PDA

View Full Version : OBD I, or OBD II?

soonerck
02-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Is it possible to upgrade the black box to OBD I or II on an 85 Accord SE-i? It seems like I saw a thread on here somewhere talking about it, but I cant find it anywhere.

88lxi-shortram
02-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Search search search search.. idk about obd2 but obd1 is I think

Rendon LX-i
02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
You can't convert the black box to obd1-2 but you can convert the ecu to obd1.

Obd2 is not possble . Are cars don't hAve the extra sensors that obd2 has N it's pointless

2ndGenGuy
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM
There's not going to be a definitive guide for your car. But it should be a fairly similar process as the OBD-I conversion for a 3g Accord. If you do the conversion, you will be the first to do it on a 2g SEi. You will be able to use similar parts, like the same distributor as the A20, and probably will be a similar wiring project. Components will most likely be located differently though.

soonerck
02-22-2011, 08:49 AM
If you do the conversion, you will be the first to do it on a 2g SEi.

Yikes! I'm not the pioneering type. If everything I do is undoable though, I might give it a whirl.

What would be the advantages to making the switch, besides using the scanner? Can you tune with a Laptop with obdI? Would trouble shooting be that much improved?

2ndGenGuy
02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
There's not really much advantage for a stock engine. Just converting to OBD-I won't give you any advantages really at all unless you modify the ECU after the conversion to take some sort of a tunable setup. A stock OBD-I system won't have any extra tunability, and as far as I know you still have to read flashes to get codes.

To get the tunability and be able to read the ECU output, you have to either change out to an aftermarket ECU or use some sort of replacement chip for the stock OBD-I ECU. I've never done it personally, so I don't know all the details. But hopefully this will point you in the right direction.