PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder swap problem....lost a mounting nut

GhEtTo 88 HB DX 5spd
10-12-2002, 03:53 PM
i am installing a rebuilt master cylinder out in the street....had just about finished mounting it to the frame via the two studs and nuts that hold it...problem is that it was getting dark and i dont have a flashlight. the lower nut fell and i cant find it anywhere...my question is does this really matter for right now if i tighten the other one? it seems to me that this is the dry part of the master cylinder and that i should be able to make it over to the auto parts store without losing fluid etc...

your suggestions please

thx

SiR
10-12-2002, 04:39 PM
I wouldnt risk it, if so some reason you master cylinder breaks off the booster, you lose complete braking power. Just your hand brake would work.

Rooz

smufguy
10-12-2002, 10:52 PM
get that 12mm bolt in the morning, u need it if u want to have a water tight seal.

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Yea don't drive it with just 1 bolt on there. Since the brakes are power, you usually don't realize just how much pressure the little rod coming from the booster puts on the master cylinder, but it's quite a bit (try unhooking the hose to the booster and try stopping with the brake pedal, and you'll see what I mean ;)) With only 1 bolt it could bend and/or break the mounting plate on the master cylinder, and/or damage the booster.

If you can't find the nut that goes on there, try to find another one somewhere on the car that you can SAFELY take off temporarily and use to get to the store and get another. Since almost every nut on our cars is either 10, 12, or 14mm, that shouldn't be too difficult

:)

Mike's89AccordLX
10-12-2002, 11:36 PM
:smoking:

Mike's89AccordLX
10-12-2002, 11:37 PM
whoops, I can't remember those things, huh can't remember what they're even called.

BoredRec
10-13-2002, 01:11 AM
Find a telescopic magnet and use that to fish out the nut. It usually likes to hide somewhere on top of the rear beam, but sometimes you get lucky and it stays on the sheetmetal under the booster. Plus, if you drive it, you could easily jar it loose from its resting place, causing you to lose it forever.

smufguy
10-13-2002, 01:01 PM
dude, if u really cant get that, go to the locak junk and pull out a 12mm bolt. anybolt would be fine.

GhEtTo 88 HB DX 5spd
10-13-2002, 05:53 PM
tried to use the telescoping magnet to get the nut...no luck couldnt find it

took the risk cause i have no friends :P and made it to the boneyard for that nut

thanks guys