PDA

View Full Version : timing belt replacement made easier??

rocky2
10-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Everybody that has ever did a timing belt while still in car knows how tough it is.
I have thought of a possible untried method. Take out the axles and lossen the front and back motor mounts and remove the one at at timing belt. Then let the engine and trans TILT!! with timing belt facing upward!! When I did my engine I was amazed that it was centered and balanced as such. May try it soon cause I found what may be a 3-g for sale that has a blown timing belt.

anchovies
10-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Do you have enough to loosen/torque the bolts without damaging anything else like that?

YK86
10-12-2002, 04:50 PM
It sounds like alot more work especially the axle removing part. Also, when I loosend the side mount bolts (when removing the engine/tranny), the whole thing tried to tilt down so I had to hold it underneath the oil pan with a jack and block.

BoredRec
10-13-2002, 01:06 AM
:wtf:
Timing belts on these cars are hella easy! I did two last week! Takes me maybe 2 hours to change all the belts and the water pump. There's no real trick into it. The closest I come to doing what you did is to take out the side mount and use a jack under the enging and jack it up so it points more towards the top, easier to get to some of the bolts. Maybe it's easier for me cuz I do a lot of them, and I use the lift (can't remember the times I worked on my car without, blocked them out). Just make sure you keep everything at TDC, otherwise you'll be hating life.

BoredRec
10-13-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by rocky2
May try it soon cause I found what may be a 3-g for sale that has a blown timing belt.

Make sure you do a cylinder leak down on if before you throw a belt on it. It may have bent valves, and a timing belt won't do you a lot of good if that's the case. And yes, you can do a cylinder leak down without the belt.

ACCORD EX
10-13-2002, 10:54 AM
loosning the shafts isn't as easy as you think ! :(

MIKE

smufguy
10-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
loosning the shafts isn't as easy as you think ! :(

MIKE

true that;)