PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Explosion!?!

firefighterwhite89
03-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Yep. Attained 2nd degree burns on my right upper arm from it, thanks to the absorbing power of cotton hoodies! Blew up as i was blippin' the throttle. I believe my thermostat took a shit, i'm guessing and didn't open...What do you think? No, the cap had nothing to do with it. At all. It split down the plastic seam on the top. Piece of shit. Took everything in my power not to just beat it with a fuckin' sledge hammer. 2nd degree burns are not fun. :banghead:
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/firefighterwhite89/3-1-11.jpg
Any opinions as to why it might have done this?

Nio
03-03-2011, 04:09 PM
while I don't want to sound like I know for sure what it is. since I don't even know if our car has one. *Google*

if it has a overflow reservoir, it might have clogged and that could have caused it to do that.

but liked I said I'm not certain this is just something I decided to look up to see if I could be of any help.

firefighterwhite89
03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
while I don't want to sound like I know for sure what it is. since I don't even know if our car has one. *Google*

if it has a overflow reservoir, it might have clogged and that could have caused it to do that.

but liked I said I'm not certain this is just something I decided to look up to see if I could be of any help.

Good thought. I do have an overflow tank. I've never used it, though it's still hooked up properly. Never seen anything in the overflow tank though, EVER...I'll check it though. On a side note, the Anti-freeze was VERY rusty colored :/ and there IS an aftermarket thermostat in it, opening at 165*F...I didn't see the reviews on it though, before i got it. I think it was a Dorman? Unsure. I have all my parts receipts though. I always save them. I'll look it up.

Nio
03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
well I remember in the post that I had read *the one that I got this idea from*

said that its possible for the thermostat to melt and cause a clog as well.

:D just trying to be as much help as possible.

firefighterwhite89
03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
well I remember in the post that I had read *the one that I got this idea from*

said that its possible for the thermostat to melt and cause a clog as well.

:D just trying to be as much help as possible.

Thank You. I'll Check That Too As Well.

lostforawhile
03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
the explosion didn't cause the split, the split caused the explosion, the radiator was probably ready to go, when it split, all the pressure was released from the system, when this happened, all the coolant instantly boiled, and BOOM!!!

1813mdw
03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
if your coolant was rusty then there is a very good chance your tstat stuck. i think there was something else going on w/ the rad. i've overheated my accord due to a stuck tstat and never got any overflow and my rad didn't blow up. is it possible your rad had a "hairline" crack beforehand that you didn't notice?

1813mdw
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
you beat me to it, Lost lol

anubis_4_99
03-04-2011, 05:28 AM
i've had that happen as well on an 89 lx-i i used to have, just pulled off the freeway and into the driveway and opened the hood, and boom!

2nd degree burns on the face and a 5 hour ER visit, that crap sucks

if your worried about the t-stat, replace it, its cheap enough and you may as well while your replacing the rad.

i never did the t-stat or anything else on mine, just slapped in a new rad and she was good to go

sometimes those plastic end tanks just say "enough!" and pop

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
You want to be in the habit of replacing your coolant every 2 years or so. It turns into a nasty acid that eats everything in the cooling system when you let it go and it gets rusty. Mine was like that when I got it. I replaced most of the cooling system before it became reliable again. Thankfully, I sustained no serious burns.

Hope your arm is okay.

w261w261
03-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Ouch! Sorry that happened to you.

I would do some work here. New radiator, new cap, new thermostat, good radiator flush. And put some coolant in the bottle! It's there so that when the car is shut off and the water starts to boil next to the block, raising the system pressure to the value of the thermostat, the thermostat opens and the pressure is relieved to the overflow tank. As the system cools the coolant is siphoned back into the radiator.

If you have never seen any liquid in the tank, that means:
a. You haven't seen it go in and out per above, or
b. There's not enough coolant in the system, or
c. Your radiator cap is not opening at the high pressure part of the cycle, and the overpressure could be doing things like weakening plastic radiator parts.
Hmmm.

Our cars were well-engineered. If you don't take care of them however, they will return the favor.

firefighterwhite89
03-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Ouch! Sorry that happened to you.

I would do some work here. New radiator, new cap, new thermostat, good radiator flush. And put some coolant in the bottle! It's there so that when the car is shut off and the water starts to boil next to the block, raising the system pressure to the value of the thermostat, the thermostat opens and the pressure is relieved to the overflow tank. As the system cools the coolant is siphoned back into the radiator.

If you have never seen any liquid in the tank, that means:
a. You haven't seen it go in and out per above, or
b. There's not enough coolant in the system, or
c. Your radiator cap is not opening at the high pressure part of the cycle, and the overpressure could be doing things like weakening plastic radiator parts.
Hmmm.

Our cars were well-engineered. If you don't take care of them however, they will return the favor.

I gotcha. I was looking at it wrong. Scrape all the shit off, and it had stuff in it. Caked rusty nasty stuff.

firefighterwhite89
03-04-2011, 07:30 PM
the explosion didn't cause the split, the split caused the explosion, the radiator was probably ready to go, when it split, all the pressure was released from the system, when this happened, all the coolant instantly boiled, and BOOM!!!

