PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch questions

anubis_4_99
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
ok, as i mentioned in my intro thread my 89 is an auto theft recovery i bought at the auction, whoever stole it peeled out the ignition key cylinder with a screw driver and made it unusable for a future replacement cylinder.

the time came for me to stop starting my car with a screw driver and i bought a new ignition assembly along with key cylinder and pigtail from u-pull-it cause i got lucky enough to spot one with a key before they crushed it

my question is this

my original ignition had three items with wires and what not coming from them and plugging in somewhere, and i have no idea what they were for

the new ignition only had one of these, and only one spot to mount that one part.

so i just unplugged the entire pigtail they were connected to and it doesnt seem to have effected anything important, but my testing went about as far as starting the car, putting it in gear and calling it good cause it started snowing.

i can post a picture tomorrow but for now i will describe them

one just seems to be a black box with two wires coming from it, this is the one that both ignitions had

#2 is a gold rectangle with a cylinder being magneticaly held in place, and my old ignition seemed to have some type of arm to actuate the cylinder, this as well had a couple wires coming from it.

#3 was another black box but this one had 2-3 wires, and a couple prongs that seemed to somehow contact something, not sure what.

like i said it starts fine, and goes into gear, i just want to make sure i didnt disable something thats important.

my car is a 89 DX 2dr carb

ignition is from similar year LX 4dr carb

none of the other accords i could find had these on them, checked around 12-17, but i also couldnt find a DX OR a 2dr, let alone a DX 2dr

sorry for the long post, and thanks for any info!

Dr_Snooz
02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Pics please. Need to see what you're looking at.

dacantu
02-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Is your car automatic? And was the donor car 5 speed? If so it might possibly be the ignition lock so that the car won't start if its in gear. This is just what came to mind first. You should try starting the car in gear (obviously with your foot on the break for safety)

Also what color are the wires?

lostforawhile
02-26-2011, 12:53 PM
of of those is the key in switch to tell the buzzer control the key is still in, the other is the ignition interlock, five speeds don't have one, only automatics

anubis_4_99
02-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Is your car automatic? And was the donor car 5 speed? If so it might possibly be the ignition lock so that the car won't start if its in gear. This is just what came to mind first. You should try starting the car in gear (obviously with your foot on the break for safety)

Also what color are the wires?

both cars were automatics

good news is those parts missing didnt interfere with the car running or driving properly

i seem to have lost the harness they are attached to, my trunk swallowed it lol, its currently home to my welder, tools, left over pieces of exhaust, two tires, a roadside air compressor, an assortment of about 7 jacks and my driver side door panel lol

so tomorrow i will clean my trunk and post pics lol