine an that nitics . Or a t3 from a sabb. Start easy bro.

Tdurr
02-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm afraid of turbocharging period. I'm expecting to blow up at least one motor. I just understand that it's the cheapest way to get a lot of power from a motor. I still have a few months to get everything purchased, built, and installed before the challenge. If I weren't budget limited, I'd still be buying cheap stuff, though. I want to get my feet wet with parts that don't cost us our first born.

nooo, see thats the problem. 99% of the turbo stuff is best to buy name brand parts the first time, cuz they wont break. the only things that really break on turbo cars are bottom ends and turbo seals. everything else, its go big so it wont limit your power or will rob your reliability.

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2011, 10:34 PM
my car had 150,000 but a HARD 150,000 on my first motor been to iowa and wa 4 times then wa to tx then wa. LOL not to metion i hot lapped it in tx at the track. I turboed the beast in 08 and it lasted a long time till i swtich to a t3 and shit started to give out.

If you spend the money on good parts the first time youll save money on the long run. If you buy cheap shit like i did you have to spend more money to get good parts. No ching chong meow on my 3g now. dont be afraid sky. Just do it.

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Well, turbo motors tend to die in a more spectacular fashion, taking more parts out than a typical N/A build. I'm not too worried about blowing a motor up like this. I AM worried about killing a turbo.

Most of the parts I plan on using are OEM parts. They're either going to be Honda OEM, Subaru OEM, or Mistubishi OEM. Possible Saab or Volvo for some of the piping.

With my build, I'm going to be flirting with the edge of what the setup will give me. I need to be able to squeeze everything I can out of that motor without spending too much. Like I said, I have around $2000 to spend on the whole car, and I'm already in for about $400.

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Nice. need to make a build thread. OR did i miss it some place?

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Build thread is there, but the project is idle until I gather parts and tools to do anything. I did try to get it running again, but I'm not getting fuel.

Tdurr
02-17-2011, 10:48 PM
shit for piping use some ebay civic CAI. i have a few sections of that stuff in my piping haha.

and i forgot ur doing the time attack thing. if u wanna use my mani to copy, come up here and pull it off

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
There's one in the marketplace that I'll probably buy if I get the money.

ShyBoyCA6
02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
So much for helping the guy lol might as well change the name of the thread

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2011, 11:02 PM
LOL. i was bout to say that. A its still bout turbos. LOL so good info for him.

Tdurr
02-17-2011, 11:03 PM
ahahaha

MessyHonda
02-18-2011, 12:37 AM
feeling the love messy

jerry....we want dyno numbers from your car...i know you have a brand new set up but no numbers...only guyanabo, ericw and you have proven to have bad ass turbo cars

Rendon LX-i
02-18-2011, 01:06 AM
O i havent. I SEE HOW IT IS LOL. just cause im brown. orale hommmes

Rendon LX-i
02-18-2011, 01:06 AM
ill show you WATCH LOL

FK78
02-18-2011, 06:11 AM
Really, all of this talk has been a lot of help to me. But with more info comes more questions, and now I'm wondering about the ecu upgrade to obd1. What all do you need to do that, just a distributor and ecu or is there more you need?

MessyHonda
02-18-2011, 07:41 AM
O i havent. I SEE HOW IT IS LOL. just cause im brown. orale hommmes

DUDE!.... thats your old set up anyways....btw...your car is preaty fast....just no traction....lol...we need a meet so i can get a ride in the new set up:thumbup:

Tdurr
02-18-2011, 11:25 AM
my car is faster :P

AccordEpicenter
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
just remember, if you do anything ghetto, youll end up re doing it. Plus, my first motor died because of a main bearing issue, not pistons, not rods, not headgaskets etc... Im pretty sure that mains were damaged before going turbo (always heard a noise i could not diagnose) and that motor def had a hard life.

Tdurr
02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
psh ive ghetto rigged stuff... lol jk it only happens when stuff breaks and im on the road...

89T
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
jerry....we want dyno numbers from your car...i know you have a brand new set up but no numbers...only guyanabo, ericw and you have proven to have bad ass turbo cars
I have posted dyno numbers, and graphs. 234/224 Their not the current one's though.

