PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel noise when brake applied !

ACCORD EX
10-12-2002, 09:42 AM
hi guys and girls !

i have been having sound coming ( metal to metal sound ) from my rear right wheel when i apply brakes ( slowly ) anyway i got the rear wheel off cleaned the whole assembly , checked the pads , adjusted them and put everything back again ! everything is fine no sound ! after a week the sound came back again ! ? it's exactly as if it's worn pads scraping against the drum but pads are ok ! what could it be from !?

thanx everybody !

MIKE

ACCORD EX
10-13-2002, 11:06 AM
any body !? look above ! ?

MIKE

BoredRec
10-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Sounds like the rear shoes might be glazed....the quick fix is to take the drums off and use a fine grit sandpaper on the surface of the shoes to take off the glaze. You may also need to resurface the drums. Good luck.

Dutchboy
10-13-2002, 03:06 PM
YOu probably will need to repair the self adjusters...

I had this problem for a long time...

Do you notice that the brakes feel looser too?? that the pedal takes more travel?

If so then the adjusters are probably slowly unajusting like mine were on one side ....i took the adjuster off...and bent it so it was tight on the adjuster nut when it was all hooked up...i havent had a problem yet so thats all it was for me...

BEn

smufguy
10-13-2002, 03:24 PM
Never had a chance to come across that kinda problem. Its weird though. What would be the problem of it? I mean, if u had a se-i brake set up and it does it, then its logical to say that ur caliper is frozen, but with drums, i have no clue.

HOw are your drum wall thickness? are they in good shape?
other than that, i dont know what to ask.

ACCORD EX
10-14-2002, 12:36 AM
i think i'll follow ben's advice !
smufguy : the drums are ok ( or they look ok )

BTW when it does that sound i can feel it in my pedal !

MIKE

njpeter
10-14-2002, 04:22 AM
I've had that problem on both of my 88's..I actually bought new drums in hopes of fixing, but the sound went away( seem sot happen more in the warm weather....sure does sound like bad brakes. If you do clean it out..keep in mind that the dust is deady..I generally lay some newspaper under the brakes..hose it down with brake cleaner and then fold the newspaper up an toss it..don't evey used compressed air to clean that stuff..rubber gloves too..same for motor oil.

Dutchboy
10-15-2002, 08:40 AM
DOes the pedal go farther down or does it vibrate???

if it seems to be lower then usual try while driving bring the ebrake up a bit or a click..then hit the brakes and see if they are harder now...
i could adjust my brakes and a week later they were loose again...i dont know why they were unajusting all i know is i tightened those adjusters by bending them more to the nut and now they dont come loose...and no more sound from the rear//

When theres sounds from the rear it mean that the shoes are worn or out of adjustment...when they are hardly contacting the drum the heat builds up quick since they are only scuffing the surface...

adjust the back brakes and see what happens...

BEn

ACCORD EX
10-15-2002, 01:38 PM
i adjusted , cleaned , sanded them today ! tried them and no sound ! i'll see what happens in a week ! :)

thanx guys for all the replies ! :super:

MIKE