PDA

View Full Version : Changin the Cat......

TsubohachiLX-i
02-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Hello 3geez!!!

Next weekend I plan on changing my cat converter, so I was wanting to know how much clearance do I really need to get under the car? I'm going to purchase service ramps, so i need to know the required clearance so I can buy the right ramps.

My car is currently set at its stock height......

ShyBoyCA6
02-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Enough for you to work down there.

A18A
02-17-2011, 10:24 PM
exactly lol. the more room you have the better

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
if you can get 4 jack stand it would be nice. An be prepared to use a cut off wheel. 20+ year old exhuast bolts are going to be nice to take off LOL. i remember putting my paceshitter on back in 05 O yea that was fun.

ShyBoyCA6
02-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Fuck Jack Stands Rent a Forklift LOL!!

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
O a mexican fork left is PEDISIMO to lol. YOU dont want to know LOL

Xaisk
02-18-2011, 06:09 AM
What Rendon said. 20 year old exhaust bolts suck ass to get off. They pretty much fuse together with the studs.

88lxi-shortram
02-18-2011, 06:50 AM
buy a can of PB blaster and get a ball peen hammer. leave the car up for a while and every 20 mins go out there and spray some on the bolts. then tap with a hammer. do this for about an hour and get or make yourself a breaker bar and your set to go :D

88Accord-DX
02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Yes, the bolts will be rusted & seized up. PB blaster works, sometimes you can put a torch to the nuts to get the to break loose. IF the stud twists off, plan on either driving the stud out with a hammer, drilling it out, or blowing it out with a cutting torch. Replace the gaskets & use some anti-seize on the threads. It's recommended to replace the oxygen sensor with cat replacement. If you have a universal one, might have to cut the flanges off & weld it in there. Hopefully you got one that lines up with the flange bolt holes so you can do in your driveway without all the welding equiptment.

Dr_Snooz
02-19-2011, 10:41 AM
You can always do like the last muffler shop I used. Get a rusty chainsaw and an ax. Hack the living crap out of everything 6" before and after the cat. Then weld the new cat in in a crooked and haphazard fashion. Be sure to throw away all supporting brackets and hardware too.

Demon1024
02-19-2011, 10:53 PM
^^^ I sure hope you threw a fit.

I've done it with a foot of clearance and a dremel once. Never again tho! Possible just very frustrating. Higher you can, the easier it will be. Just make sure to use good stands.
You have the emissions in Tx?

A18A
02-19-2011, 11:02 PM
lol and i thought the person who welded my muffler thingy on to the exhaust backwards was bad.

i use a monkey wrench when slamming a 13mm socket over them doesn't do the job. dropping the whole exhaust helps if things get bad

Dr_Snooz
02-20-2011, 08:26 PM
^^^ I sure hope you threw a fit.

Nope. If they do a crummy job the first time, I'm not about to take it back and let them have another crack at it. I just mop up the mess myself. It's why I don't take the car to shops.