PDA

View Full Version : Quick pacesetter question

88lxi-shortram
02-20-2011, 07:03 AM
I see in the picture that there is a header downpipe and a straight pipe. Is this pipe a test pipe like object?

MessyHonda
02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
no its a ball joint that connects to the cat...i really hate that design because they are cheap and should of just added a flex pipe.

88lxi-shortram
02-20-2011, 08:57 AM
O ok:( I was hoping it was. I need a test pipe so I can have my exhaust complete so I can drive it home without bending valves. I was going to buy a test pipe on eBay for 30 but the listing ended an I can't get the seller to answer if he's got more. And idk any other ones that would fit our flange size

mushroom_toy
02-20-2011, 09:25 AM
You can run open header.

Bglad420
02-20-2011, 09:26 AM
???? How are you going to bend valves?

88lxi-shortram
02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Running open header or downpipe gives the chance of sucking in outside air which can cause a bent valve

lostforawhile
02-20-2011, 10:11 AM
no its a ball joint that connects to the cat...i really hate that design because they are cheap and should of just added a flex pipe.

they sell one of the name brand ball and socket joints on summit for over 80 bucks,not cheap, but it's not the best design, a good flex pipe will run over 30 bucks, but will protect the header welds, as long as the header is bolted to the engine securely and to the bracket on the back of the engine, with a flex pipe the welds will be a lot better off, with a ball and socket it transfers a lot more sress to the header welds. look for a good flex pipe, the good ones have multiple layers of stainless braid, if you look inside of the flex pipe, a cheap one will look like a piece of flexible exhaust pipe, a good one will have braid inside. I eneded up getting one from a local exhaust shop, the ones at the auto parts stores were junk. as far as bending valves, if you have some sort of pipe attached to the header thats not likely to happen, it's much morre likely if you do something stupid like run the engine with no manifold

88lxi-shortram
02-20-2011, 12:54 PM
ok... idk though because ive still got to fix my windshield and my sunroof. so 30 for a temporary exhaust filler compared to 105 for a good cat save me most of the money for the windshield.... on another note i wish i coudl post pics of the progress and ill try to find a way soon... i may be getting a new comp soon so well see... but its looking good

88lxi-shortram
02-20-2011, 06:02 PM
what about a test pipe from a cb7? could it fit? the flanges look alike online so idk if anyones every tryed??? input?

mushroom_toy
02-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I know too many people (including myself) that have run open header with no adverse effects. If I needed to get it home or to the muffler shop I would. Not gonna hurt it.

Demon1024
02-20-2011, 11:24 PM
i just bought a cv7 one to cut the flanges off of. Couldn't find the 3g one either :(

labeledsk8r
02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
im sorry but im laughing my ass off about bending valves from no exhaust.... get smart people

on the note of the paceseeter ball joint, i used it for a good year and it gave me no problems and i had no more vibrations then i did with the factory exhaust manifold.

also op you said your looking for a test pipe? they sell them on ebay for the cars should run a tune of like 35-40 shiped

lostforawhile
02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
im sorry but im laughing my ass off about bending valves from no exhaust.... get smart people

on the note of the paceseeter ball joint, i used it for a good year and it gave me no problems and i had no more vibrations then i did with the factory exhaust manifold.

also op you said your looking for a test pipe? they sell them on ebay for the cars should run a tune of like 35-40 shiped

I've seen valves get damaged from people pulling stunts like revving up an engine with no manifold, but as long as there is something attached to the manifold it should be ok,

88lxi-shortram
02-21-2011, 06:28 PM

i looked but i cant find any... if you could find one please post a link and i will :bowrofl:

lostforawhile
02-21-2011, 06:48 PM
i looked but i cant find any... if you could find one please post a link and i will :bowrofl:

exactly what are you needing?

88lxi-shortram
02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
a pipe that will fill in the space were the cat goes... a test pipe/ straight pipe

lostforawhile
02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
a pipe that will fill in the space were the cat goes... a test pipe/ straight pipe

do you need flanges, are you going to clamp the pipe,?? i can send you a piece of pipe but i need some specifications

88lxi-shortram
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I need flanges mostly. Piping I can come across but if you have some I'll gladly take it. The flanges are the hardest to find. And I'll end up welding the piping onto the flanges and making a custom test pipe if I could get my hands on the material

lostforawhile
02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
I need flanges mostly. Piping I can come across but if you have some I'll gladly take it. The flanges are the hardest to find. And I'll end up welding the piping onto the flanges and making a custom test pipe if I could get my hands on the material
is it a stock downpipe or a header? you can get header type flanges from summit racing pretty reasonable

labeledsk8r
02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
well damn guess ebay doesnt even suport 3gs anymore thats when you know its gettting bad LOLOLOL

but for real though the CB uses the same size cat and flanges so this will work just fine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93-HONDA-ACCORD-HIGH-FLOW-CAT-CONVERTER-LX-EX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb35d5601QQitemZ20057 7734145QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

88lxi-shortram
02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
is it a stock downpipe or a header? you can get header type flanges from summit racing pretty reasonable

its a stck downpipe

well damn guess ebay doesnt even suport 3gs anymore thats when you know its gettting bad LOLOLOL

but for real though the CB uses the same size cat and flanges so this will work just fine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93-HONDA-ACCORD-HIGH-FLOW-CAT-CONVERTER-LX-EX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb35d5601QQitemZ20057 7734145QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

im going to ride out to honda today and see if they can check so i can be 100% sure

88lxi-shortram
02-22-2011, 06:31 AM
o yea and by the way ill be shipping your stuff out this weekend lost

lostforawhile
02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
its a stck downpipe

im going to ride out to honda today and see if they can check so i can be 100% sure

i have an entire downpipe and flex coupling off of my old system, but it doesn't have any flanges, do you have the single downpipe? if it can be of use to you, i can cut part of it off, but it would cost a lot to ship

88lxi-shortram
02-22-2011, 04:56 PM
i ordered the part today so i dont need yours anymore. but thanks for helping :). but your relays are going out tomoro so be ready