PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy at 2100 rpm, 45 mph+

DazPhoenix
03-02-2011, 11:28 PM
I just recently bought an '86 Accord DX from a friend of mine. Handles great, starts and runs fine.. but I've noticed that going 45 mph+ up to 2500 RPM, it'll drop down to 2000-2100 rpm and it gets a bit bumpy; but when I step on the gas a little more, it runs fine. If I let off enough to maintain a regular speed, it does the same thing all over again. I've got little to no mechanical know-how, so I don't even know where to begin in troubleshooting. I've tried the search on here, but nothing even remotely similar has come up.

Dr_Snooz
03-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Probably the carb dying. If you can't rebuild it, then you pretty much get to put up with it. Sorry.

DazPhoenix
03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
That could be it. I'm going to check it out as soon as I let the motor cool off.

Buzo
03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I had similar problem with mine, and it's gone with the carb swap. I am not suggesting that swapping is the solution, I am saying that the cause is not the timing, a valve, a leak or anything like that. The problem IS inside the carb. Yeah I know it don't help a lot, but at least you know you need to rebuild that carb. The sooner you accept it, the sooner you fix it.

g.frost
03-04-2011, 09:20 AM
............. I've got little to no mechanical know-how, so I don't even know where to begin in troubleshooting......

Get a bottle of 'Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner' (accept no substitute). Pour the whole bottle in a full tank of gas, and run that through. It helps to get at least some full spirited hiway driving in the mix, to clean up intake valve deposits as well. See if that cures your problem before you get in over your head with the carb....

DazPhoenix
03-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Get a bottle of 'Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner' (accept no substitute). Pour the whole bottle in a full tank of gas, and run that through. It helps to get at least some full spirited hiway driving in the mix, to clean up intake valve deposits as well. See if that cures your problem before you get in over your head with the carb....

Who usually carries it?

g.frost
03-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Who usually carries it?

http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.aspx

Buzo
03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Just opened up the stock carb, now that it is in my bench and not in the car. The only thing I found wrong with were both boost ventury's slightly loose.
I am pretty sure that was one of the first things I checked in my car when I bought it, however I did it with the top cover in place, so its hard to slice your fingers through the choke plates and notice the slight movement.

Check yours and if they are loose it may be ine of the causes of the car bumpying. Here is the how to:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568