PDA

View Full Version : M/T swap issue

broomefamily5
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
I recently swapped from an auto to a manual transmission in my 89 Sei. I had no issues with the mechanical part of the swap. The issue I am having is when I go to shift the trans while driving, the rpms' load to 3000. I can feather the throttle to lower the rpms', but it does it everytime after that as well. Can anyone give some advice on this issue. Thank you.

import racer
02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Maybe the throttle cable is sticking.

broomefamily5
02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I lubed all cables before I reinstalled them. I was wondering about the cruise? Or maybe the ecm. I noticed the Ecm from the donor car was from a 1988, not a 1989. Would this be an issue?

ShyBoyCA6
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
wouldn't be the issue on the ecm part. check your throttle body cable might be adjusted to tight.

broomefamily5
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Any thoughts on the cruise control being the issue? What all is involved in removing the cruise?

charliekuney
02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
The ECM could be an issue if it's from a DX or LX, right?

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
^^^^ The ECM I got with my swap was a dud. It gave me a CEL immediately. I'm using my original ECM now and it works great.

I would definitely rule out any mechanical issues (like sticking cables) before going on to anything more obscure. Lubing the cables does not necessarily help things. Most of the cables on these cars slide in a plastic tube. If the plastic wears through in any spot, you'll get resistance no matter how much grease you put on them. If you were having trouble with the throttle cable before, then you want to replace it.

It's probably also worth checking that the cables aren't kinked or caught anywhere. That can happen when changing the pedal box.

broomefamily5
02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
The Ecm was from a Lxi, and I drove it for 18 months before I stole the trans. The throttle cable was never an issue with the Sei, the automatic just had a hole in it. The issue only happens when I shift. It wont do it at idle. Maybe a vacuum leak at the drivers side area where all the lines are?

charliekuney
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, since there were a few minor differences between the 1988 and 1989 Accords, maybe you need a 1989 ECM. For example, what comes to mind is the fact that 1988's don't have the thing to prevent you from starting the car without the clutch in, but 1989's do. Another thing that comes to mind is you say that it doesn't want to shift at low RPM's...bad clutch?

broomefamily5
03-01-2011, 08:16 AM
It doesnt have an issue shifting. It just loads to 3000 grand when I push the clutch in. The clutch is new, as well as the throw out bearing, and clutch cable. I will change the ecm back to the automatic version that came in the Sei and recheck. Thanks again for all the help.

dacantu
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
The auto ecu will work with no problems. However I do think that you might have a vacuum leak. Follow the diagram on your hood to make sure all of your lines are connected where they should be and not accidentally mismatched.

Also have you tried pulling on your gas pedal backwards? If the RPMs lower significantly when you do so it might be your throttle/throttle cable/throttle cable mounting bracket either something is locking up or isnt allowing free movement of your throttle cable.

2oodoor
03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
yep do not, i repeat do not tie wrap those two cable together under the hood , you know the clutch cable housing and all flexes a bit when you enguage it, as well so can the throttle cable.
Have somebody operate both with engine off, and observe under the hood.

broomefamily5
03-04-2011, 05:39 AM
I rechecked all the vacuum line connections, and found one that was badly split. So I replaced them all. The problem is now fixed. I also rechecked the routing of the throttle cable and it was lightly twisted as well. maybe one turn. Thanks for all the help guys.

MessyHonda
03-05-2011, 02:00 AM
nice find on the vac leak