PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Honda Accord Fuel Pump

openpulse
02-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Hi Guys, my name is Juan and I have a 1980 Honda Accord Sedan (JDM) 1.6 cc engine.

I'm having problems with my fuel pump, I must clarify that the one I have is NOT the original one and last night it stopped working. I noticed it doesn't make noise anymore, hence it doesn't work. In addition, I tested the voltage and it reads 5.6 - 6 (not sure if that is accurate). I believe I can rule out any issue with the Relay since voltage gets thru.

I wanted to replace the pump with a new one, but I'm unsure as to which one to buy. I found one @ eBay (Airtex Brand) but it says it's for the North American 1.8 cc Accord.

Does anybody know if that would work without problems with the 1.6 cc engine?

Thanks!

Demon1024
02-19-2011, 10:59 PM
That's the voltage going to the pump?

I'm in the dark about this particular car honestly, but I thought most every mechanical piece would be 12v? if not dam near everything. Like said, I don't know if your should but i would find that out first if you can.

lostforawhile
02-19-2011, 11:37 PM
you have a bad ground or a bad safety relay, they look like the three g one but with three terminals instead of 4

Hazwan
02-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Mine have similar voltage as well and its running well so I guess its like that by design?

openpulse
02-20-2011, 11:19 AM
That's the voltage going to the pump?

I'm in the dark about this particular car honestly, but I thought most every mechanical piece would be 12v? if not dam near everything. Like said, I don't know if your should but i would find that out first if you can.

I do know (from some Accord owners) that the voltage that the pump works on is 12v but it uses less, 8v or so. In my case apparently is uses 5.6-6 volts.

It might be a deffecitve Fuel Cut Relay. Honestly I'm not sure.

openpulse
02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Mine have similar voltage as well and its running well so I guess its like that by design?

I'm puzzled guys, I'm going to check the relay.. I'll keep you updated..
Thanks.

lostforawhile
02-20-2011, 11:48 AM
keep us updated, if it's the black three terminal one, I think I have one somewhere, I don't have any use for it

2ndGenGuy
02-20-2011, 11:56 AM
The fuel pumps should be the same for the 1.6 and 1.8 versions of the car. That kind that goes... click click click click.

lostforawhile
02-20-2011, 12:43 PM
The fuel pumps should be the same for the 1.6 and 1.8 versions of the car. That kind that goes... click click click click.

yea it should be just like the 81-83 civic pump, so i think this relay will work if he needs it. I believe those pumps may have been made by walbro, they made a lot of OEM diaphram pumps. I wish I had saved my old civic pumps, they were exactly right for the SU setup, I had brand new ones, and they weren't cheap. according to my book the pump should have 12 volts with the key on, if measued fom the positive terminal to ground, thats according to the civic factory manual i just dug out, both the accord and civics of those years shared very similar fuel system parts, you could even bolt on a 1.8 carb right on to a 1.5 civic manifold for a little better flow, not much but a little

2ndGenGuy
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
When you're measuring voltage at the pump, the engine has to be running. If the engine isn't running, the relay shouldn't be supplying voltage to the pump anyways. Sounds like you might just be getting some random trickling for some reason, but anyways, with just key on you won't see 12v.

openpulse
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
When you're measuring voltage at the pump, the engine has to be running. If the engine isn't running, the relay shouldn't be supplying voltage to the pump anyways. Sounds like you might just be getting some random trickling for some reason, but anyways, with just key on you won't see 12v.

You are right! According to they Haynes Manual for the Accord when you turn the ignition to (II) the check engine lights on the dashboard go on and in turn the fuel cut relay energizes the pump (so that fuel can be sent to the carburetor). And finally when you start the engine the pump works at full pressure.

I never mesured the volts with the engine on. And I can't cause the fuel pump died :(

openpulse
02-21-2011, 12:40 PM
keep us updated, if it's the black three terminal one, I think I have one somewhere, I don't have any use for it

Thanks for the offer lostforawhile! I'll keep you posted!

openpulse
02-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Hello Hazwan By any chance can you measure how many volts does the pump use with the engine on?

Thanks!

Ichiban
02-21-2011, 10:55 PM
The voltage at the pump should be battery voltage while the engine is running, and 0 with it not. I have a feeling that if you actually did see 5 volts with the engine off, that's what fried the pump, 5 volts didn't have enough go to cycle the solenoid, but likely baked the solenoid windings.

The OE pump is made by Mitsubishi. It has 2 electrical terminals, and 2 fuel lines.

The fuel cut solenoid functions differently depending on year. Early ones use oil pressure sensor signal to tell the solenoid to energize the pump. Later ones use ignition pulses to determine that the engine is running, and energize the pump.

openpulse
02-22-2011, 07:12 AM
The voltage at the pump should be battery voltage while the engine is running, and 0 with it not. I have a feeling that if you actually did see 5 volts with the engine off, that's what fried the pump, 5 volts didn't have enough go to cycle the solenoid, but likely baked the solenoid windings.