89T
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
DUDE!.... thats your old set up anyways....btw...your car is pretty fast....just no traction....lol...we need a meet so i can get a ride in the new set up:thumbup:
Why does he have to give you a ride... build you're own and race him.:bowrofl:

My boy Rendon got it all sewn up! LOL

Rendon LX-i
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
O hell no Jerry lol. Talking shit bout your homie Rendon mannnn. Lol I'm going to dyne in Seattle once I get done with the tuning an obd1 conversion. Well my old setup which Tim has got down but lacked top end due to 2 inch downpipe lmfao. This setup beast . If you come down you can drive it. Bring another set of chonies just in case lol.

89T
02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
just playin bro.. I am trying to get messy to step up.

MessyHonda
02-19-2011, 01:49 AM
just playin bro.. I am trying to get messy to step up.

yeah...you are right :stick:

i need to quit one of my 2 jobs and stop spending money on going out

ok here is my inspiration

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/PIC-0133.jpg

89T
02-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Get it done. Brotha!

Tdurr
02-19-2011, 01:46 PM
psh, hurry up with that. i wanna see u making other cars poop their pants when u hit vtak!! lol

Accordtheory
03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
You can get a hx-35 holset from a dodge cummings truck for 200 or less best bang for the buck.

Actually, a used hy35 from a slightly newer cummins (ebay) would probably be a better choice, T3 single scroll instead of twinscroll, most people don't want to build a twinscroll manifold. The hy35 should spool decently on the 2.0L a20 due to it's something like .63ar housing, and the compressor is big enough to make more horsepower than any a20 transmission can reliably take.

I'm always amazed at how conservative people are on here, look at the rest of the honda world, you'll see why I mean. For example, look at what people do with the crappy little D16 motors. I remember a thread on honda-tech where a guy bent all 4 stock rods with over 500whp, the motor still ran like that, just lower compression. That's a good tune, btw, bent rods before broken pistons.

Speaking of the pistons, I don't think a20 pistons are inferior to the other honda pistons, and with all the other hondas, people at least double their hp on stock motors. I'd say similar power numbers to an integra ls motor are doable on a stock a20 shortblock, you just have to tune conservatively, like any other stock block turbo build.

Rendon LX-i
03-01-2011, 04:13 AM
i was going to say the hy35 also. BUt just giving him the idea. O and i get you bro.

ShyBoyCA6
03-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Messy I want your motor bro! Lol get er done meow! I wanna see this motor in action. :)

MessyHonda
03-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Messy I want your motor bro! Lol get er done meow! I wanna see this motor in action. :)

she is going to be built in time when i get my DL back

Tdurr
03-04-2011, 12:25 PM
^^ ur lost ur DL? that blows man... ive been there..

MessyHonda
03-05-2011, 02:13 AM
^^ ur lost ur DL? that blows man... ive been there..

not really....i still have it but i cant drive because i take medication...i have not even had a drink in 3 months

AccordEpicenter
03-05-2011, 01:56 PM
i have not even had a drink in 3 months

That sucks

MessyHonda
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
That sucks

yes it does...but im saving on not going out... at least 100 bucks a week

Tdurr
03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
not really....i still have it but i cant drive because i take medication...i have not even had a drink in 3 months

i havent had a drink in like 3 days and im bumed out haha.

but that sucks man. take that 100 bucks and save up on something for the accord

Nio
03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I've been stuck out on a navy op since the 23rd, XD 12-18 hour days of work, and no weekends. I REALLY want some saki right about now.

Good thing is I get off in 8 more days.

so its not the worst.

MessyHonda
03-06-2011, 01:20 AM

yeah i need some k-sports

AccordEpicenter
03-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Lol yeah! True story. Last night I wanted to go to the bar but ended up at a friends house drinking gin n tonic all nite. If that didnt happen I prolly woulda went and got a couple of 40s and go bothered my other friend.

Tdurr
03-09-2011, 07:18 PM
lol 40s are great

AccordEpicenter
03-18-2011, 08:37 PM
lol 40s are great

True story!