PDA

View Full Version : Painting Interior...

89accordlxigentyers
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
i have been thinking about ditching the shit brown color in my 3gee and going black and blue with it. Has anyone painted there seats carpet dash pillars headliner ect??? I know that duplicolor has interior paint just not to sure how to prep everything what about good ole elbow grease dawn and water??? just let me know what yall think...

A18A
03-05-2011, 10:55 PM
i used some shitty cheap paint on all the plasticy things like the dashboard, centre consoles, door trims etc.... that lasted a few years before it started to look shitty. all i did was give it a good wipe down before painting. things like the door sill pieces, the paint came off where it gets scratched easily by feet and such. never bothered with paint the fabric stuff like seats, pillars, headliners & carpet. though i did use the same paint and sprayed a patch on some old seats and left them out in the weather for a good year, and that is still black and not crusty lol

frantik
03-06-2011, 12:51 AM
if you don't do lots of prep, eventually it will just look worse cause the paint will chip

import racer
03-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Make sure everything you want to paint is super clean,thats the most important thing about making it last.

RAZR
03-06-2011, 02:18 PM
i have been thinking about ditching the shit brown color in my 3gee and going black and blue with it. Has anyone painted there seats carpet dash pillars headliner ect??? I know that duplicolor has interior paint just not to sure how to prep everything what about good ole elbow grease dawn and water??? just let me know what yall think...

ITS ALL IN THE PREP WORK 90 percent prep
10 percent painting

MessyHonda
03-06-2011, 07:31 PM
dont use the dyplicolor. if you can get some SEM interior paint its like 12 bucks a can but its worth it. like these guys said prep work is what is going to make it look like the car came factory with that color. i used a primer after i sanded it down with 400 grit sandpaper and then shot it with some SEM paint

89accordlxigentyers
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
ok so say for the prep i were to use paint stripper or mineral oil would that work or is that too harsh to use on the dash and such??

import racer
03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Dish soap and warm water,no mineral oil.

89accordlxigentyers
03-07-2011, 09:49 PM
k thanks for the heads up ir... i figured that mineral oil would eat away at the plastics and the dash...

frantik
03-07-2011, 11:41 PM
i use rubbing alcohol after washing with soap and water

and wear gloves

sand everything to make sure there is a lot of surface area

get a paint suitable for plastic

etc

2ndGenGuy
03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
dont use the dyplicolor. if you can get some SEM interior paint its like 12 bucks a can but its worth it. like these guys said prep work is what is going to make it look like the car came factory with that color. i used a primer after i sanded it down with 400 grit sandpaper and then shot it with some SEM paint

Where do you pick up your SEM paint, Messy?

MessyHonda
03-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Where do you pick up your SEM paint, Messy?

i got it at a body shop that i would go and work on my car