PDA

View Full Version : 88 Lx no power or low compression

3gkeemo
02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
hey sup fellow 3g drivers so the other day i came up on an 88 lx that just needed head gasket:deadhorse:. so i cleaned her out redid the gasket and fired her up................:facepalm:then all hell broke loose, a cloud of smoke engulfed my house and their was zero compression. i had to start her wit the gas pedal to the floor and keep it depressed to keep the car running can someone plz help me figure out what the problem is.

RAZR
02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
hey sup fellow 3g drivers so the other day i came up on an 88 lx that just needed head gasket:deadhorse:. so i cleaned her out redid the gasket and fired her up................:facepalm:then all hell broke loose, a cloud of smoke engulfed my house and their was zero compression. i had to start her wit the gas pedal to the floor and keep it depressed to keep the car running can someone plz help me figure out what the problem is.

possible craked rings. u could put compressed air into the cylinder that has no compression and listen open the oil cap and hear for air or the exhaust, throttlebody. and u can hear where the problem is

here is a video that will help u
http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy?feature=chclk#p/u/2/WgrfT0LFMhc

3gkeemo
02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
ok well i guess i'm looking for new engine is the best way to put it listened for air and was def a leak so when i took her back apart the pistons had mad carbon build-up and well the rings were just awful

kentwat
02-15-2011, 02:29 PM
How much of a ridge was at the top of the cylinders? You could buy a rebuild kit since you already tore it apart once.

3gkeemo
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
well luckily enough i found someone on Craigslist selling Lx-i hatch and i was thinking of do a fi swap but realized wow that would be so much more work to buy a working car to tear down and place it in my non working car when i could just either shell my 4dr and drive the hatch or try to sell the 4dr.................. so if anyone does want a 4dr lx shell you can pm me no rust and iight paintjob

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
How are you diagnosing that there is low compression?

3gkeemo
02-17-2011, 07:34 AM
well after performing the leakdown test at my school cylinder four was getting spark but nothing was happening. also as regards to the ridge the pistons themselves had mad carbon buildup and we honed the block just to get it smooth again didn't take off anything really and was still in spec according to alldata and it still wasn't running right. so upon further investigation and really looking at the rings the were broken. so instead of doing a rebuild on it i'm gonna sell the 4 dr as a shell

rvd
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
wait.....you pulled the pistons, honed the block but left the old shitty rings on the pistons??

Dr_Snooz
03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
^^^ and never even bothered to do a compression check?