I did notice it afterward. In other spots on the top, and bottom that didn't blow.

You want to be in the habit of replacing your coolant every 2 years or so. It turns into a nasty acid that eats everything in the cooling system when you let it go and it gets rusty. Mine was like that when I got it. I replaced most of the cooling system before it became reliable again. Thankfully, I sustained no serious burns.

Hope your arm is okay.

The guy i got it from did EVERYTHING, BUT drain and flush the cooling system. I have a log, Starting November of 87, For All Maintenance required Intervals. Only one missing is cooling maintenance. As for the arm, been a week or so:
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/firefighterwhite89/arm.jpg

i've had that happen as well on an 89 lx-i i used to have, just pulled off the freeway and into the driveway and opened the hood, and boom!

2nd degree burns on the face and a 5 hour ER visit, that crap sucks

if your worried about the t-stat, replace it, its cheap enough and you may as well while your replacing the rad.

i never did the t-stat or anything else on mine, just slapped in a new rad and she was good to go

sometimes those plastic end tanks just say "enough!" and pop

For saftey reasons, I'm still somewhat scared to approach the radiator after it has ran.

if your coolant was rusty then there is a very good chance your tstat stuck. i think there was something else going on w/ the rad. i've overheated my accord due to a stuck tstat and never got any overflow and my rad didn't blow up. is it possible your rad had a "hairline" crack beforehand that you didn't notice?

Chilled with my "dad" and cut the spring/thermostat valve out, with the "ring" still left. Just in case. I can't even afford another Tstat ATM. :hs: Radiator killed my check nearly, But it's in, AND running!!! :/

firefighterwhite89
03-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Thermosensor in the Radiator is going bye bye too. 50/50 chance it works. So it's shorted for now to run whenever the ign is on. O.o

Nio
03-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Man I'm sorry to hear you went though so much trouble over all this, And sorry about your arm as well. I hope it gets better real fast.

firefighterwhite89
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I actually, believe i have a blown head gasket somehow, EVEN THOUGH, the fucker is less than 6 months old. Must have left something from the old gasket or something, god forbid it's now warped. I installed it according to the book though. The moment you crank it though, the water bubbles, constantly and the pressure exceeds 16psi by far. And it keeps blowing my coolant lines, left and right. 4 hoses in a days time blown. And that fuckin' miss i can't get rid of, unless 50% throttle or more. Never runs hot til' all its water is gone though. Sound like the head gasket to ya'll?

lostforawhile
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I actually, believe i have a blown head gasket somehow, EVEN THOUGH, the fucker is less than 6 months old. Must have left something from the old gasket or something, god forbid it's now warped. I installed it according to the book though. The moment you crank it though, the water bubbles, constantly and the pressure exceeds 16psi by far. And it keeps blowing my coolant lines, left and right. 4 hoses in a days time blown. And that fuckin' miss i can't get rid of, unless 50% throttle or more. Never runs hot til' all its water is gone though. Sound like the head gasket to ya'll?

the way to be sure is to get a test kit, it has strips that go in the coolant and test for combustion byproducts, it sure sounds like it though

anubis_4_99
03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
For saftey reasons, I'm still somewhat scared to approach the radiator after it has ran.

understandable, took me a few weeks to touch a rad when it was still even warm

to this day i still use a towel when i open the cap and its warm

but i've since moved onto getting 2nd degree burns while lighting a furnace lol

neosporin will help that heal nice, trust me! glad your on the mend

w261w261
03-08-2011, 06:28 AM

The head basket has a small leak to the coolant that is pumping up the system. The head could be warped from previously being overheated. Prob need to take it off and visit a machine shop.

OR, go to moroso.com or an auto store and get a $15 can of head gasket repair. Note you have to completely flush the cooling system to get all the antifreeze out before using it. It worked perfectly for me on an old Volvo V 6 that would otherwise been junked.

Do an advanced search under my name with the words "head gasket" for more info.

firefighterwhite89
03-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Actually, i have tracked down the culprit i believe. I used old head bolts so i could save $14.99 a bolt($160 total).:rant: Fail on my part i guess. Miata bolts from factory are $12.99ea...Not much cheaper. And it's NEVER overheated. Every time it blew a coolant line while driving, the moment i smell that sweet smell, i shut the car off and coast in neutral to pull off. I'm no idiot. The temp gauge has never past the middle of the gauge for me. Running with the thermostat itself, knocked out of the ring it comes in, the car never heats up past the C on the gauge, so whenever it rises beyond the C, something leaking. :) :gun: I'll still check it for warpage though, as per Honda Service Manual for the EUDM accords states...It's always one thing after another w/this car, but i love it so much, who COULD get rid of one? ROFL

Since i deleted the EGR tube too, it runs so smoother, and much much cooler. And now i can touch my intake without attaining burns.

Dr_Snooz
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
You shouldn't need to change the head bolts.

lostforawhile
03-13-2011, 06:03 PM

they stretch over time, then they won't torque as well, they are under a huge amount of load, one of those things that's best to spend the extra money on

firefighterwhite89
03-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Eh...After 300,000 miles of use, at least 30K of me driving like a nut sometimes...They've probably seen their better days anyways. It's prolly time.