PDA

View Full Version : Removing gauge cluster

Charbo88
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Can someone help me figure out how to take out my gauge cluster? I'm going to put new lights in but I can't get it out. I took off the bezel around the gauges with the 3 screws and removed the 4 screws that hold the cluster, but it won't come out at all. I can't even get to the back to disconnect the wires. Also my lights to show what door is open all come on when I press the buton on the dash but they don't come on when the back doors are open.

Ichiban
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
You need to unclip the speedo cable, there's a clip that you have to lift up while pulling, but don't break the clip. It's a bit of a bastard. I'm also pretty sure you need to either pull the steering wheel, or drop the column. Can't remember if it's one, the other, or both.

Good luck.

Charbo88
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Alright thanks, Ill try that today. I have the car at my work right now so I only get to work on it a little bit but I get my license back im 2 1/2 weeks and I want to have it fixed up by then ;-).

Charbo88
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
How do I remove the dash? I figured since I'm pulling the cluster and I want to dye my dash that I might as well do it now too. I removed all the bolts I could see and the ones under the side caps and dropped the steering column, but it still isn't coming off.

Ichiban
02-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Open the doors and pull off the rectangular bolt covers. Then pull out the bolts. Also behind the clock.

Charbo88
02-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks, I got it all unbolted today and got it loose, I just have to unhook the wiring now.

Charbo88
02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I got the dash off, and got the cluster out today. How hard is it to make the gauges light up a differant color? I took the faces off but the green looks like it under the clear plastic.

jasika8745
03-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks, I got it all unbolted today and got it loose, I just have to unhook the wiring now.

Okays.

-----------------------
Thanks and Regards

charliefowle03
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM
For future reference for myself and others, could you list where and what bolts are nessecary to remove in order ti remove the dash. Me personally, I plan on removing it to paint the dash and do some fiberglass work with it. I aytemptedlove to removeyou the clusterground a fewlower days ago just messing around. I was going to see if I could remove the clear cover and ain't the inside gray to a more metallic gray. I also want to change the green yo a blue lighting. Anywhooo... Thanks a bunch

killa_lude
03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
take some pictures please, because i want to do the same