PDA

View Full Version : What are my options?

SettleMoore
02-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Well, we have this 89 accord lxi with 325k on the motor(dad bought it brand new), ran fine until we let our cousin use it. Now whenever it starts you here this extremely loud clicking sound that gets louder as the rpms rise. I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't care about the car at the time but what they told my dad a year or so ago since it's been sitting is that two of the pistons or rods or whatever are bad, I think they said replace the motor. I was wondering is this my only option? Could I possibly rebuild the motor myself?
If you guys need more info or something let me know, I honestly don't know much about all this

A18A
02-21-2011, 06:01 AM
You can rebuild the motor yourself, but it will probably be cheaper to just replace it with a used one in good condition.

SettleMoore
02-21-2011, 06:15 AM
I see...Well I found a good motor for 150 but after all this time dad changed his mind on wanting to fix it up, he might let the junkyard have it...Hopefully I can get a job soon or something, I really want to work on this during the summer and have it ready so I have something to drive to college next year

Dr_Snooz
02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Vid of said clicking?

2ndGenGuy
02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
For $150 and some time investment, you would probably have a car that would do another 100,000-200,000 miles. Would be kind of a shame to junk it for just that reason. How is the rest of the car? I mean, you could junk it, but you probably won't get nearly as good of a car for $150. You could put in the new engine and then sell it even... and put that money towards another car.

SettleMoore
02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Rest of the body is fine, no rust I can see although there has to be some somewhere. And...I don't really have a means of getting a video, sorry.

mykwikcoupe
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
clicking might be as simple as a valve job. its worth a little more time checking it out.

SettleMoore
02-21-2011, 10:34 AM
It's been looked at, two of the pistons are fucked up, both mechanics say needs a new motor but these aren't the most....intelligent gents on the planet if you catch my drift. I was wondering if I could just re-build it or do I have to find a new engine, take mine out, and put that one in.

Oldblueaccord
02-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Since you dad wants to junk it I would take it apart yourself and see how it works. You can't make it any worse its blown anyway.

The pistons being bad usually cause scratches in the cylinder walls that an engine machine shop would have to rebore if its even fixable.

wp

SettleMoore
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah when it gets a bit warmer out I'm definitely gonna take it apart. And I just went outside to double check, car has no rust on the body and one dent, would be a shame to see him just throw it away. Hopefully I'll get a job soon so I can at least get it running or something

MessyHonda
02-21-2011, 11:17 PM
yeah it depends on what you want to do. My mom bought a accord brand new and the trans went out so they replaced the motor and trans with a Japanese motor with low miles and it worked till the headgasket failed...replaced it and drove it again till it would not pass smog. its a good car to wrench on because the junkyard has most of the parts.