The OE pump is made by Mitsubishi. It has 2 electrical terminals, and 2 fuel lines.

The fuel cut solenoid functions differently depending on year. Early ones use oil pressure sensor signal to tell the solenoid to energize the pump. Later ones use ignition pulses to determine that the engine is running, and energize the pump.

Hi Ichiban, I just purchased the new fuel pump thru eBay, but after reading your post I'm considering getting a new Fuel Cut Off Relay as well. I don't want to fry the new pump.

openpulse
03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Quick update guys, the part is on it's way. actually I should say "the parts" since I also purchased the relay + fuel pump to be safe.

I'll post as soon as I get them.
:D

2ndGenGuy
03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
w000t!

openpulse
04-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Hi guys, hope you are doing great... About the fuel pump and relay I just ordered.. Here's the latest USPS info:

Processed through Sort Facility, April 14, 2011, 12:08 am, COLUMBUS, OH 43218
Processed through Sort Facility, March 01, 2011, 11:36 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007
Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 28, 2011

Needless to say, I'm a bit dissapointed with the shipping speed :(
So as you can see I'm still waiting for the package and the accord is a sitting duck in my garage. LoL

Cheers!

79cord
04-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear it's been so frustratingly delayed.

MessyHonda
04-17-2011, 10:58 PM
wow that is some slow moving part

1stgen!!!
05-20-2011, 06:19 PM
hi guys, i'm having a little trouble with my fuel pump too...
sometimes it doesn't work and I have to open my air filter and out a little of gas into the carburetor to make the engine work,and the "FUEL" light is always on in my dashboard...I have an 1979 Accord sedan JDM 1.6cc

openpulse the pump you bought is especific for the EL1 1.6cc JDM engine?
or the EK1 fuel pump works too?

sorry if I posted in the wrong place...still new around here..

1GCustomAccord
05-20-2011, 06:23 PM
sometimes it doesn't work and I have to open my air filter and out a little of gas into the carburetor to make the engine work,and the "FUEL" light is always on in my dashboard...I have an 1979 Accord sedan JDM 1.6cc

The fuel pump is the same for almost every EL/EK engined Accord/Prelude/Quintet, Etc.

Hazwan
05-21-2011, 04:32 AM
They all go click click click click click..

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

1stgen!!!
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
They all go click click click click click..

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

my pump when does that click blinks all lights of the car...
does the alternator gone? Or my fuel pump is too old or from an different car and she is consuming more than was projected for the oem pump?
In my country i'm the only one that have a 1gee,the accords came officially in 1990's...
so all parts of my 1gee is from other cars or imported...or the remanufactured original 30 year parts...

1GCustomAccord
06-23-2011, 12:29 PM
does the alternator gone? Or my fuel pump is too old or from an different car and she is consuming more than was projected for the oem pump?
In my country i'm the only one that have a 1gee,the accords came officially in 1990's...
so all parts of my 1gee is from other cars or imported...or the remanufactured original 30 year parts...

Wow! The only one in Brazil? I am in Paraguay and i sell 1st gen Honda Accord parts!
Se voce precissa uma peca, so envia uma messagem!

1stgen!!!
07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Wow! The only one in Brazil? I am in Paraguay and i sell 1st gen Honda Accord parts!
Se voce precissa uma peca, so envia uma messagem!

sorry about the delay on my answer...Iīm needing some parts for my engine see this thread(I donīt how to send private messages...): http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76080

reYmo
07-09-2011, 10:21 AM

You better run a positive wire from battery to the trunk, and add a relay. then connect the fuel pump to relay output. it will solve the problem.

openpulse
07-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys, hope you are doing ok. The last message I left was that I was waiting for the pump.. Well, I got good news and bad news!

Bad news first, The pump + the relay I ordered never made it over :thumbdn:

Now the good news, I found a similar replacement for the pump here (Argentina). It's not the identical pump. But it does the trick. It is a fuel pump for a suzuki 1000cc engine (not sure what model though).
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00GveQWjlcAVoK/Elector-Dynamics-Fuel-Pump-UC-V4.jpg

The car works like a charm and this pump is much quieter that the older pump I used to have.

In regards to the relay, the original one installed (Nippon Denso) seems to be working fine.

Thanks to everybody for the support and responses!

See you next time..

:wave:

openpulse
07-25-2011, 03:35 PM

Hi, 1stgen!!! Welcome to 1geez!

In response your question, the pump I ordered from a seller in eBay is the same specification as the original one and is made by Airtex www.airtexproducts.com the fuel pump model for the 1.6 cc engine is E8046

Unfortunately the part never arrived.